amazon cruise

mary1949

can anyone tell me whether it is better to us local currency on the amazon or are dollars ok,also is it better to do your own thing at the villages e.g .paritins ,manaus,alto de chao, macapa, or would it be advisable to book a tour. has any one done the day pass trips in montego bay.thanks allan.cruise ship is my voyager sailing from manaus to portsmouth.march 24, 2013.:

• 3 months later...

Mary1949; I have been wandering the same thing as we go in Nov,'13. However I notice no one answered your post. Perhaps you will see this and let me know what you found out while there.

I hope you had a nice cruise.

Helen

hi ,thanks for the query, as regards currency on the amazon. dollars are king but take small denominations.if you need to buy something small you may have to nip into a bank to change some into local currency.

• 3 weeks later...
We did a cruise earlier this year that included many stops in the Amazon. We just used USA currency and had absolutely no problems.

I see you are from the UK so I am not sure about British Pounds.

Keith

Hi, which cruise would you recommend for the Amazon please?

Sandy in Spain

Hi, which cruise would you recommend for the Amazon please?

Sandy in Spain

we took Holland America's Amazon Explorer cruise on th Prinsendam round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. One of the most interesting stops was Devils Island French Giuana. It was 23 days. This November it is longer, but the Amazon time is still 8 days. I wrote a review under " Prinsendam."

While not perfect, we spent 8 days on the Amazon. The water level was down 100 feet, making some excursion impossible. It was a thrill anyway just to experience the Amazon.

Princess does a 14 day cruise several times, either flying to Manaus or ending the cruise in Manaus.

Several other cruise lines go, including Oceana.

Karen

we took Holland America's Amazon Explorer cruise on th Prinsendam round trip from Ft. Lauderdale. One of the most interesting stops was Devils Island French Giuana. It was 23 days. This November it is longer, but the Amazon time is still 8 days. I wrote a review under " Prinsendam."

While not perfect, we spent 8 days on the Amazon. The water level was down 100 feet, making some excursion impossible. It was a thrill anyway just to experience the Amazon.

Princess does a 14 day cruise several times, either flying to Manaus or ending the cruise in Manaus.

Several other cruise lines go, including Oceana.

Karen

I knew about Prinsendam and wondering if anyone else besides Princess did the shorter cruise. HAL always has the best itineraries, just too long.

What was not perfect? Were ports/tenders missed or just the excursions?

I knew about Prinsendam and wondering if anyone else besides Princess did the shorter cruise. HAL always has the best itineraries, just too long.

What was not perfect? Were ports/tenders missed or just the excursions?

Ports were dropped, changed, time in ports shortened, and the ship was not ready out of dry dock.

Our "jungle" Amazon excursions weren't "jungly" due to lack of rain....not much could be done about that. You go and hope for the best!

It was still an amazing experience, and we would do it again.

Karen

can anyone tell me whether it is better to us local currency on the amazon or are dollars ok,........ at the villages e.g .paritins ,manaus,alto de chao, macapa, quote]

Just FYI...

It is illegal to use any currency other than the REAL for transactions in Brazil.

(Note: On occasion, a large hotel might facilitate a currency exchange for you, which may seem like you are simply using dollars.)

Ports were dropped, changed, time in ports shortened, and the ship was not ready out of dry dock.

Our "jungle" Amazon excursions weren't "jungly" due to lack of rain....not much could be done about that. You go and hope for the best!

It was still an amazing experience, and we would do it again.

Karen

I understand about going on vacation and hoping for the best!

can anyone tell me whether it is better to us local currency on the amazon or are dollars ok,........ at the villages e.g .paritins ,manaus,alto de chao, macapa, quote]

Just FYI...

It is illegal to use any currency other than the REAL for transactions in Brazil.

(Note: On occasion, a large hotel might facilitate a currency exchange for you, which may seem like you are simply using dollars.)

Vendors along the Amazon took dollars at all our stops. Even the gift shop at the Teatro Amazonas opera house in Manaus took US Dollars.

We ended up giving the Reals we brought as tips on our excursions. Price were in Dollars in many cases, and vendors seemed to want the Dollars.

Unfortunately I cashed in all my Reals (at a loss!) on our return, and now we are going back to Brazil. I thought the Brazillian currency was beautiful.

Karen

Archived