Merida on my own with a child

mgnewman11

Going to dock in Progresso and plan to make it into Merida for shopping and a little sightseeing. I am a single father and will be traveling with my son who is 4 and 1/2. My main question is easiest way to get to Merida from the ship. It seems AutoProgreso buses are best bet. Am I reading that right?

Second, aside from markets (even at 4, Isaac freaking LOVES outdoor markets) anything kid-friendly in Merida? Figure a carriage ride (we live in NOLA and there are 4 or 5 tour guides who know isaac and I on sight:)) but otherwise stumped. as far as experienced I have been to Mexico many times and am comfortable even in what some people insist on calling the "REAL" Mexico. Also fluent and idiomatic in spanish.

Third: bringing nanny and her best friend, both early 20s. They might be intrested in just hangout on beach in Progreso. Neither have been to Mexico, neither speak spanish. Both are street-saavy, having grown up in NOLA, especially the Quarter. So not TOTAL babes in the woods, but probably not up for much adventure. Best beach/drinks/swim options?

Thanks in advance for your input

Mark

Carnival Elation, March 28

• 3 months later...

Can't answer about kid friendly things in Merida but AutoProgreso is a reliable company to use. You will actually be riding one of their busses from the pier into Progreso. As far as a beach for the others, the main beach in Progreso is free but they will be approached over and over by vendors. They aren't pushy but as soon as you tell one "no" there will be another. Once we walked way down the beach far enough to where we had a little privacy. For a nicer beach experience, AP offers a trip to Technotel for beach time, drinks, and food all for one price.