Do you have a cruise tradition?

MellieInWI

We're new to cruising, but we've been buying magnets for every port we stop at. Not terribly creative, but it's a fun reminder when we see them on the fridge.

Is there something you do on each and every cruise - a tradition of sorts? I'd love to hear it.

I buy magnets too.....it's easy to forget all the places you've been.

I travel with a group and we traditionally get on the ship early and go directly to the pool bar. We all try to get our cocktails and have our first toast before noon because "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." :D Ironically, none of us really drink that much the rest of the week.

I collect French Limoges and it is not easy to find on most of the Islands.

I always manage to find and bring home at least 1 piece of it from our cruises.

Curacao and St. Maarten are about the only places left where I can still buy it.

HMM< let me see. My DH and I have a routine that we always follow once we board the ship. We go to the Windjammer before the crowd gets there. Then we go to the dining room to check out of table. If need be, we make adjustments. We like a table for 2. Then, after going to our cabin and dropping off our backpack, we do whatever pleases us. CRUISES are great !!!

We get a Christmas tree ornament at each new port we visit to hang on our Travel Tree;

I have a charm bracelet that I purchase one maybe two charms representing a favorite thing we did on that particular cruise;

my daughter always kisses the floor when we first arrive on the ship either in the lobby or once we get into our room. It's dirty, I know this...

We buy a magnet from each port and each ship. In fact, everywhere we travel we buy a magnet - Disney World, Bush Gardens, Sea World, etc. Our refrigerator is being overcome by magnets, but that just means we're fortunate enough to be able to go to these places - and they're a great reminder of fun times. They're also very useful if you buy good magnets that really hold things.

When we board the ship, we do the typical things mentioned - check dining room seating (but doing MTD this time), eat in the Windjammer, etc. Our first drink is always a Corona, as it was on our first cruise.

PRE-CRUISE:

2 DD's & I get pedicures with palm tree designs before we leave and matching flip flops for our outfits!

Hubby gets a haircut...lol!

WHILE CRUISING:

Take a Caribbean family pic to use for our Christmas card.

POST CRUISE:

Put our deposit down on our next cruise...

pre-cruise:

we book way ahead so we do a countdown celebration. we baked a cake when we had 299 days until the cruise. we made cupcakes for 199. can't wait to celebrate 99 days:)

onboard:

i know i am on a cruise because for lunch we are eating honeystrung chicken. i don't even like it that much but it lets me know we are on a cruise!!!

My DW buys magnets also at every port!! Hey it makes her happy! :)

My tradition is to get some kind of flowers for my DW in the cabin...the last time I also got her a fruit basket. It makes for a more romantic cruise guys...hint!! :D :D

My best friend and I cruise every year. We always buy magnests and shot glasses from ports we visit for the first time and shot glasses from the ship we're cruising for the first time. Pre-cruise ritual for me is a pedicure with a palm tree design or just any design. Once on board, we hit the Windjammer and order a drink afterwards. We gradually work our way up, during the cruise, to the Love Connection. When I have that drink, I know I'm on a cruise!

We take the framed picture we had taken on our very first (honeymoon) cruise in 1991 and set it on the side table in our cabin.

Then we joke around with the cabin steward about how we look exactly the same as we did back then LOL.

The wife and I have Lemon Drops at the highest bar on the ship.

After all the anticipation and hustle getting to the ship, boarding, etc, this signals the real start of our cruise vacation.

We do a lot of things already mentioned here.

Our favorite tradition is we always take a picture of us standing in front of our cabin door with the cabin number showing. Over the years its funny to see how we started on deck 3 or 4 and now its 8 and above. ;)

We have to fly down with a HUGE bag of licorice. That is the first tradition.

I take a picture of every ship in port. That is the second tradition.

We eat a "cruise doughnut" every morning. That is the third tradition.

I am sure we have more, but those are the three that my husband and I joke about and talk about all the time.

On day 1 we walk the entire ship one deck at a time. We used to start from the bottom and work our way up but when we were on Liberty I asked the kids if they would mind if we started from the top and worked our way down. BIG ship! It started as a way to learn the ship way back on the Viking Serenade but we've done it every cruise since, even if we've been on that ship before.

Steve

We're new to cruising, but we've been buying magnets for every port we stop at. Not terribly creative, but it's a fun reminder when we see them on the fridge.

Is there something you do on each and every cruise - a tradition of sorts? I'd love to hear it.

Coffee on our balcony each and every morning. And of course the every two weeks mani/pedi JUST before the cruise. And obviously fresh highlights in the hair. Can't wait till March 2010.

Archived