What are important places to see in Belfast, Ireland?

We will be in Belfast, Ireland in August and would love some important places to see in Belfast?

Don't miss the Titanic Museum--it's worth several hours of your time. The architecture alone is spectacular and the exhibits are very well done.

One of our more memorable tours was the political mural tour - the bulk of the excursion was to the Giants Causeway, but on the way back, the guide took us into Belfast and spent about an hour and a half showing us the murals, telling about the history of protestant/catholic conflict, took us to the catholic memorial and the Peace Wall, etc.

One of our more memorable tours was the political mural tour - the bulk of the excursion was to the Giants Causeway, but on the way back, the guide took us into Belfast and spent about an hour and a half showing us the murals, telling about the history of protestant/catholic conflict, took us to the catholic memorial and the Peace Wall, etc.

We did the same thing - went on a van tour with others to Giants Causeway and around that part of Ireland taking in a castle, a rope bridge walkway, and the place where a scene from Game of Thrones was filmed. We also had maybe 45 minutes or so in Belfast. I have to admit that one thing I remember best was the last hour in Belfast. We saw the murals and Peace Wall, and then as we were leaving, someone was closing and padlocking a big gate behind us. It was explained that this was done to reduce traffic between the mostly-Catholic areas and mostly Protestant areas. It was pretty chilling to realize that all this turmoil was still going on and that a barricade was used to keep things calm.

Depending upon where you dock, you may be able to at least see the Titanic Museum across the way. It's a striking building.

If you're old, and a Van Morisson fan, you could go past his old house in Belfast

Edited by roothy123

If you're old, and a Van Morisson fan, you could go past his old house in Belfast

They let young people go past his house as well. No segregation now! :D

If you are a Van Fan, then there is a newly established 'Trail' which covers a lot of the sites mentioned in his songs. Just make sure you stay on the bright side of the road!

http://www.connswatergreenway.co.uk/vanmorrisontrail

They let young people go past his house as well. No segregation now! :D

If you are a Van Fan, then there is a newly established 'Trail' which covers a lot of the sites mentioned in his songs. Just make sure you stay on the bright side of the road!

http://www.connswatergreenway.co.uk/vanmorrisontrail

Thanks for the laugh!

If I get back to Belfast, maybe I'll check out the Van Trail, as I hadn't heard of it. I used to love Van...still kind of love Van.

Very interested in doing a similar tour this July. would you mind sharing which tour company you used and whether you recommend them?

Very interested in doing a similar tour this July. would you mind sharing which tour company you used and whether you recommend them?

Here's info on the company WE used, and hopefully the other poster will give you the name of the company he/she used (unless the poster took a ship's tour, which is possible). There were six of us in a van. I found the other 4 from our Roll Call. The company was City & Causeway Tours. I DO recommend them, although it's helpful if you give the driver/guide a little bit of information on your desired style for touring. We were a pretty quiet group and our guide was fairly quiet as well. He told us the essentials but did not talk all the time when we were driving. That was fine for us as we do a lot of research pre-trip, but a few of the others thought he should have talked more. (If I had known that, I would have said something early on!) He DID, however, give us good info about the murals, Peace Wall, conflict in No. Ireland, etc. The info for Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Dunluce Castle, and northern Ireland in general was adequate but less inclusive. The 6 of us, for example, went down to Giant's Causeway while he stayed in the parking lot. (Perhaps all guides do that; not sure. It was fine for us.) Of course, if you get a different driver, he/she may be a non-stop talker, which you may or may not want.

We spent only about an hour in Belfast itself, but I thought it was adequate to see the political stuff. There may, however, be tours that go into more detail, and spend more time there. I loved the stuff out in the countryside, so was glad we included those on the tour. To some extent, you can customize the tour. Here's a summary of what we planned to do (and pretty much did, with minor changes) 2 summers ago. (Nobody walked across the bridge, as we were afraid it would take too much time, and I was the only one who was considering it.)

Alistair Cheyne (owner of City & Causeway Tours): 270 pounds, or $68 each. Get on coast road at Larne, total 2 hr. 15 min. ride up coast to Carrick-a-Rede. Will walk over bridge, see Dunluce Castle, skip Distillery, see “dark side” of Belfast, go to Giant's Causeway. If want to go to Royal Portrush Golf Course by Dunluce, could go there; could do snack at Wee Cottage in Bushmills near Dunluce; can drop people one place & others another.

My pictures are here if you want to see what we did: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/belfast__dublin&page=all

I may be thinking of Dublin, but if not, one place of interest to me was the old Celtic site of Glendalough. There are lots of small group van tours that go there.

Roothy, we are booked with City & Causeway in September and either Alister or Stevie will be our guide (according to Alister.) Do you remember the name of your driver? I don't want him to chatter non-stop, but I would like a running commentary about what we're seeing.

Roothy, we are booked with City & Causeway in September and either Alister or Stevie will be our guide (according to Alister.) Do you remember the name of your driver? I don't want him to chatter non-stop, but I would like a running commentary about what we're seeing.

Never mind, I looked at your photos (beautiful - thank you!) and saw that his name was Michael. I loved the Dark Hedges photos; I made sure to include that in our itinerary and I'm glad I did after seeing your pics!

Yes, Alister was busy with another group that day. I thought Michael was fine, and really, some of the time you will just be traveling in pretty, rolling countryside as you travel up north. I would suggest if you want to hear a lot about Northern Ireland you give Stevie some clues, or ask some questions. Keep in mind, however, that he both drives and talks, so he can only do so much while he's driving. At the Giant's Causeway there is of course, the legend of the Giant that you will hear, but after that it's really just a matter of walking or climbing around wherever you want to go, with no narrative needed.

Michael was pretty low-keyed, but he WAS personable and approachable, so it worked for us. I only mention it because one of the foursome we were with mentioned that she thought he would talk more, so she was planning to tip, but not as much as she might for someone who provided more info. The bottom line, I think, is that if you have a question, or want more information, just ask!

Yep, those trees were enchanting. I still haven't watched Game of Thrones to see the trees on film. Would you happen to know what episode I could watch to see them? We only have Netflix but maybe they have the series...

Thanks for looking at my pictures!

Roothy,

Here is what I found about the Dark Hedges scene:

This beautiful avenue of beech trees was planted by the Stuart family in the eighteenth century.

It was intended as a compelling landscape feature to impress visitors as they approached the entrance to their Georgian mansion, Gracehill House.

Two centuries later, the trees remain a magnificent sight and have become one of the most photographed natural phenomena in Northern Ireland.

In fact, the iconic trees have been used as a filming location in HBO's epic series Game of Thrones, representing the King's Road.

FEATURED SCENE

Season 2, episode 1: On the King' s Road, Arya Stark has escaped from King’s Landing, disguised as a boy. She is with Yoren, Gendry, Hot Pie and others who are to join the Night’s Watch, in a cart, travelling north on the King’s Road.

Roothy,

Here is what I found about the Dark Hedges scene:

This beautiful avenue of beech trees was planted by the Stuart family in the eighteenth century.

It was intended as a compelling landscape feature to impress visitors as they approached the entrance to their Georgian mansion, Gracehill House.

Two centuries later, the trees remain a magnificent sight and have become one of the most photographed natural phenomena in Northern Ireland.

In fact, the iconic trees have been used as a filming location in HBO's epic series Game of Thrones, representing the King's Road.

FEATURED SCENE

Season 2, episode 1: On the King' s Road, Arya Stark has escaped from King’s Landing, disguised as a boy. She is with Yoren, Gendry, Hot Pie and others who are to join the Night’s Watch, in a cart, travelling north on the King’s Road.

Thank you! I'm off to check Netflix...