Blu Formal Night

dinosaurdem

We were on the Infinity last spring for B2B cruises. We were in an Aqua Class cabin for both legs. Our experience was that for both cruises most folks did wear formal dress on formal nights even though the dress code for Blu is always smart casual. Most men wore either dark suites, dinner jackets or tuxes. And the women wore losts of glitter.

On our Equinox Caribbean cruise last March I'd say that the majority of the diners in Blu were dressed formally. But there were enough dressed smart casual that one would not feel out of place dressed either way. So dress how you'd like.

Isn't the dress code in the theater formal on formal nights (or is it just shirts and sandals that are frowned upon ).

Oh man - we could use s dress code spreadsheet !!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sandi:

The dress code in the theater is smart casual every night although they are really not great at enforcing it. Note the last sentence.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with the dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. We thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and understanding. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual & Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

By the way, had a great time in Illinois at the library's and the museum, we did a lot of research, had a long lost relative who went to school with Abe's son and also several relatives buried in the cemetary with Lincoln.

It was nice having alone time with our daughter since she is so busy.

On our Equinox Caribbean cruise last March I'd say that the majority of the diners in Blu were dressed formally. But there were enough dressed smart casual that one would not feel out of place dressed either way. So dress how you'd like.

Much appears to be itinerary based, on my recent Bermuda cruise if I saw a dozen tuxes on formal night it was a lot. Should point out in fairness that our cruise was only 6 days and had only 1 formal night.

What's the dress code in Blu on formal nights? What does it actually look like?

smart casual but you will NOT be out of place at all in suits or tuxes....seemed to be about half and half on our Equinox and on our Silhouette cruise in the last year.

I think it all depends on the length of the cruise and where your cruising, however usually most people are dressed formally in Blu.However there is a mixture of dark suits and most wear ties also. I find most evenings in blu everyone is quiet well dressed and most men do wear a jacket.

I think that Celebrity cruises is one of the only lines that you see more tuxes now the rest have become a lot more relaxed.

Barry.

I think part of going a cruise is meeting people and get dressed for dinner. But everyone is different. I blame the airlines for cutting the baggage allowance for you his in the states. Makes it harder for you guys to pack.

F-O-R-M-A-L NIGHT. That is your first hint!:eek:

Not from what you read on the Celebrity site..it is only formal night in the MAIN DINNING ROOM which thankfully can easily be avoided by dinning in Blu and specialty restaurants by those of us who do not police what others are wearing.;)

WRONG!!! IT IS FORMAL NIGHT - UNLESS YOU WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN YOUR STATEROOM! IT IS CALLED "FORMAL NIGHT" FOR A REASON!:eek:

The OP's question was about BLU restaurant, and it is smart casual every evening.

To the OP, we have always followed the ship's guidelines, but one of the reasons we chose AQU and BLU is so we can skip bringing formal wear on our Celebrity cruise. This past April (HAL not Celebrity) I wore a gown on the 3 formal nights, as I have done on every cruise that requires it, but have been one of the only people on these ships continually doing this, so (unless we change our minds), won't be bringing any formal wear on our Silhouette cruise. We are also down to one suitcase each.

I hope we don't have trouble getting into BLU, as I understand it is very popular with Suite Guests on formal nights who don't want to dress up and go to the MDR.

Right from the Celebrity Website:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

OP, you will be fine in smart casual or above.

We're dining in Blu on the same cruise as you, and really enjoy the overall Blu experience. It's a smart chic place that beholds itself to one consistently simple premise when it comes to attire, and that is smart casual.

I would much rather see somebody smiling, relaxed and comfortable while dining than tense and uncomfortable. Enjoy yourself, and come by our table to say "Hi".

I'll be the one squirming in a tux...;-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

I'll confirm that formal attire is not required in Blu. The official dress code for Blu and the specialty restaurants on the ship is "Smart Casual and Above" every night including formal nights. This is true even through dressing smart casual on formal nights sounds like a contradiction.

The policy did change a year or so ago and some people might not have been aware of this change. If anyone doubts this then they should look it up on Celebrity's web site, current Celebrity brochure or their cruise documents.

The key word in the dress code is "above" (as in Smart Casual and Above) and you'll find plenty of people wearing formal attire in these venues on formal night even though it is not required and at the same time will see people dressed in smart casual attire. Even on non-formal nights you'll see people dressed very nicely and there will be a few men in sport jackets or blazers on non formal nights.

Personally, we enjoy the formal nights and to us that is a part of cruising. We are very happy that there are others that dress formally in Blu and the specialty restaurants. There are enough people dressed up that the evening still feels special. The fact that others are dressed casually does not bother me as long as the official dress code for their dining areas allows for smart casual attire as it does in Blu.

We're dining in Blu on the same cruise as you, and really enjoy the overall Blu experience. It's a smart chic place that beholds itself to one consistently simple premise when it comes to attire, and that is smart casual.

I would much rather see somebody smiling, relaxed and comfortable while dining than tense and uncomfortable. Enjoy yourself, and come by our table to say "Hi".

I'll be the one squirming in a tux...;-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

Great post - you have a wonderful attitude. My DH always complains when I insist he wear a suit and tie on formal nights in Blu so we compromised last cruise and he left off the tie - much happier then and not out of place.

We are going to wear smart casual to Blu every night-can you wear this attire to the captains party? And when is the captains party? We will not be in jeans/flip flops but not suits or tuxs- smart casual. Thanks . Julie

Smart Casual is proper for Elite functions and the Captain's Party. The time of Captain's Party varies according to the cruise schedule. You'll receive an invitation in your cabin indicating time and place.

Smart Casual is proper for Elite functions and the Captain's Party. The time of Captain's Party varies according to the cruise schedule. You'll receive an invitation in your cabin indicating time and place.

You almost had me confused for a minute. The Captain's Party is in the Theater before the show on Formal Night. The Captain's Club party is in the afternoon and suits and tuxes are not likely.

Archived