Seriously? It's ILLEGAL???

NotACruiserYet

I was reading up an Barbados somewhere and saw that camoflage and khaki are illegal to wear? Surely this is one of those laws that's "on the books" but not enforced? I'm certain the authorities could tell the difference between a pasty white, overweight American tourist in camo cargo shorts and a person impersonating a military officer??? Do I seriously need to tell my husband to leave these home? :eek: Please advise!

I was reading up an Barbados somewhere and saw that camoflage and khaki are illegal to wear? Surely this is one of those laws that's "on the books" but not enforced? I'm certain the authorities could tell the difference between a pasty white, overweight American tourist in camo cargo shorts and a person impersonating a military officer??? Do I seriously need to tell my husband to leave these home? :eek: Please advise!

Yes leave them at home. It is law. I wouldn't take a chance. I only heard camo though.

Ther is no camo allowed from visitors. We saw someone get turned away when trying to get off the ship because of camo swim trunks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't ask me why but it's true. No camouflage clothes allowed. :confused:

You will be asked to change or be denied entry to attractions and public places.

Sorry, but this rule on the island is enforced. It's not a joke.

Seriously???

Why would you even bring camouflage clothes on a Caribbean vacation?

Are you planning to go to war, or go hunting?

Camouflage as a fashion statement can be interesting. I was at a card shoot (target shoot) some years back and one guy came dressed not only in full camouflage, but face paint. (Remember that paper targets typically do not shoot back). This drew funny looks from dedicated gun lovers, in Appalachia.

In some places wearing camouflage is taken to imply "sudden change of government". In countries prone to sudden changes of government, you can maybe understand why they might be sensitive.

Don't ask me why but it's true. No camouflage clothes allowed. :confused:

You will be asked to change or be denied entry to attractions and public places.

Sorry, but this rule on the island is enforced. It's not a joke.

Yes, its true in Barbados. We saw 2 people at the port, one in shorts that got turned away and one with a hat that was asked to take it off.

We were told by someone (our driver I think) that the Army in Barbados wear camouflage so they don't want tourist being mistaken for them. Yes, I agree they should be able to tell the difference between a tourist and the army but it is an actual law. No reason for your husband to leave them home. He can wear them safely on the ship

Seriously???

Why would you even bring camouflage clothes on a Caribbean vacation?

Are you planning to go to war, or go hunting?

His camo cargo shorts aren't the hunting type... think Old Navy or The Gap. But regardless, we'll just either leave them home or he can wear them strictly on the ship. Glad I found out now vs. when we were trying to debark in a port somewhere! :)

I am so thankful for this board! I would have never thought to check local laws to find out about clothing restrictions. My husband is an outdoorsman through and through and several of his shorts are camo. He just bought swim trunks for our January cruise - yep, they are camo! Guess we better do some more shopping!

I believe it is not just the camo pants / shirts / etc. but also certain slogans on t-shirts. When I was getting off the Jewel of the Seas in Barbados in May, one of the ship's crew was talking to a couple wanting to get off. I did not get everything, but I did hear the crew member say that the passenger really should go change into another shirt to avoid any possible problems. He was not wearing a camo shirt, but I couldn't see what the slogan was. It looks like they don't even let you off the ship with questionable clothes.

Wow first I have ever heard of this after 20 cruises and almost 9 years...now have me wondering if he never wore them off the ship....cause he has camo cargo shorts and have taken them all the time. We've been to Barbados also..gonna show my husband this thread...I was never a fan of them on him anyways!;)

I am so thankful for this board! I would have never thought to check local laws to find out about clothing restrictions. My husband is an outdoorsman through and through and several of his shorts are camo. He just bought swim trunks for our January cruise - yep, they are camo! Guess we better do some more shopping!

We have had port calls in Barbados many times through the years and EVERY time we stop there, it is printed in the daily program to not wear anything camo ashore. They mean it. When in their country, follow their laws/rules.

• 2 weeks later...
In some places wearing camouflage is taken to imply "sudden change of government".

In countries prone to sudden changes of government, you can maybe understand why they might be sensitive.

Right now -in Barbados- we sure could use a "sudden change of Government" ;)

Maybe that's what they're afraid of!

• 1 month later...
His camo cargo shorts aren't the hunting type... think Old Navy or The Gap. But regardless, we'll just either leave them home or he can wear them strictly on the ship. Glad I found out now vs. when we were trying to debark in a port somewhere! :)

If they are really good, how will you find him?

A passenger in front of me was leaving the ship with a camo/military backpack on Barbados. The staff stopped him. He was shocked.

I never did see it posted on this ship(Valor) but have seen it announced on other ships and other islands both on the gangway and in the daily newsletter.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved the children's compulsory school uniforms in Barbados where each Parish primary school has specific colors.

There's the NO DRINKING and driving law. That's zero drinks.

The no camouflage clothing rule has been around for a long time and it makes sense to me.

Just wish they would come up with a no visible tattoos rule!

Folks, it's time to look outside of your happy vacation cruise box..Although the places we travel to are beautiful tropical getaways, the sad fact is, alot of these travel destinations are glamorous around port, but outside the gates tell a far different story..Camo style clothing is generally worn by military or even rebel fighters..A fat, pale skinned, camo wearing tourist looking individual in this day and age, cannot be trusted like anyone else..Bottom line is that camos are worn to blend in with the colors of nature, so your enemy cannot see you..I was also surprised when I first heard of this, but getting off the ship and seeing Machine gun toting military made me realize how lucky we are to not have this at home..It also made me realize not to let my guard down when traveling abroad, even if the beaches are beautiful, and the rum punch flows free...Sad but true...None the less, we are booked again in march, and will leave that style clothing home...