Basic advice required on Indian and Middle Eastern Ports

tring

We are considering a small ship cruise which goes from Sri Lanka to Piraeus.

There are five ports up the coast of India, then four ports in the Middle East, (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Khasab, and Muscat) as well as a stop in Salalah as we head for the Red Sea.

We are just wanting some general advice at this stage as we are thinking of the overall cost including trips. We thinking we may need to book tours in the Middle Eastern ports and are thinking of how expensive that part of the world can be, or could we realistically 'do it ourselves' in that part of the world?

I have also posted a question on the Asia Board re India.

Edited by tring

We are considering a small ship cruise which goes from Sri Lanka to Piraeus.

There are five ports up the coast of India, then four ports in the Middle East, (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Khasab, and Muscat) as well as a stop in Salalah as we head for the Red Sea.

We are just wanting some general advice at this stage as we are thinking of the overall cost including trips. We thinking we may need to book tours in the Middle Eastern ports and are thinking of how expensive that part of the world can be, or could we realistically 'do it ourselves' in that part of the world?

I have also posted a question on the Asia Board re India.

My son and his family are based in Dubai and I have done three cruises already around the Emirates and have another planned for Dec 17th 2016 - so much to see and do still and lots of places we want to re-visit.

If it would give you some tips I have written reviews which can be found at\;

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=273028

(MSC Orchestra)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=235499

(MSC Lirica)

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

(RCI Serenade of the Seas)

In Dubai I would recommend the Burj Khalifa (do book in advance as it is cheaper this way and ensures a slot but if you just turn up on the day you may not get in). The Dancing Fountains are just by the Burj. Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates are worth seeing - the Aquarium and Ski Dubai are awesome. Taxis are very cheap and the drivers will willingly take you on a tour of the local sights. The Metro system is very good too. There is a HOHO bus but the heavy traffic in the city can cause delays on the routes.

The mosque in Abu Dhabi is a MUST SEE and the Emirates Palace is splendid.

For Khasab and Muscat you will see my choices in the reviews.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suzanne

That is really good information Suron, so thank you very much. We have not booked the cruise as yet and are a little concerned about how expensive it would turn out in the long run with port costs or trips.

We would be in Dubai for three days so going out independently will be easier for there. You say taxis can do trips of the main sites locally, but have mentioned excursions in other places, so what sort of average budget do you think will be needed on average per port? Is it much more expensive than other areas of the world - Dubai does seem to have that reputation? I will be travelling with my husband, but as we will be on a small ship we are highly unlikely to be able to get a group together on a roll call.

That is really good information Suron, so thank you very much. We have not booked the cruise as yet and are a little concerned about how expensive it would turn out in the long run with port costs or trips.

We would be in Dubai for three days so going out independently will be easier for there. You say taxis can do trips of the main sites locally, but have mentioned excursions in other places, so what sort of average budget do you think will be needed on average per port? Is it much more expensive than other areas of the world - Dubai does seem to have that reputation? I will be travelling with my husband, but as we will be on a small ship we are highly unlikely to be able to get a group together on a roll call.

Suron gave good advice about booking ahead for Burj Khalifa in Dubai. That is one port you can easily do on your own. This downtown area can fill a lot of your day and night. You might also want to visit the old part of Dubai along the creek as well as Madinat Jumeirah where Burj al Arab is located (iconic sail shaped hotel.) What are your interests......cultural, historical, shopping, foodie, etc and we can give you more specific suggestions. You can also click on my CC name to see other posts I have made with Dubai ideas.

I also agree that the Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is a "must see."

http://www.szgmc.ae/en/

The Louvre Abu Dhabi is scheduled to open before the year end also. You can take a taxi to where you want to go in Abu Dhabi as an alternative to a ship tour.

Muscat is a lot quieter but still a lot to see. I would recommend the Bait al Zubair Museum which you can enjoy in about 90 minutes. If you are staying over night, check to see if anything is going on at the Royal Opera House. It is a world class venue with performances beyond opera.

http://www.baitalzubair.com/?lang=en

https://www.rohmuscat.org.*****/en/Pages/default.aspx

Dhow cruises in the Musandam Peninsula if you stop in Khor Fakkan or Fujairah would be relaxing and include snorkeling opportunities.

I will look for your thread on the Asia forum for India.....

Thank you lilybob, another helpful post.

We went for it and booked the cruise late yesterday. It is not until February 2018, so will do a more thorough search nearer to the time, but will follow your links and bookmark this thread. Our main preferences are mainly to get a 'feel' for different countries, so is more about just experiencing different cultures etc. and seeing any obvious tourist sites - historic things etc.

Three days in Dubai, means we will be able to go out at night - we always think cruises can be a big problem when you have to get back on the ship in the early evening. We often like to go out for an evening meal when we get chance to do so from a cruise, but we will need to watch prices as it is a 31 night cruise and we hope to spend a week in Sri Lanka before we get on the ship.

We met up with my husband's ex deputy today and she reminded me about Dubai and cheap gold - not sure if my husband is still talking to her now!

Thanks again,

Barbara

Edited by tring

We went for it and booked the cruise late yesterday. It is not until February 2018, so will do a more thorough search nearer to the time, but will follow your links and bookmark this thread. Our main preferences are mainly to get a 'feel' for different countries, so is more about just experiencing different cultures etc. and seeing any obvious tourist sites - historic things etc.

Three days in Dubai, means we will be able to go out at night - we always think cruises can be a big problem when you have to get back on the ship in the early evening. We often like to go out for an evening meal when we get chance to do so from a cruise, but we will need to watch prices as it is a 31 night cruise and we hope to spend a week in Sri Lanka before we get on the ship.

Barbara

Hi Barbara. Since your cruise isn't until 2018, maybe I can help some in a review when we return from ours, in Oct, 2016? Ports of Dubai(31/2 days), AbuDabi, Muscat and Khasab also. I plan to do a review upon on our return. If you can give me specific questions, I'll try to make my notes address some of your issues, if you think that will help you plan.

You should like Sri Lanka, also. It is an interesting place! Connie

Hi Barbara. Since your cruise isn't until 2018, maybe I can help some in a review when we return from ours, in Oct, 2016? Ports of Dubai(31/2 days), AbuDabi, Muscat and Khasab also. I plan to do a review upon on our return. If you can give me specific questions, I'll try to make my notes address some of your issues, if you think that will help you plan.

You should like Sri Lanka, also. It is an interesting place! Connie

Thank you - will look out for your review. No specific questions.

We end a cruise in Colombo early next march and have booked a 9 night independent land tour to Kandy and Habarana with the last 3 nights in Negombo. We also hope to go out up to a week earlier in 2018 and are probably looking at staying in The Mount Lavinia Hotel for some time prior to the cruise, with a rest night in Negombo and possibly heading for hill country for a couple of nights before that.

Edited by tring

Thank you - will look out for your review. No specific questions.

We end a cruise in Colombo early next march and have booked a 9 night independent land tour to Kandy and Habarana with the last 3 nights in Negombo. We also hope to go out up to a week earlier in 2018 and are probably looking at staying in The Mount Lavinia Hotel for some time prior to the cruise, with a rest night in Negombo and possibly heading for hill country for a couple of nights before that.

You have an exciting and full itinerary! I'm sure you will have an ideal and awesome time! It sounds like you do quite an intense research prior to travel, which always increases the value of your experience. Look forward to any review you may write after your trips(or blog while you travel?)

I'll try to write a review that touches on the most memorable points of our trip(and any major things that may be something to be aware of-both negative and positive)

I don't blog, but I do do cruise reviews when I return - often 2-3 weeks or more before I get round to it though. I usually do hotel reviews on TA as well, where I also use the name 'tring'.

The ship we will be on in February 2017 and Feb 2018 is a small one called 'Voyager', and which is run by Voyages of Discovery. It does not get many reviews, so I will make sure I do one.

Which ship are you on in Oct?

In some respects I do too much research as I spend far too long in front of the computer. It is a while until the 2018 jaunt, but we have been looking into a pre cruise stay and will probably go out about 6 days early and spend an overnight near the airport and the next 5 nights in The Mount Lavinia Hotel.

Sri Lankan Hill Country is too far, too expensive and probably too cold at that time of year.

Thank you lilybob, another helpful post.

We met up with my husband's ex deputy today and she reminded me about Dubai and cheap gold - not sure if my husband is still talking to her now!

Thanks again,

Barbara

I wanted to purchase a special piece of jewellery which had been promised to me by my husband for our 45th anniversary but he sadly died just months before the special day. However, when visiting my son who is based in Dubai he took me to the Gold Souk and we went to a lovely shop called Safari Gems and I bought the sapphire pendant and gold chain and the matching ring. When I got the items home I took them to a local jewellers and the items were valued at nearly three times what I had paid for them (admittedly my son did do a bit of haggling but they expect that in Dubai!)

I was delighted, so get your husband to take you to the Gold Souk and just tell him he will be saving money in the long run! Good Luck!

Suzanne

I wanted to purchase a special piece of jewellery which had been promised to me by my husband for our 45th anniversary but he sadly died just months before the special day. However, when visiting my son who is based in Dubai he took me to the Gold Souk and we went to a lovely shop called Safari Gems and I bought the sapphire pendant and gold chain and the matching ring. When I got the items home I took them to a local jewellers and the items were valued at nearly three times what I had paid for them (admittedly my son did do a bit of haggling but they expect that in Dubai!)

I was delighted, so get your husband to take you to the Gold Souk and just tell him he will be saving money in the long run! Good Luck!

Suzanne

Now that sounds a good way to spend time in a port - may just need your son though to make sure I get the best price...............

Cheers,

Barbara

Now that sounds a good way to spend time in a port - may just need your son though to make sure I get the best price...............

Cheers,

Barbara

Don't worry about haggling as it is all part of the experience in the souk and the shop keepers will not be offended. We went to Safari Gems, had a look and then went elsewhere to make comparisons. When we returned to Safari Gems they were more than happy to strike a deal which paid off handsomely.

Have fun and enjoy the UAE

Suzanne

Another jewelry shopping option is the Gold and Diamond Park if you don't have a chance to visit the traditional souks in the creek area. This is also a good opportunity to have a piece designed as you wish as that is where the real savings are to be found when the price of gold is high. They are open Sat-Thur 10-10 and Friday 4pm-10pm and can be reached by Metro as they are right at the First Gulf Bank station on the Red Line.

http://www.goldanddiamondpark.com/en/Shop/default.aspx