Free WiFi in Ports

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

44 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Does anyone know where to find free WiFi in the ports? I'm bringing an iPad and hoping to avoid having to pay RC's onboard internet fees. We're sailing on the Oasis in June to the Western Caribbean. Thanks.
Central Texas
6,636 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
I normally ask a crew member where the closest free wifi or low cost wifi can be found. I also ask them where I can find a great place to eat at.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
God Bless our troops,
Colleen
Up North and Down South, UK
17,024 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Back in the day when I had an iPad there was an app that listed all the free wifi spots..... you just pop in the location (before you leave obviously). Check out the app store.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda

September 2nd 2017 : 'Rock the Boat' Cruise : CMV Magellan : Roll Call here

Bit of a blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017 here

Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016 here

Blogs in profile from Rhapsody (includes India), Legend (Baltics), Oasis (Mediterranean), Freedom (Caribbean) and others.
Lincolnshire, GB
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
There is an app available called "WI FI FINDER" works world wide and off line too. I have it
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Silja Line Symphony, 2003, From Stockholm.
Tallink Fantaasia, 2004, From Stockholm.
Carnival Valor, August 2008, From Miami.
RCCL Serenade Of The Seas, March 2010, From San Juan.
RCCL Serenade Of The Seas, December 2010, From San Juan.
RCCL Enchantment Of The Seas, April 2011, From Baltimore.
RCCL Splendour Of The Seas, July 2012, From Venice Italy.
RCCL Adventure Of The Seas, December 2012, From San Juan.
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, July 2014, From Harwich, England.
Wavre, Belgium
3,195 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
IF you're going to Cozumel and if you will be docked where we were on the Freedom, you are very close to Senor Frog. If you walk a little closer you might be able to go online. In St Thomas I sat on deck 4 port side in front of Senor Frog and I was able to go online there. So it might work for Cozumel too, I haven't tried it there.

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PAST CRUISES:
RCL - 9/11/09: Ultimate Alaska 14 Nights ~ RADIANCE OF THE SEAS - RCL - 9/05/10: Mexican Riviera 7 nights ~ MARINER OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/12/10: Mexican Riviera 7 nights ~ MARINER OF THE SEAS - First B2B ever - RCL - 9/11/11: Eastern Caribbean 7 nights ~ FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/18/11: Western Caribbean 7 nights ~ FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/02/12: Norwegian Fjords 5 nights ~ VISION OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/07/12: Norwegian Fjords 7 nights ~ VISION OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/10/16: Southern Caribbean 7 nights ~ ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS - B2B - RCL - 9/17/16: Southern Caribbean 7 nights ~ ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS (ABC Islands) - B2B - RCL - 4/23/14: Portugal and Spain Transatlantic 14 nights (Cruise of a lifetime!) ~ FREEDOM OF THE SEAS
Favorite Port of Call: All the swimming pools in Vegas

Cindy - [email protected]
West Webster, NY
4,798 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
There are shopping areas when you get off the ship in most ports. Several stores post signs advertising free WiFi. If you don't see any signs, look for the 25 or so people sitting on the ground using their laptops. That's usually an indication of a hot spot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ken

Florida
1,367 Posts
Joined May 2007
I love that advice, look for 25 people sitting on the ground using laptops But it is so true. I know in Nassau you can see folks sitting on the curb outside the building. In many ports an internet cafe is very close to the pier, follow the folks carrying laptops. When I was in Mexico I went in to one at the pier, something like $5 for an hour, but the yahoo screen was in spanish, didn't think to ask the clerk how to change it, so I just tried to remember where the buttons usually were, pretty funny.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fran - Florida

Carnival - 3 cruises
Holland - 1 cruise
Royal Caribbean - 25 cruises

future cruises:
RCI Anthem of the Seas Sept 23, 2017 (5 night Bermuda)
RCI Serenade of the Seas Oct 20,2017 (12 night Boston to Ft Lauderdale)
RCI Oasis of the Seas Nov 19, 2017 (7 night Eastern Caribbean)