current fighting in Middle East

oldfella73

Hi our P&O cruise next February is due to call at Ashdod on the 18th February and Haifa on th 19th.

I appreciate it is a bit early to assume these ports will become inadvisable berths but just wondered if any experienced cruisers would care to suggest which potential alternative ports of call could be replacements.

Interested to hear your ideas

Peter

We are scheduled to cruise next May from Luxor to Rome. We have a package that includes a 3 day stay in Cairo and stops in Jordan, Sharm El Sheikh, Overnight in Haifa Israel, stops in Tel Aviv and Cyprus. all the other ports I think will be fine but not sure if I should take my chances or cancel prior to final payment in Feb. We chose this Regent cruise because of the ports. If we cannot go to Egypt and Israel that is at least 5 ports that could be a problem. I need advice from those of you who might have encountered this.

Kandy

We are scheduled to cruise next May from Luxor to Rome. We have a package that includes a 3 day stay in Cairo and stops in Jordan, Sharm El Sheikh, Overnight in Haifa Israel, stops in Tel Aviv and Cyprus. all the other ports I think will be fine but not sure if I should take my chances or cancel prior to final payment in Feb. We chose this Regent cruise because of the ports. If we cannot go to Egypt and Israel that is at least 5 ports that could be a problem. I need advice from those of you who might have encountered this.

Kandy

We are due to go on P&O Aurora on 23rd,Nov 12 Alexandria (Cairo) was already cancelled when we booked, Ashod ( Israel) was cancelled recently. Haifa decision is still " being closely monitored " according to P & O with only 4 days before we sail. Cancellation of Haifa which surely must be the only decision will leave a six day gap in the cruise. Even at this late stage we have not been given an option to cancel or informed of any change of destinations. So you will have to decide what to do yourself. We are also due to call at Vigo, Lisbon and Athens ports which have had problems / cancellations because of strikes and violence because of the Euro austerity measures. I suppose it depends on your cruise line how quickly they decide to alter the ports of call. Hope you have a good holiday wherever you go.

I am wondering if in fact that will happen. I sure hope so and hope that things settle down by Jan 2 when we have to make the final payment on our cruise. If not I feel that we will cancel and reschedule for another time. I certainly don't want to go and miss all the places I booked this cruise for in the first place.

kandy

Cruise on Aurora sailing from Southampton tomorrow 23rd Nov. Due back 16th.Dec. No information of changes at this moment but I cant see us going to Haifa in Israel cease fire or no cease fire. Will post review when we return. Still plenty of time for things to change for you. Hopefully you will get to go to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I have been told by friends they had a wonderful time there when they visited earlier in the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Were just returned from a cruise on the Holy Land Adventure on Queen Elizabeth that departed Athens Saturday (11/17) - were told upon embarkation that we would NOT make the 2 days scheduled stops (11/21-22) in Haifa. Ship schedule was re-arranged - ended up in Rhodes (11/20) and Antalya (11/21) instead. Then we headed South on Friday (11/23) headed towards Egypt, and were turned around the morning we were to dock (11/24) 15 miles short of Alexandria - missed that port too... stopped in Malta instead (evening 11/26 and day 11/27). The next day a storm BLEW in and we missed the port stop in Naples (11/28) due to the weather - and it was questionable whether we would dock on schedule in Rome on the 29th.. but the captain managed to maneuver that behemoth into the dock and we concluded our Odyssey . . .

Archived