Help us choose our honeymoon!

beamqueen

Hello!!

So unfortunately our dream Alaskan cruise is not going to happen after our wedding due to my fiance's new job as a pilot :( SO while I am super bummed about that we both managed to secure some time off work the week of Oct 12th-19th, 2014 and we are going on a cruise! I have wanted to go FOREVER and hope nothing will get in the way this time...

So we are looking for a 5-7 day cruise and I came up with a list of possibilities...wondering for any input? We are new to cruising so any information is helpful!

1. Oct 12th- Valor

St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, Nevis, St.Maarten

2. Oct 12th- Conquest

Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

3. Oct 12th- Dream

Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

4. Oct 12th- Magic

Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

5. Oct 12th- Sunshine

Key West, Nassau, Freeport

6. Oct 13th- Freedom

Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk

Any input is welcome--- similar pricing except for Magic which was a bit pricier and Sunshine seemed a bit expensive for the 5 day!

Hello!!

So unfortunately our dream Alaskan cruise is not going to happen after our wedding due to my fiance's new job as a pilot :( SO while I am super bummed about that we both managed to secure some time off work the week of Oct 12th-19th, 2014 and we are going on a cruise! I have wanted to go FOREVER and hope nothing will get in the way this time...

So we are looking for a 5-7 day cruise and I came up with a list of possibilities...wondering for any input? We are new to cruising so any information is helpful!

1. Oct 12th- Valor

St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, Nevis, St.Maarten

2. Oct 12th- Conquest

Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

3. Oct 12th- Dream

Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

4. Oct 12th- Magic

Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau

5. Oct 12th- Sunshine

Key West, Nassau, Freeport

6. Oct 13th- Freedom

Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk

Any input is welcome--- similar pricing except for Magic which was a bit pricier and Sunshine seemed a bit expensive for the 5 day!

I think you have the Dream / Magic flip flopped. The Magic does the MoBay/GC/Coz trip out of Galveston. As far as I know the Magic does not go to the ports you have listed.

Looks like I messed something up there-- not sure what I was looking at

Looks like Magic ports are-Roatan, Belize City and Cozumel

That sailing is more expensive than the other two that the Magic does. Most people love those parts and as such that sailing is in high demand. Have you compared air fare to the different ports? That could have a huge impact on final pricing.

That sailing is more expensive than the other two that the Magic does. Most people love those parts and as such that sailing is in high demand. Have you compared air fare to the different ports? That could have a huge impact on final pricing.

Haven't looked a ton at airfare but we are in a family full of pilots and can usually snag some good deals for confirmed seats! So I am not too concerned about pricing for that!

We had also previously budgeted for an Alaskan cruise which was much more expensive so price isn't the biggest factor for us, just trying to find a good, fun cruise for our honeymoon!

I'm assuming Valor is going out of San Juan? I think those ports plus a few days pre- or post-cruise would be a lovely honeymoon. St. Lucia is so beautiful. Try to do a sailboat or catamaran excursion in St. Thomas. Many only take 6 people so you may be able to snag one for just the two of you. Congrats on your wedding and welcome to the family of cruisers.

1. Oct 12th- Valor

St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, Nevis, St. Maarten

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

This would be my pick because the itinerary is great ... and so much better than your other choices.

Have a wonderful honeymoon cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Hands down I would choose the Valor although I'm not sure what Nevis is. The ports are St Thomas, St Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Barbados. I am doing this for the second time in January. You get the added bonus of leaving from San Juan, which I adore, so go at least a day early or stay a post cruise.

So unfortunately our dream Alaskan cruise is not going to happen after our wedding due to my fiance's new job as a pilot :(

As a fellow Airline Pilot, I have two words for your fiancé:

SICK CALL

:D

Seriously, I had a similar situation when I got hired at my airline. I had a cruise already planned for later that year. I talked to the Chief Pilot as soon as I completed training and asked if I could take the week to go on that vacation that I had planned before I got hired. The Chief Pilot graciously agreed to give me the time off (although unpaid), but we were able to go on our cruise. :D

And don't forget to request your interline rate when you make your reservation. Assuming your fiancé works for a scheduled passenger airline, you're elegible for a discount.

Edited by Tapi

As a fellow Airline Pilot, I have two words for your fiancé:

SICK CALL

:D

Seriously, I had a similar situation when I got hired at my airline. I had a cruise already planned for later that year. I talked to the Chief Pilot as soon as I completed training and asked if I could take the week to go on that vacation that I had planned before I got hired. The Chief Pilot graciously agreed to give me the time off (although unpaid), but we were able to go on our cruise. :D

And don't forget to request your interline rate when you make your reservation. Assuming your fiancé works for a scheduled passenger airline, you're elegible for a discount.

Thanks for the advice! My fiance got it worked out so he could get our wedding off (We are getting married out of state) but they wouldn't give him additional time for the honeymoon! However they did allow for him to take this week off in October, so we will still get our vacation just a bit later than originally planned.

We will definitely look into what discounts he applies for :) Appreciate the help!

Of the choices you have given, I would also go with #1. And agree with all the posts about skipping Nassau and Freeport.

However, if you could sail on Oct. 11, I would go with the Glory out of Miami.

Cozumel, Mexico; Belize; Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Costa Maya, Mexico

Fabulous snorkeling out of Cozumel and Roatan, ziplining in Belize and a fabulous sandy shallow beach for relaxing and having a beer in the shallow surf on in one of the swing chairs at the bar in Costa Maya (or even just staying at the port with the swim up bar and restaurant).

Haven't looked a ton at airfare but we are in a family full of pilots and can usually snag some good deals for confirmed seats! So I am not too concerned about pricing for that!

We had also previously budgeted for an Alaskan cruise which was much more expensive so price isn't the biggest factor for us, just trying to find a good, fun cruise for our honeymoon!

Just a thought for you - Carnival is great for many things. Romance isn't exactly one of them. I fyou are looking for a romantic honeymoon there are other cruise lines that do it way better, especially if you have some flexibility in your purchase limits.

Just a thought for you - Carnival is great for many things. Romance isn't exactly one of them. I fyou are looking for a romantic honeymoon there are other cruise lines that do it way better, especially if you have some flexibility in your purchase limits.

My son and daughter-in-law paid extra money to go to the Steakhouse on more than one evening to have a more intimate dinner on their honeymoon cruise. Loved it! They also got a suite, had wine on the balcony. He got her flowers from the shop onboard and he bought her jewelry at one of the ports as a special memory of their trip. They very much enjoyed their honeymoon cruise. And as far as non-romance, honeymooners can always try to get picked for the love and marriage show.

My son and daughter-in-law paid extra money to go to the Steakhouse on more than one evening to have a more intimate dinner on their honeymoon cruise. Loved it! They also got a suite, had wine on the balcony. He got her flowers from the shop onboard and he bought her jewelry at one of the ports as a special memory of their trip. They very much enjoyed their honeymoon cruise. And as far as non-romance, honeymooners can always try to get picked for the love and marriage show.

I didn't say you couldn't have romance. I just said that Carnival wasn't the best for it. They are the 'Fun Ships' not the Elegance / Romance / Intimacy Ships.

Well we had already previously booked the Miracle for our Alaskan cruise so we are just switching over to another carnival cruise, my TA said it was a $50 pp change fee. I think Carnival is a good fit for us and will work out just fine!