Recent cruisers on the Jewel in the med. - please help

wieslaw

Hi,

I/we will be on a cruise on Jewel doing the west med and need to plan my air from FCO (Rome) ...... it would be helpful if I knew what were the times ( on the average) that guests were able to leave ( self debark) the ship in Civi .

Also is there a customs or passport control in the cruise terminal that slows down the process ...... and if 'yes' how much time it takes.

Someone suggested that 4 hours should be added to the time of debarkation of the guest from the ship, to plan the earliest flight time to US /Canada. ( one hour for transport from the port and 3 hours for the process at the FCO airport)

Any recent med. cruisers on the Jewel - can you help ? How was your experience ? What time were your flights ? What do you suggest ?

Thank you

Edited by wieslaw

Hi,

I/we will be on a cruise on Jewel doing the west med and need to plan my air from FCO (Rome) ...... it would be helpful if I knew what were the times ( on the average) that guests were able to leave ( self debark) the ship in Civi .

Also is there a customs or passport control in the cruise terminal that slows down the process ...... and if 'yes' how much time it takes.

Someone suggested that 4 hours should be added to the time of debarkation of the guest from the ship, to plan the earliest flight time to US /Canada. ( one hour for transport from the port and 3 hours for the process at the FCO airport)

Any recent med. cruisers on the Jewel - can you help ? How was your experience ? What time were your flights ? What do you suggest ?

Thank you

We were on Jewel ending in Civitavecchia in may. We did self-debark and were off the ship at 6:45am. Once you ding out you just keep going. No Customs/Immigration. We had a private transfer to FCO airport and met our driver at 7am. Had an 11:15 am flight and we were at the airport before 8am.

We were on the Jewel in July, and debarkation was super easy. Had low baggage numbers, and left the boat at 7:45 to be picked up by private driver at 8 am. We were at the airport within the hour for an 11:55 flight- plenty of time. Airline checkin was a bit of a wait even in priority line, as was passport control. Still spent close to 2 hours in the (ratty) lounge before boarding. BTW, boarding was interesting- seems everyone there pushes and shoves to get on the plane first, not really paying attention to the priority or zone boarding announcements.

It was an overall great trip- enjoy! Loved Turkey and Ephesus the most. Would love to go back again.

We were on the Jewel in July, and debarkation was super easy.

It was an overall great trip- enjoy! Loved Turkey and Ephesus the most. Would love to go back again.

I also loved Ephesus. Was your cruise not affected by recent events in Turkey?

Italian was not the main language on July 24-31 cruise. Simona was the cruise director and she is Italian, I believe, but still everything was in English first followed by Italian and sometimes also Spanish. Most passengers were Italian, but there were multiple other nationalities. Sadly only 4 Finns.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it true Jewel is using Italian as the main language?

A Facebook report claimed so.

Been on several RCCL cruises out of Spain, Italy and Denmark. English has always been the main language.

Review if my last Greece Ann Turkey cruise out of Venice http://venicecruise2015.blogspot.com

Video review from the cruise:

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our June cruise, our flight departed 11:15 am from FCO. Made it with time to spare.

Beware, if you take the cruise line shuttle bus you might get bumped to a later bus than the one you requested. We took Rome Cabs. Great service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you, thank you to every one that responded.

Looking at most of the responses I am tempted to book a direct flight at 11:20AM ..... but for sure I do not want to be late getting there (FCO) or be waiting in the passport or security check line ...... when the plane is ready to leave.

(We experienced 'that' at LHR 3 months ago ...... it was not 'fun' )

Thanks again,

Wes

When doing on-line check in last week, I mistakenly put am instead of pm on flight details and a little pop up message said (if my memory is correct), "advice, flight should be after 10.45am. Suggest, if you are within time frame, try filling out the online check in with your flight time and see what is says. p.s. we travel on Jewel this Sunday!!!! Very much looking forward to the adventure.

The link below is from the RCI website. You put in your ship/sail date and embarkation/debarkation ports and it will tell you the earliest flight you should book.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724

Sue -Thank you.

All the years that I 'spent' on this board, I should know that RCI's website .... but I did not ...... so thank you for providing it.

On the other hand as we all know ..... RCI's information provided on their websites is 'always right'??? ...... that is why we ask each other to make sure.

Any how their website shows the departure time for my air (for my cruise) as ; "Earliest Departure Time: 10:45 AM".

Sue -Thank you.

All the years that I 'spent' on this board, I should know that RCI's website .... but I did not ...... so thank you for providing it.

On the other hand as we all know ..... RCI's information provided on their websites is 'always right'??? ...... that is why we ask each other to make sure.

Any how their website shows the departure time for my air (for my cruise) as ; "Earliest Departure Time: 10:45 AM".

I'd think that would be pushing it and am surprised they suggest it but, like you said, the info on the website isn't always right.

We didn't feel pressured for time at all with our 11:15 am departure. Hope you get the flight that works best for you. :)