Itinerary/Port suggestions for 2 year old

juniperia

Hi all,

We are going on our first cruise with our toddler (2 years, 9 month old). We are looking for a cruise suggestion where the ports have nice beaches close by or fun things to do for a kid that age (a warm destination). I don't even know how people travel from the port having to worry about car seats, etc. Thanks!

We do things in port that can be accessed by walking, boat, or bus so we don't have to take car seat off the ship (we do take it on the ship if we fly to port, but won't be next time when we drive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

We are going on our first cruise with our toddler (2 years, 9 month old). We are looking for a cruise suggestion where the ports have nice beaches close by or fun things to do for a kid that age (a warm destination). I don't even know how people travel from the port having to worry about car seats, etc. Thanks!

As for a car seat, I just didn't bring them. You will need to read on the ports of call boards for more specific ideas for many of these. Opt for ship excursions that put you on buses if you are worried about car rides.

Our kids have been to the following ports and loved everyone of them:

St. Thomas (tons to do) we did a privately booked open air island tour with beach stop.

Key West: but it's going to be more of a stroll around, ride the tram, stop at the butterfly museum kinda thing.

Costa Maya: beach/pool right at the port or more private areas a short ride away

Cozumel: tons to do, but you will need a cab. My kids love Chankannab and any of the beaches

Roatan (their favorite port) - Tabayana makes a great beach day and Gumbalimba park is fun too

Grand Cayman - easy to get boat tours to sting rays or simply a bus ride to 7 mile beach

Belize - some place like Goff's Caye works well or an excursion to the zoo

Aruba - kids were older so we took an island tour in off road jeep (this one might worry you with little ones but there are plenty of beaches)

Curacao - easy to do an island tour and there is a beach not far from the pier

Private islands - always great and easy for kids

Grand Turk - beach right at pier

My kids have not been to San Juan (but you can do a walking tour of old town and the fort - lots of room to run). St. Marteen is not my favorite and due to weather we have never stopped there, but again, tons of beaches. I would also wait until the kids are older to do Jamaica. Kids have never been to Bermuda but the ship docks in town and there is tons to do and see.

I would stay away from the Bahamas - it's just not that nice. But even there, in Nassau we have gone to the zoo, done tours around the island, you can spend a ton of money and go to Atlantis, and we have booked shore excursions for beach breaks. In Freeport, there is nothing to do AT the port and it is a cab ride over to the beach area.

Try to sail one of the cruise lines that has a private island in the Caribbean. That is always nice with the beach.

Keith

This is a great point. We've sailed three times with our DD (8 months, 1.5yrs and 2.5yrs) and done both Eastern and Western Caribbean. Both itineraries are great and offer what you're looking for (beaches).

That said I would 100% pick an itinerary that hits one of the lines private islands. We've been to Labadee (RCL/Celebrity) which is a fantastic day and Castaway Cay (Disney) another fantastic day. Weather permitting these are guaranteed great beach days.

Another thing you want to keep in mind is the ship and what it offers to your family to make your trip more enjoyable. If you cruise has a number of sea days you may want to make sure the ship offers a pool or space where your little one (if not potty trained) can play and splash around in water. Most lines do not offer this type of space. To my knowledge its really only Royal and Disney (but only certain ships on those lines).

Enjoy

When my daughter was 2 and under, we did Cozumel (beach club), Grand Cayman (full access turtle farm), and Disney's private island. All were great ports of call and she had fun too. Almost forgot we also did Nassau, we went to Atlantis and did the Aquarium. Good but expensive. Both cruises were with Disney, since they were one of few that had a drop off nursery at the time. Royal has since added a nursery to more ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I loved the western Caribbean itinerary on the Freedom with our then 2 yr old. Labadee was perfect with no need for cab. We did red strip beach in Jamaica which was a ride on a large charter bus. Cozumel we did a day pass at a hotel in walking distance. It was great and had no worries.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all your suggestions! We decided on a 7 day cruise on the Getaway this April. Our cruise stops at Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel. We were hoping for Harvest Caye instead of Belize City, but it's not ready yet. The good thing is the other stops will most likely be beach days :)

Thanks again for all your help!