ID for CTN

coach jim

Well, now I am a bit confused. Our travel agent told us a driver's license AND birth certificate were needed for a CTN. I just got off the phone with NCL and they told me just a picture license is needed. Can anyone who has been on a fairly recent CTN confirm what is needed? We are saling on the Breakaway 1/17/14 and our friends do not have an up to date passport.

Thanks,

Jim

If something happens and they need to be medically evacuated or just miss the ship, they will have a big hassle in flying home without a passport.

A CTN is going nowhere. It's not leaving American waters. The 2 day CTN's leaving from NY anchor off the coast of Cape May NJ. Last I checked you don't need a passport to cross the bridge back into NY.

I know that if you are not US born you absolutely need a passport. My mother and her friend have been citizens for 50 years and both needed their passports yesterday on the GEM. My wife and I did not.

Edited by vandals04

When you register for the cruise I believe it asks for your country of citizenship.

But that has nothing to do with where you were born. You can be a US citizen by birth or a naturalized citizen born as a citizen of another country.

Sounds like there's something wrong with what that poster said. Requiring a passport for a CTN because a person was a US citizen but born elsewhere makes no sense and is not something the cruise line would know and it sure as heck isn't something discoverable by looking at your drivers license, as the poster to who you were replying said.

Edited by njhorseman

But that has nothing to do with where you were born. You can be a US citizen by birth or a naturalized citizen born as a citizen of another country.

Sounds like there's something wrong with what that poster said.

Yes, the correct term is US citizen, not US born.

Sounds like there's something wrong with what that poster said. Requiring a passport for a CTN because a person was a US citizen but born elsewhere makes no sense and is not something the cruise line would know and it sure as heck isn't something discoverable by looking at your drivers license, as the poster to who you were replying said.

They 100% ask both country of birth and citizenship take a look at the first page of online check-in.

This is a confusing policy that only affects foreign born citizens on a CTN where not everybody brings their passports.

Docs.jpg.c85c2dfd794d8857c8874a4852b71a6f.jpg

They 100% ask both country of birth and citizenship take a look at the first page of online check-in.

This is a confusing policy that only affects foreign born citizens on a CTN where not everybody brings their passports.

OK...I appreciate the explanation. I'm not convinced that NCL is correct though. I'm not aware of any CBP rule that would require a passport under those circumstances, in fact their rules consider a CTN as having never left the US and certainly no one needs a passport if they're not leaving the US, but if NCL is asking for it then you have to comply. In fact, they don't even need passports for a typical closed loop cruise. Under the law a Naturalization Certificate plus photo ID suffices for those.

Cruise lines sometimes ask for more documentation than the law actually requires (some actually require a passport for a closed loop cruise where a birth certificate and ID would suffice), although that is not typical of NCL.

Edited by njhorseman

I've been on 2 CTN. both times I used my drivers license only. I left my passport at home. Maybe the person who had to show their passport at check in put in their passport info when they did their online check in for their edocs. When I did my online check in for both my CTN I put I was using my drivers license as ID.