Emerald Beach

gvgseg

I'll be on the NCL Escape docked in St. Thomas next Tuesday, 1/24. I am planning on booking one of those 4 hour sightseeing/beach tours. I am being told by the operator for the particular company and time slot I plan to book that there is already another group reserved that has requested Emerald Beach.

My group consists of 5 adults (3 in 30's, 2 about 60) plus a 4 year old and a 2 year old. We're not the type to just lie on the beach or be out in the water for long periods. We'll probably just be walking around the beach, taking pictures, looking at pretty views, etc. Maybe the kids will play in the sand and put their feet in the water for a little bit. Nevertheless, I wasn't interested in the shopping tours so I figured the beach would be the better choice.

Reviews of Emerald Beach/Lindbergh Bay seem to be pretty decent. Is there any reason for me to not want Emerald and try to look for a different tour guide? The only concern I had was the beach's proximity to the airport. The only other beach I was thinking about was Magen's Bay, but I'm worried that the crowds will be overwhelming.

Looks like you are docked in Havensight along with the CCL Glory, and RCCL Harmony is docked in Crown Bay with ~6,800 passengers. Lindbergh Bay is a fine beach, but I'm afraid it will be busy since it's so close to Crown Bay. Havensight is also to the east of Charlotte Amalie so it's a longer taxi to Lindbergh. I would not recommend Magens or Coki just because they will be busier.

For what you are interested in I would suggest Sapphire Beach on the East End - a gorgeous beach with nicer water and island views. The taxi will be about $6 more pp each way but worth it IMHO. Sapphire is generally quite calm and there is a sandy swimming section where most visitors congregate. But a short walk takes you to a nice section with natural shade and a quieter spot where you can put your lounges. There are runners taking food and drink orders on the beach, and you'll have lounge rentals for $9 each and restrooms.

There have been high surf and rip current advisories throughout the USVI and the BVI for the past couple weeks and it sounds like it will be clearing by the time you are there. But if you want a nice beach that is more protected look at Secret Harbor.

This link has a map showing the beach and port locations -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

This is a webcam and drone video at Sapphire -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

For walking around and taking pictures Emerald is a good choice because you can walk either along the beach or on the road going north toward the airport, and you'll see a little playground. If you choose the beach route you may have to climb over a few rocks.

If you keep going past the playground on the road and make a left, and walk up the road, you'll get to a fabulous lookout where you can see a cave in the water. Absolutely gorgeous view! I think there's a bench so you can sit and enjoy the view.

For what you are interested in I would suggest Sapphire Beach on the East End - a gorgeous beach with nicer water and island views. The taxi will be about $6 more pp each way but worth it IMHO. Sapphire is generally quite calm and there is a sandy swimming section where most visitors congregate. But a short walk takes you to a nice section with natural shade and a quieter spot where you can put your lounges. There are runners taking food and drink orders on the beach, and you'll have lounge rentals for $9 each and restrooms.

There have been high surf and rip current advisories throughout the USVI and the BVI for the past couple weeks and it sounds like it will be clearing by the time you are there. But if you want a nice beach that is more protected look at Secret Harbor.

This link has a map showing the beach and port locations -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

This is a webcam and drone video at Sapphire -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Bluewater... Still deciding on a beach. What can you tell me of secret harbor? Someone in our party would like to go there. I'm just a tad worried that it looks small from videos. I just want a nice sunny spot to relax without tons of people.

We are in tues feb 7th, 3 large ships in port TY!!!!

Secret Harbor is a small bay, but they key to avoiding crowds at any of the beaches is to get off as soon as the boat docks and catch a cab to the beach you've decided on. It should be very quiet for a few hours, but when people do start coming you will be set up in the best area because you got there early.

Sapphire is a bigger beach than Secret Harbor so it should be less crowded no matter time of day.

Yes what MS411 said, it is a smaller Bay and is home to the Secret Harbour condo property as well as others and can feel crowded. Good restaurant and decent snorkeling, if you want to be assured of a very calm bay SH is a good choice.

In terms of beautiful beaches SH is our 4th favorite beach after Sapphire, Lindqvist, and Coki. My understanding is day visitors are relegated to one section of the beach at SH and you want to get there early to get lounges and umbrellas.