Have you hired a driver for the day?

slhopper

I have not found any excursions that we are particularly interested in/want to pay that much for. I want to go take pictures at the big colorful Belize sign, and have been told it is a short cab ride away. What I was wondering is if any of you have ever just hired a driver for the day or for x number of hours? I was thinking that a local would be able to show us *his* city better than a tour group could. I would like to look around the city some, have lunch with our guide, etc. Just wondering if this was doable and if so, how I go about it. Do I just talk to the cab drivers outside the port or what? We would obviously pay for his time, lunch and tip well. Thanks :)

I have not found any excursions that we are particularly interested in/want to pay that much for. I want to go take pictures at the big colorful Belize sign, and have been told it is a short cab ride away. What I was wondering is if any of you have ever just hired a driver for the day or for x number of hours? I was thinking that a local would be able to show us *his* city better than a tour group could. I would like to look around the city some, have lunch with our guide, etc. Just wondering if this was doable and if so, how I go about it. Do I just talk to the cab drivers outside the port or what? We would obviously pay for his time, lunch and tip well. Thanks :)

Same thing I am looking for. went on trip adviser... lots of names of tour companies, but want to talk to someone on here, someone that has just been there, or that "knows the landscape". going down in Jan. so I have time... but just want to go to Altun Ha, and then find a nice relaxing place (preferably a beach area) to finish my stay..Help us cruiser friends!:D

I hire private drivers in the city all the time. They charge between $20-25 USD per hour. All have good automobiles with A/C. Most do not have much to do with the cruise passengers because.....well I am sure you know the answer to that.

Obviously, you can hire a taxi outside the TA for much less money than that, but not the same level of service or automobile.

If the price is not out of your budget, then I can try and make some connections for you.

For the guest that wants to go to Altan Ha and then a beach, we do not have those types of beach on the mainland and so this combination does not work well here.

Janice

I hire private drivers in the city all the time. They charge between $20-25 USD per hour. All have good automobiles with A/C. Most do not have much to do with the cruise passengers because.....well I am sure you know the answer to that.

Janice

Ummmm, actually, I don't know the answer! Sorry, this will be our first cruise and I don't want to do anything wrong/offend anyone. So please, can you explain what you mean by this? Thank you :)

Slhopper,

You answered your own question. I know this is profiling, but as an American who has traveled for 45 years to 50+ countries, I feel qualified to comment on the mentality of many ugly Americans and especially cruisers who do not know why Belize has to be on their itinerary. Many times when Belize is disrespected on the cruise boards I want to jump in and defend it, but then i remember that we Belizeans do not necessarily want some cruisers coming to The Jewel, so let the PSA stand and encourage those to just stay on the ship.

Come to Belize, leave the city and you will love our people, our food, and the diversity of our country.

Janice

There's a guide, a couple, Nacho and Cynthia, at ncqadventuretours.com While they can do the normal tour packages to ruins, zip lining, cave tubing, help with snorkeling, etc. Nacho is a talker and loves to share his views about his native country. Cynthia usually drives. If you contact him, he'll get back to you right away, maybe even before your server finishes sending your email:D.

When is your cruise? If Harvest Caye is completed on time in mid-February, that will mean that the Belize port stop will be there and not at Belize City marina.

That will make a huge difference in planning tours for after mid-February.

When is your cruise? If Harvest Caye is completed on time in mid-February, that will mean that the Belize port stop will be there and not at Belize City marina.

That will make a huge difference in planning tours for after mid-February.

New year's, so no Harvest Caye yet. I think we are just going to take a cab and go a few places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Slhopper,

You answered your own question. I know this is profiling, but as an American who has traveled for 45 years to 50+ countries, I feel qualified to comment on the mentality of many ugly Americans and especially cruisers who do not know why Belize has to be on their itinerary. Many times when Belize is disrespected on the cruise boards I want to jump in and defend it, but then i remember that we Belizeans do not necessarily want some cruisers coming to The Jewel, so let the PSA stand and encourage those to just stay on the ship.

Come to Belize, leave the city and you will love our people, our food, and the diversity of our country.

Janice

Very well stated. I love Belize it's my fave place and plan to move there when my son is out of school. Some people just expect 5 star everything and freak out about stupid stuff. I mean how dare I get asked if I want to buy something or my hair braided. Shut up and stay on the ship. Use comment n sense it's no more dangerous either than any big city. I had no problem exploring it on my own walking around w my family and would have missed many cool things and the most delectable chicken I've ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time we were in Belize, we went outside the "port" area and there were plenty of drivers in all different types of vehicles to drive you around.

We had a wonderful young man and he showed us everything from his neighbourhood to churches, government buildings all the way up to the mansions!! He told us all about his Belize and family. Once we were near the end of the tour we tipped him ( same amount as we paid for the tour $20 each) We gave him this tip early because his boss would take half his tip for themselves, so he pocketed one $20 and gave his boss the other, the boss then gave him some money back.

We also gave our driver a bag of tootsie roll pop's that we brought for any kids .

We have some good friends that live in San Pablo and my hubby's brother and his wife will be spending the month of Feb. there, we are trying to figure out where we can meet up with them.

Edited by hockeyluver

I second a recommendation for Nacho and Cynthia... we spent a day with them and it was so memorable. we still talk about it. I am anxious to get back to belize now because it is like we are just going to visit our friends. If you book with them it is well worth your time and your money as you will have memories to last a lifetime.

• 2 months later...

We hired a driver from Way to Go Tours after seeing them recommended on this forum and Trip Advisor. We were traveling with our 2 yo son so we wanted some flexibility! I emailed with the owner, Waylon and in less than an hour had replies and everything booked - very good experience booking. We did a custom tour of the places we wanted to see: Altun Hu ruins, Belize Zoo, stop at the Belize sign for a photo and a stop at the prison gift shop. We were quoted a very fair price for 4 people, all day excursion.

waytogotoursbelize dot com

When we arrived at the port we were asked who we were waiting for, someone quickly phoned Waylon and he pulled us aside while we waited for our driver, Jevaun. Waylon is an awesome guy - he knows what he is doing and you are in good hands with any of his crew.

Jevaun took us all over Belize - in the best possible way. We got to Altun Hu ahead of all of the crowds and had the entire place to ourselves, it was amazing! As we exited the ruins bus after bus after bus starting pulling in. Jevaun was knowledgable about all-things-Belize - from floral to fauna to everyday life he would share interesting facts. It rained heavily during parts of our tour but we made the best of it! I would highly recommend this sort of tour with this company!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The link for Cynthia and Nacho has expired. Could someone post the website again? Thank you!

I got the same message. I've sent an email to kip2299@yahoo.com

I'll be back if there's a response or not. He's usually pretty responsive.

Hope all is well with him and Cynthia. He was having some health issues a couple of years ago.

I got the same message. I've sent an email to kip2299@yahoo.com

I'll be back if there's a response or not. He's usually pretty responsive.

Hope all is well with him and Cynthia. He was having some health issues a couple of years ago.

Heard back from Nacho. They are still working. maybe use the email address and let him get back to you. He usually call anyway so leave a phone number.