What scuba course do I need?

mitsugirly

I've also just practiced mask clearing in the shower - let the mask fill with water, let it sit full of water on your face as you get comfortable breathing through your mouth, then clear it and repeat.

I don't think I quite get this. If you fill the mask with water, when you clear a mask under water, you hold the top of the mask and blow to get the water to come out the bottom, but the trick is not getting any water back up in there while getting all the water out. When in the shower, the water is going to automatically drain out the bottom when you blow due to gravity and no other water would be coming back up in it since you are not submerged. Maybe I'm just not understanding. But, my issue isn't clearing the mask like that. My issue is REMOVING the mask entirely and not being able to see, fumbling to put it back on and then get the water out. That's what freaks me out...in salt water. :eek:

I don't think I quite get this. If you fill the mask with water, when you clear a mask under water, you hold the top of the mask and blow to get the water to come out the bottom, but the trick is not getting any water back up in there while getting all the water out. When in the shower, the water is going to automatically drain out the bottom when you blow due to gravity and no other water would be coming back up in it since you are not submerged. Maybe I'm just not understanding. But, my issue isn't clearing the mask like that. My issue is REMOVING the mask entirely and not being able to see, fumbling to put it back on and then get the water out. That's what freaks me out...in salt water. :eek:

You are correct that the mechanics aren't quite the same as clearing when actually submerged. It's more to get comfortable with breathing through your mouth while your eyes and nose are "underwater"

You are correct that the mechanics aren't quite the same as clearing when actually submerged. It's more to get comfortable with breathing through your mouth while your eyes and nose are "underwater"

Oh ok. I thought maybe I just wasn't thinking the right way when you mentioned this. I don't have a problem getting use to breathing through my mouth with my eyes and nose are underwater. I've been snorkeling since the 80's and we cruise about 3-4 times a year and snorkel at each port we go to on the cruise. No issues with that at all. :)

I know this scares you...but really, you want to try to relax and just do it. Like childbirth...it ain't fun but once its over, you get the fun part forever.

LOL, well that's one way to look at it I guess. That totally cracked me up. :D (I guess this should put me at ease since my first 3 children I did natural childbirth, no meds, and they were quick and easy births from 57 minutes - 1 1/2 hours...yep, I have a whole new look at this mask thing now :p)

Oh ok. I thought maybe I just wasn't thinking the right way when you mentioned this. I don't have a problem getting use to breathing through my mouth with my eyes and nose are underwater. I've been snorkeling since the 80's and we cruise about 3-4 times a year and snorkel at each port we go to on the cruise. No issues with that at all. :)

Yeah but when you snorkel you have a mask on :)

Edited by CT Sean

maybe I read the OPs post wrong but is seems to me he's simply looking at a way to dive while on a cruise. If that's the case maybe just take one of the cruise ship intro classes or what is sometimes called a resort class. Basically it teaches the fundamentals and does some shallow water dives. Just about every ship offers it in just about every port in the Caribbean. If you do it enough times they sometime allow you to go a little deeper without being certified.

Yeah but when you snorkel you have a mask on :)

Exactly. My comment was directed toward you comment about "It's more to get comfortable with breathing through your mouth". Maybe I'm still missing something, which is possible. It's been a long day and my munchkin had her scuba class tonight and we are both beat. :)

maybe I read the OPs post wrong but is seems to me he's simply looking at a way to dive while on a cruise. If that's the case maybe just take one of the cruise ship intro classes or what is sometimes called a resort class. Basically it teaches the fundamentals and does some shallow water dives. Just about every ship offers it in just about every port in the Caribbean. If you do it enough times they sometime allow you to go a little deeper without being certified.

MitsuGIRLY (she ;)), but yes, that's what I was looking for (or the reason behind asking about this). I will ONLY be diving when we cruise and only 1 port during the cruise. So...this means maybe 3-4 dives a year. I'm currently only interested in diving from the beach with a gradual decline and not off a boat.

So the cruise ship classes...is this also like a Discover Scuba class where you have to take the class each time? If so, that defeats the purpose of what I was asking (but have no idea how it works). Or, does it give you some type of scuba certificate/license to only dive from the ship excursions or from the shore up to 40' or .... Please elaborate.

So, my 8 year old had her scuba class tonight and I spoke with her dive instructor about this issue.

They do/can offer the Scuba class that accomplishes what I wanted. But, like others have said, you already learn half of the class, with 2 dives, why not go all the way and finish the class and do another 2 dives to get OW. He said they offer the class for $295 and for an extra $100, you could have OW. He also agreed that you would have to pay the $295 for the class and if you decided to do the OW, you'd have to pay the full $395 at that time.

So...I guess I'm just going to wait, continue to just do the Discover Scuba classes while in port and then once my daughter turns 10, if she's still in to this, we'll do the class together. :)

Exactly. My comment was directed toward you comment about "It's more to get comfortable with breathing through your mouth". Maybe I'm still missing something, which is possible. It's been a long day and my munchkin had her scuba class tonight and we are both beat. :)

Imagine snorkeling without your mask on - that's what I'm getting at with the whole "mask full of water in the shower"

maybe you'd be happier taking up skiing ..... or horseback riding ......

with this much anxiety over classes I have questions about your ever becoming a 'comfortable' diver

this is NOT intended as a 'dis' btw but a 'wait, look around' call .....

My dw was VERY anxious about diving but I worked with her slowly and methodically for years getting her VERY comfortable with snorkeling and especially the skills of clearing the mask and snorkel. THEN I went with her on a discovery dive and she smacked me asking why I held this back for so long! Previously, cuz of very poor vision she'd always been afraid .... 4 weeks later she'd completed Open Water and on the way home from the last dive booked our first week long Cayman trip .....

You appear to be no where CLOSE to COMFORTABLE in the water with a mask and snorkel and I encourage you to try to find plenty of pool time to see if you can work thru this to make diving FUN. Maybe search out an underwater hockey league .....

http://www.underwater-society.org/uwhockey.html

maybe you'd be happier taking up skiing ..... or horseback riding ......

with this much anxiety over classes I have questions about your ever becoming a 'comfortable' diver

this is NOT intended as a 'dis' btw but a 'wait, look around' call .....

My dw was VERY anxious about diving but I worked with her slowly and methodically for years getting her VERY comfortable with snorkeling and especially the skills of clearing the mask and snorkel. THEN I went with her on a discovery dive and she smacked me asking why I held this back for so long! Previously, cuz of very poor vision she'd always been afraid .... 4 weeks later she'd completed Open Water and on the way home from the last dive booked our first week long Cayman trip .....

You appear to be no where CLOSE to COMFORTABLE in the water with a mask and snorkel and I encourage you to try to find plenty of pool time to see if you can work thru this to make diving FUN. Maybe search out an underwater hockey league .....

http://www.underwater-society.org/uwhockey.html

Um :eek: Obviously you don't know me around these boards? :confused: I've been snorkeling since the 80's and snorkeling regularly on each cruise, every port, since 2010 (we usually cruise now, over the last several years, about 3-4 times a year and snorkel in 3-4 ports each time), so I would say yea, I'm super experienced in snorkeling and very comfortable in the water and comfortable with my mask and my snorkel. (If you ever get a chance, check out some of my reviews and my snorkeling pictures, or even my dive pictures from Coki. Not your average "snorkeler" who's just in and out of the water...I live in it at each port) I've had my, now 8 year old, snorkeling since she was 3 years old. But, snorkeling doesn't require you to go to the bottom of the ocean floor and remove your mask...in salt water. There's a big difference. :( That just freaks me out for some reason. I may be freaked out for no reason. Who knows.

Um :eek: Obviously you don't know me around these boards? :confused: I've been snorkeling since the 80's and snorkeling regularly on each cruise, every port, since 2010 (we usually cruise now, over the last several years, about 3-4 times a year and snorkel in 3-4 ports each time), so I would say yea, I'm super experienced in snorkeling and very comfortable in the water and comfortable with my mask and my snorkel. (If you ever get a chance, check out some of my reviews and my snorkeling pictures, or even my dive pictures from Coki. Not your average "snorkeler" who's just in and out of the water...I live in it at each port) I've had my, now 8 year old, snorkeling since she was 3 years old. But, snorkeling doesn't require you to go to the bottom of the ocean floor and remove your mask...in salt water. There's a big difference. :( That just freaks me out for some reason. I may be freaked out for no reason. Who knows.

I think you are not getting the point here.... we are telling you that if you are so terrified of salt water in your mask, then you aren't really cut out for scuba diving. There are many more dangerous events that can happen underwater, things that can injure you or worse... salt water in your eyes for a minute is a minor issue. When you get certified to scuba dive, you have to learn to "problem solve" underwater, no matter what the problem is, and not shoot to the surface (which will probably kill you).

Learning to problem solve, like clearing your mask of water, or even having your mask kicked off by someone....yes, it will probably happen at least once (I told you of what happened with my kid), or someone else on the dive running out of air and swimming over to you and grabbing your regulator out of your mouth....you learn what to do in each of these cases, first in pool practices, then you have to demonstrate them all in the open water dives. It is important to learn to Problem Solve underwater to save your life.

These are just some of the isssues that you are trained to calmly resolve underwater in your Scuba Certification course.

The mask skills are definitely the least favorite for most people...but they do it because they will need to have done it at least once in the ocean before it happens by accident. Trust me.... every diver has to clear their mask of water at least once each dive, just from leaks from turning their head a certain way.... or ME from smiling (I break the seal every time I smile and when I got certified I smiled constantly every time a fish swam by me. LOL) It was see fish, smile, clear mask, see another fish, smile, clear mask... the whole dive for a long, long time.

So.... if you really are afraid of all the things you need to learn to become a certified scuba diver, maybe you should just accept it. It isn't for everyone.

Do not give up as we enjoy your Reviews and Pictures.

You are comfortable with mask and snorkel for some years now. Ok for a bit of saltwater in mask to eyes! Remember that tears are saltwater.

With scuba, one of my learning items was: tank and mask at bottom of pool deep end, swim down, put on mask and clear, take a few breaths, and put on tank and secure. This is ok for you to swim to deep end as lots of snorkelling.

How do you get used to salt water in eyes and no mask?

After snorkelling and picture taking, stand in the water about waist height. Squat down under water with no mask or snorkel open eyes a bit. Do not open eyes wide. Repeat and look around at blurry scenes. When more comfortable, back underwater, take face mask and push on face from front with both hands, clear mask. Surface and repeat. Then do it and place mask strap around head and clear. Practise until you are very comfortable with having mask on or off.

Scuba has learning and problem solving that become automatic:

Mask on and off, buddy breathing, tank on and off, relax and be comfortable with large fish flashing by your mask field of vision, beach entry and boat entry.

You can do it all, but ok to wait until Sakari is 10.

We look forward to your next report.

Clearing your mask underwater sounds much more scary than it actually is - once you've done it, your attitude will be sorta " Oh - that . . . ". As far as salt water, there's some sting initially but not much and you get used to it in a matter of seconds. For me, the issue is that my mask has diopter lenses and I can see virtually nothing underwater without the mask. That's the reason I carry a second mask - for redundancy. One does what one has to do. My suggestion - relax, enjoy the ride, and don't overthink the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by smokinmike

Do not give up as we enjoy your Reviews and Pictures.

You are comfortable with mask and snorkel for some years now. Ok for a bit of saltwater in mask to eyes! Remember that tears are saltwater.

With scuba, one of my learning items was: tank and mask at bottom of pool deep end, swim down, put on mask and clear, take a few breaths, and put on tank and secure. This is ok for you to swim to deep end as lots of snorkelling.

How do you get used to salt water in eyes and no mask?

After snorkelling and picture taking, stand in the water about waist height. Squat down under water with no mask or snorkel open eyes a bit. Do not open eyes wide. Repeat and look around at blurry scenes. When more comfortable, back underwater, take face mask and push on face from front with both hands, clear mask. Surface and repeat. Then do it and place mask strap around head and clear. Practise until you are very comfortable with having mask on or off.

Scuba has learning and problem solving that become automatic:

Mask on and off, buddy breathing, tank on and off, relax and be comfortable with large fish flashing by your mask field of vision, beach entry and boat entry.

You can do it all, but ok to wait until Sakari is 10.

We look forward to your next report.

Trust me, I'm not giving up. I will just keep plucking away at it and see.

You see the problem is opening the eyes...I CAN'T open my eyes under water...whether it be pool water and especially salt water. I have contacts. If I did that, I'd be without eyesight above water as well. :p I think that's what's freaking me out the most. I would be doing this all blind so to say. I'm fine with clearing a mask. I have practiced filling the mask with some water (salt) and then clearing it. Just completely removing it (or especially if it was to get kicked off) I just can't imagine how you would go about finding it. I guess if I was ever put in the position that they were kicked off, I would do what I have to do to either find them and lose my contacts, or come up to the surface.

I'm going to talk to the dive instructor about my concerns (he's wonderful and always helps us out and stays over to talk to us) and see if there's any suggestions he would have to put my mind at ease.

Clearing your mask underwater sounds much more scary than it actually is - once you've done it, your attitude will be sorta " Oh - that . . . ". As far as salt water, there's some sting initially but not much and you get used to it in a matter of seconds. For me, the issue is that my mask has diopter lenses and I can see virtually nothing underwater without the mask. That's the reason I carry a second mask - for redundancy. One does what one has to do. My suggestion - relax, enjoy the ride, and don't overthink the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea, clearing the mask isn't the problem. I can do that. Opening the eyes, now that's definitely a problem. LOL I'm going to try not to overthink it. I'll just keep doing the discover dives each cruise until I get more and more comfortable with it. Hopefully one day it will be a thing of the past.

Who told you that you need to open your eyes with the mask full of water? Not true. Most people clamp their eyes shut until they know the mask is clear, then open. There will be a little stinging at that time but it passes quickly.

Who told you that you need to open your eyes with the mask full of water? Not true. Most people clamp their eyes shut until they know the mask is clear, then open. There will be a little stinging at that time but it passes quickly.

Ditto this - I never open my eyes with my mask off. My eyes are a bit too dry to "recover" from salt water immersion.

I don't believe I said anyone told me I had to open my eyes with a full mask of water.

I was responding to my last post to gui218 when it was said "How do you get used to salt water in eyes and no mask?

After snorkelling and picture taking, stand in the water about waist height. Squat down under water with no mask or snorkel open eyes a bit. Do not open eyes wide. Repeat and look around at blurry scenes. When more comfortable, back underwater, take face mask and push on face from front with both hands, clear mask. Surface and repeat. Then do it and place mask strap around head and clear. Practise until you are very comfortable with having mask on or off." Then it was also mentioned how they did their learning items by diving down in the pool, retrieving mask, putting it on, then putting on the scuba gear. You would have to open your eyes to find the mask in the first place.

Then also with the mention that you said about getting the mask kicked off by accident. If the mask is kicked off...how else would you find it if you don't open your eyes? :confused:

That's where the opening the eyes came from...that and having to fully remove the mask, put it on and clear it, THEN open the eyes and hope that you were actually able to clear it instead of getting salt water in the eyes.

Ditto this - I never open my eyes with my mask off. My eyes are a bit too dry to "recover" from salt water immersion.

So...what would you do if someone kicked your mask off? How would you find it?

Anyhow...

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to ALL of you for all of the information, suggestions, encouragement, advice, concerns, and even criticism. I really appreciate it and have taken it all in.

I am going to hold off on any classes right now, at least until my daughter turns 10 and we will play it by ear and see if she is no longer having issues with clearing her ears (she has improved with each class monthly, so things are hopeful).

I will continue to do the Discover Scuba Dives in at least one port each cruise. Hopefully I will get more acquainted with tasks needed to become a safe diver along the way and become a little more at ease. I will practice on my next cruise with removing the mask and putting it on and see how it goes. I will continue to do this up until the time we may get certified. I'm not a quitter. If I could, I would live at the ocean. I do and always have loved the ocean and all it has to offer. That's why each one of our cruises involve going to the ocean and snorkeling. The beauty of it is just so relaxing and heavenly. There's nothing else on earth like it. It feels like home to me. I just need to get more acquainted with the "neighborhood". :D

I still believe that even when (if) I get certified, I will probably never be considered one of those "experienced" divers. I will probably never live long enough to get more than 50 dives under my belt. I will always want to dive with an instructor...and I'm ok with that. Just as long as I get to do it and experience what I have in my own mind as what I would like to accomplish.

Thanks again.

Oh, and if any of you have any recommendations, could you please let me know what you think I should do HERE? Everyone that has commented and helped me out in this thread would probably have the best recommendation for what my family needs in a dive. :)

So...what would you do if someone kicked your mask off? How would you find it?

If my mask was actually kicked off I'd probably suck it up and open my eyes. I do my best to avoid being in a situation where that can happen (so far I've been completely successful) but if I'm just doing a little mask drill, i'm not going to bother opening them. I have no need to "train" my eyes to be open underwater (that's what masks are for :) )

The reason we wear masks is that our eyes are really bad at seeing underwater. I've opened my eyes during mask removal drills on a pool and it makes me wonder whether I'd be able to calmly locate a missing mask in salt water without a featureless bottom.

The reason we wear masks is that our eyes are really bad at seeing underwater. I've opened my eyes during mask removal drills on a pool and it makes me wonder whether I'd be able to calmly locate a missing mask in salt water without a featureless bottom.

IF someone were to kick your mask off...yes, it does happen, your mask does not sink to the bottom like a rock. It actually starts floating away and may go downwards very slowly. Most people catch their mask before it leaves their face. I have never seen anyone completely lose their mask except those who insist on, at the surface, putting their mask up on their forehead! Those are the people who lose their mask.

A clear mask skirt is harder to see, very true. I wear a black skirted mask for several reasons, but also it would be easier to see if it did come off. Main reason is that I am a photographer/videographer and it helps you see the screen better if you do not have light entering your eye from the sides.

Also, the black skirted masks have a softer skirt, which doesn't yellow over time and doesn't get dried out and crack. It stays supple. I have had my current black skirted mask for 7+ years. My DH has one that is 10+ yrs old.

Hi Kim!

You and I have chatted somewhat along the road - so thought Id share with you my experience.

I did my DSD in January 2016 - plus two open water dives. I have just (24th January 2017!) been certified Open Water Diver. I can tell you there is a huge difference between the discovery experience and the dives and skills with full cert. Plus, you have your study to do, which you can do online in advance if you wish.

After doing my DSD in January 16 on land, I was booked to go to Bermuda on an extra DSD in October 16, the ship missed the port and I missed my excursion. At the time I was disappointed. In hindsight now - I am glad. I think Scuba is something you have to take very seriously, not only for your life, but for the life of your buddy, whom ultimately, if you are certified, you need to be confident you can A), save your own life and B) save your buddy's if they are in danger.

The mask skills - I have contacts - and honestly - it was a piece of cake. Once you master breathing - taking off your mask down there in the deep - (I did mine at 54ft) - It was actually very therapeutic and if you are totally relaxed - and just go with it - it comes naturally. If you can do it in the pool at 6ft, you can do it underwater at 50ft- If you cant - then don't dive. Take your time - don't rush it. Open Water Diver involves a lot more than a couple of dives. And no, my dive master (who did my DSD) did NOT include my previous dives as part of my Open Water. She was 100% diligent - and in all honesty, although I am certified, I think was I to go diving next week I would be requesting a dive master/instructor (I would happily pay) as my buddy for a good few dives yet and until I have more experience.

This year (Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman btw was my dive sites) - after I completed more intense pool skills - I combined my online study with my actual practice. It all made sense - and at the end of the day - its all about safety - My dive master was 100% diligent and she made it abundantly clear to me that unless she was fully satisfied that I was 100% able, then she wouldn't pass me.

My first three dives (this year - by that time I had 5 dives underway) were defo all about skills. Everything you learn in a pool - you do for real out there in the ocean. My 4th (6th) dive, I got back on the boat, sat with my divemaster for de-briefing, and she said to me "wanna hear the good news?" - "YOU'RE DONE!" - 4th dive was all about sheer enjoyment and it was just amazing - I had one last skill which I had missed which was removal of BCD and putting it back on in the ocean - but that was a doddle.

Don't get stressed out over the mask removal - its amazing - just remember you have air. I was worried about my hair tangling - which it did btw - but I just kept breathing, sat down there on the ocean floor, took my time - replaced my mask, sorted my hair so it wasn't interfering with my mask, cleared my mask a couple of times - and hey presto - high fives and hugs from my DM... Its EASY - Your contacts will survive the salt water easy - whats the worse can happen? Bit nippy for a few minutes?

Try going in the pool with just your snorkel underwater at "stand up" depth. open your eyes - and just breathe - everythings a blur - but its light and you can see. Don't forget you will have a swim to do without a mask too - as part of your Open Water. I practiced in a pool with my mask off and put a snorkel tucked into a hair band only - Even just try sitting in the shallow end of a pool - and just get used to that feeling of mouth breathing and opening your eyes. I promise you - its much easier even with contacts, than you think.....

If you panic, then diving is not for you. But having followed your life and times, I believe its something you will pursue and hey - YOU CAN DO IT!!

But - its important you understand the whole package. If you went diving off a cruise port stop would you know how to check the tank, the equipment, and BCD? How would you ensure your safety? Just "trust" that the agent is PADI certified? No - you need to know and understand -

So - my tuppence worth. From a cruise ship either continue enjoying DSDs - OR - get yourself fully certified. The "in between" would be fine if say you were on land at a vacation resort such as "Sandals" where "resort diving" is the norm. But to go "resort diving" to unknown agents here and there? ....

On another note - I know Sakari has problems with her ears during flights? (now I know all about air spaces!!) - I was on a flight yesterday and saw an amazing trick. A mother places two plastic tumblers over her childs ears during take off and landing. Lo and behold - a magical cure ...

she held them firmly around the childs ears - looked very silly - but goodness did it do the trick!!

Underwater equalise BEFORE the pain or discomfort - don't wait - every few feet, a wee equalise and its fine, if not, ascend a few feet until it passed and try again.

(Go me the expert hahaha!).

Also speak to your optician - and yes, you can at the end of the day do your mask removal with your eyes closed, but you do still have to do that swim without a mask. You are tested for "what if" scenarios during your Open Water Diver. Chances are - we wont experience them in real life, but - the training prepares you for your safety - would you want to be diving with someone who couldn't ultimately save you if you were in trouble? No ?

Don't give up. Master that hurdle - I know you and Sakari can come home with amazing footage!! Do the "hairband and snorkel only" rehearsal - it was a huge help to me and had me really prepped for my real experience - give it a go!! best of luck to you both XX B

The Open Water Diver course now requires you to do a full mask removal and recovery, and do a swim without a mask. Sure you can do it with your eyes closed but I wouldn't like to have fumbled my way blindly around the pool without my eyes open.....I had to take my mask off, put it up my arm, and do a lap of the pool minus the mask - I don't think I would have found my way around minus the mask...