Hotels Along I-80/New Jersery close to Manhattan Terminal

woods79

Hello,

This spring we will be driving down, from Southern Ontario, to board the Breakaway in Manhattan. We are planning on arriving one night prior and would like to book a hotel right off of the I-80, in New Jersery, no more then 45 minutes away from the Manhattan Pier.

Can anyone recommend a hotel they may have stayed at along this route. I assume the closer to Manhattan, the higher the cost, however would like to hear everyone's experience to help with our choice.

We did the drive in 2015, but it was overnight and we can't recall what we saw along the route!

Thanks!

Edited by woods79

Hello,

This spring we will be driving down, from Southern Ontario, to board the Breakaway in Manhattan. We are planning on arriving one night prior and would like to book a hotel right off of the I-80, in New Jersery, no more then 45 minutes away from the Manhattan Pier.

Can anyone recommend a hotel they may have stayed at along this route. I assume the closer to Manhattan, the higher the cost, however would like to hear everyone's experience to help with our choice.

We did the drive in 2015, but it was overnight and we can't recall what we saw along the route!

Thanks!

What exact date do you need a hotel? Budget? How many people?

We drove twice from Northern Ontario to cruise with NCL. Crossed at Thousand Islands.

We stayed at the Wyndham Garden in Newark for the 21 day free parking.

Both times we stayed a night in Newark then second in Manhattan before we embarked the ships.

First time we took the shuttle to the airport and took the train into manhattan.

Second time we hired a car.

Third time (next month), we are staying at the Ramada as we purchased a package through Trinityreservations that offers free parking and free round trip shuttle to our cruise port (were in Cape Liberty this time).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We often recommend looking in the Parsipanny NJ area for pre cruise hotels for the Manhattan Cruiseport. There is a nice pool of suburban hotels that service business travelers and have good weekend rates. These hotels are located in more suburban areas with restaurants and services. Hotwire for a 3*+ hotel in this area is definitely an option.

Parsippany fits your needs.

If you are willing to go to an hour out you can also try Mt. Olive (exit 25-6), Mt. Arlington (exit 30) & near the Rockaway Mall (exit 35)

Closer to NYC there's a Hilton near Hackensack / Hasbrook Heights and a Glenpoint Marriot in Teaneck.

We drove twice from Northern Ontario to cruise with NCL. Crossed at Thousand Islands.

Both times we stayed a night in Newark then second in Manhattan before we embarked the ships.

First time we took the shuttle to the airport and took the train into manhattan.

Third time (next month), we are staying at the Ramada as we purchased a package through Trinityreservations that offers free parking and free round trip shuttle to our cruise port (were in Cape Liberty this time).

Tiptopz

Do you recal the cost for the car service? Last year we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park but they offered a package with car service , just trying to gauge the cost this June

Tiptopz

Do you recal the cost for the car service? Last year we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park but they offered a package with car service , just trying to gauge the cost this June

We went with a "luxury". Wasn't that fancy but it was about $70. I can't remember for the life of me what company we used though. It was an app on my phone, tracked when the car arrived etc. Very reliable and right on time.

Tiptopz

Do you recall the cost for the car service? Last year we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park but they offered a package with car service , just trying to gauge the cost this June

You're sailing on the Gem for 7 days on June 17, right? Have you considered getting a Hotwire hotel in Greenwich or Stamford CT for June 16? Right now I'm seeing a 4* Greenwich hotel (could be the Hyatt Regency) for $85 plus taxes and fees. Our family has done this numerous times for family events. Any 3* and up hotel in this area is more than acceptable - actually much nicer than almost any Newark area pre cruise hotel.

The next morning you take the cars only route (directions can be provided) directly to the Manhattan cruise terminal via the Hutch, Saw Mill, and Henry Hudson parkways. Get the coupon for the 25% off Gem parking so that it will cost only $210. This plan eliminates the time and hassle of getting to and from NJ several times as well as a $15 bridge toll and turnpike tolls. I estimate this will save you at least 2+ hours of travel time.

Hi tiptopz! I'm also on the Anthem on Feb 7 and doing the cruise package at the Ramada. I'm anxious to see first hand how it works. Friends have used it and been very happy. Cross your fingers that there is no snow event!

Hi tiptopz! I'm also on the Anthem on Feb 7 and doing the cruise package at the Ramada. I'm anxious to see first hand how it works. Friends have used it and been very happy. Cross your fingers that there is no snow event!

Do you happen to know what they bring us in? A car? Shuttle bus? I have children who need booster seats. Obviously this isn't necessary if a bus but in a car, I'm wondering if I should call hotel to arrange now or?

Fingers and toes are crossed for no snow from here to there!! We have winter tires and 4x4 as we are used to the snow (driving from northern Ontario) so I'm not too concerned but a snow free trip is definitely the hope! :)

Do you happen to know what they bring us in? A car? Shuttle bus? I have children who need booster seats. Obviously this isn't necessary if a bus but in a car, I'm wondering if I should call hotel to arrange now or?

Fingers and toes are crossed for no snow from here to there!! We have winter tires and 4x4 as we are used to the snow (driving from northern Ontario) so I'm not too concerned but a snow free trip is definitely the hope! :)

My impression is that it is a shuttle bus of some sort. This package is all arranged through Trinity Reservations, not the Ramada, so you should contact them. I have used trinity before at another EWR hotel without transportation and I have actually stayed at the Ramada property when it was a Holiday Inn.

Do you have good directions to the hotel? It can be a little tricky to find. Would you come from Exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike? Hopefully GPS is now better than it was several years ago.

My impression is that it is a shuttle bus of some sort. This package is all arranged through Trinity Reservations, not the Ramada, so you should contact them. I have used trinity before at another EWR hotel without transportation and I have actually stayed at the Ramada property when it was a Holiday Inn.

Do you have good directions to the hotel? It can be a little tricky to find. Would you come from Exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike? Hopefully GPS is now better than it was several years ago.

Thank you!! It let us pick times, that's why I thought maybe it was private cars.

We've stayed at the Wyndham. I was under the impression it was close to that? Maybe I was just hoping.

We will be crossing at 1000 islands and south.

I am open to any and all suggestions for best way to get there if you have any. I would prefer to avoid the actual cities and stay on big highways as long as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Thank you!! It let us pick times, that's why I thought maybe it was private cars.

We've stayed at the Wyndham. I was under the impression it was close to that? Maybe I was just hoping.

We will be crossing at 1000 islands and south.

I am open to any and all suggestions for best way to get there if you have any. I would prefer to avoid the actual cities and stay on big highways as long as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

It looks like you would come in on I78 east. Google maps says Exit 58B. My recollection is that you do NOT want to be in the I78 express lanes, which feed into the exit 14 interchange of the NJ Turnpike. Look at the map - when you get off at exit 58B, the exit ramp makes a circle loop and crosses over I78. It looks like you stay to the right to exit onto Frontage Road (do not get onto routes 1&9 north). Frontage Road loops around past the Howard Johnson's, back under routes 1&9, and then on down past the Doubletree to the Ramada. IMO this area can be super confusing - if you make a wrong turn, you will get lost in a mess of spaghetti ramps and roads.