Quebec City Shopping

I am trying to decide which day I want to do shopping and what day I want to go on an excursion.

Are the shops open on Sundays there? All day?

Thanks for your imput,

Rabbitlady

We were there on Sunday, May 24 and most shops were open, including the Farmer's Market in the lower town and many (but not all) galleries and antique shops along rue St. Paul. In the Upper Town, rue St. Jean is a pedestrianized shopping street, and everything was open, with many people shopping. Don't know about all day, we had to be back on board by 4:30.

When I visited Quebec City a few years ago I shopped at an upscale mall in Ste. Foy. I would like to go back when we are in Quebec prior to our Sept. cruise. I cannot remember the name of the mall and when I check on the internet I see that there are three that are quite close to each other. Could someone local please help me with the name of the mall I am looking for? It did not have the ususal mall chains that we are used to in Canada and had a lot of ladies' wear stores that sell good quality European clothing.

I figure I can shop without regard to luggage weight regulations because our cruise stops in Saint John on the way to Fort Lauderdale and I can just run home with my purchases and drop them off before I get back on the ship. It can't get more convenient than that!!:D

When I visited Quebec City a few years ago I shopped at an upscale mall in Ste. Foy. I would like to go back when we are in Quebec prior to our Sept. cruise. I cannot remember the name of the mall and when I check on the internet I see that there are three that are quite close to each other. Could someone local please help me with the name of the mall I am looking for? It did not have the ususal mall chains that we are used to in Canada and had a lot of ladies' wear stores that sell good quality European clothing.

I figure I can shop without regard to luggage weight regulations because our cruise stops in Saint John on the way to Fort Lauderdale and I can just run home with my purchases and drop them off before I get back on the ship. It can't get more convenient than that!!:D

There is Place Ste-Foy which has some bigger stores (grocery, huge CD/DVD Place) and regular boutiques.

The smaller one (and more upscale one) is Place de la Cité (in between of the other two).

And Place Laurier (the bigger one and favorite of many people with Les Ailes de la mode and lots of nice boutiques).

When I go there for a shopping day, I do all 3 (there is only a street separating, almost like a huge commercial center).

There is Place Ste-Foy which has some bigger stores (grocery, huge CD/DVD Place) and regular boutiques.

The smaller one (and more upscale one) is Place de la Cité (in between of the other two).

And Place Laurier (the bigger one and favorite of many people with Les Ailes de la mode and lots of nice boutiques).

When I go there for a shopping day, I do all 3 (there is only a street separating, almost like a huge commercial center).

I seem to remember that the one I am looking for had a Holt Renfrew located in it.

Well actually the Les ailes de la Mode is at Laurier and not Place Ste-Foy(It changed name last year)

Also i think that Laurier has more bigger stores than Place Ste-Foy. It has a Zellers, Sears, La Baie, Future Shop, Renaud-Bray (books) and a Toy's rus. But anyway it's no big deal.

And btw, locals use to call all three centres Laurier since they are so close to each other.

Well actually the Les ailes de la Mode is at Laurier and not Place Ste-Foy(It changed name last year)

No it isn't. Unless both the website for Place Laurier and Place Sainte-Foy are outdated (and things have changed in the last couple of months since I was there), Les Ailes is in Place Sainte-Foy.

If going to Place Sainte-Foy, be sure to also check out Simons, our own home-grown department store, and Fournier, for lovely leather goods and luggage.

I am glad to hear that shops are open on Sundays. In the downtown area, are the small shops open early in the morning or? I am following doing a self walking tour through the downtown areas. I know the shopping mall centers are open as stated above.

Thanks again,

Rabbitlady

No it isn't. Unless both the website for Place Laurier and Place Sainte-Foy are outdated (and things have changed in the last couple of months since I was there), Les Ailes is in Place Sainte-Foy.

If going to Place Sainte-Foy, be sure to also check out Simons, our own home-grown department store, and Fournier, for lovely leather goods and luggage.

Don't know where i had my mind but you're right. My mistake :)

edit: Actually we were both wrong. You first said it was at Laurier so i wanted to say it was at Place Ste-Foy but i said Laurier instead. :)

I am glad to hear that shops are open on Sundays. In the downtown area, are the small shops open early in the morning or? I am following doing a self walking tour through the downtown areas. I know the shopping mall centers are open as stated above.

If a shop is open, it should be open from 9 to 5.

Edited by koiv870

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Welcome to Cruise Critic writergirl_14. Your first lesson is to look at the date of postings you are replying to. This one is from 2009 and I'm quite sure the original poster has long finished her trip to Quebec City.

:eek::p:(

• 1 month later...

Since this is the Canada/Pacific Coast board, I really hope that the original poster discovered - before it was too late - that Quebec is not on the Pacific Coast of Canada.

A wise man once told me that war was God's way of teaching geography to Americans.

Since this is the Canada/Pacific Coast board, I really hope that the original poster discovered - before it was too late - that Quebec is not on the Pacific Coast of Canada.

A wise man once told me that war was God's way of teaching geography to Americans.

^ Bruce, despite the rudeness of your comment here, I will respond kindly and remind you (or tell you for the first time if you didn't know) that at one time, all of Canada was one board. They divided it into east and west coast Canada forums a few years back. I'm not sure how they actually divided the threads, but you will notice there are many east coast threads in this west coast forum in the latter pages.

Agree with the previous poster - this thread goes back to 2009 when there was likely just the one Canada board and I suspect when a search was done it came up in this thread.

It is easy enough to fix - just contact the moderator and they will move it to the proper thread.

Cheers!

Dennis