Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

Pool chair manners. I know we all dislike the fact that people will save pool chairs. How is this monitored by the crew on Summit? We are sailing to Bermuda on the 7th of August . We love to sit in a shaded spot by the pool. What are the chances that we could find such a spot at 11:00am on a sea day? Should we ask a crew member to find us a seat? If we find a towel on a chair, should we automatically consider it "taken" or claim the spot? What about the 1/2 of a flip flop on a chair and it's mate on another? It is so frustrating to know that if everyone just waited to claim a chair when they actually needed to use it and vacated their chair when they were off to lunch or to catch an event, then everyone would be able to be accommodated. Exactly, how much cooperation can we expect from Celebrity to control the chair hogs?

Ok...you head to the pool.you see chairs with towels on them...ok...you're pissed. BUT...are there ANY other vacant chairs? I bet there are! Take one of those! Don't worry about the "saved" chairs! Now...if there are NO other chairs anywhere...and I mean NO CHAIRS...then move a towel and sit....it's not hard and you shouldn't get so upset this far in advance! Lordy!

Aren't you the lucky one..to be on a cruise at all? Think of it that way!

This is NOT a cruiseship issue..at any resort, this will happen. Adults deal with it... spoiled people throw a fit. Which are you?

Edited by cb at sea

Ok...you head to the pool.you see chairs with towels on them...ok...you're pissed. BUT...are there ANY other vacant chairs? I bet there are! Take one of those! Don't worry about the "saved" chairs! Now...if there are NO other chairs anywhere...and I mean NO CHAIRS...then move a towel and sit....it's not hard and you shouldn't get so upset this far in advance! Lordy!

This is NOT a cruiseship issue..at any resort, this will happen. Adults deal with it... spoiled people throw a fit. Which are you?

I am neither...I deal with it. We were recently at an all inclusive where it was a huge issue. At 830am, we decided to read on the beach. Most of the lounge chairs still had used towels on them from the night before. We took the dirty crumpled towels on the chairs and placed them in a bin. About noon this burly man came to our chairs and demanded his lounge chairs. He was totally out of control and told us to leave. We ignored him. Fortunately, the attendant came over and stated that we had been in the chairs for hours and the chairs were not to be saved. The man actually said that he put his dirty towels on the chairs at 10:00pm the night before to save his spot.

Perhaps, selfish folks wish to arrive early in the day to reserve their chairs. Perhaps, those folks don't intend to sit in this chair until noon. They are just being selfish. My point is that we are all guests on the ship and NO ONE has the right to hog. If we all behaved as civilized adults, then we would not have an issue with chair hogging. Can't we all just get along? (You do seem to be very sensitive to this issue...I hope you are not defending chair hogs?)

If you are heading out to the pool at 11am on a sea day your chances of finding a seat in the shade are somewhere between Slim and none, and Slim left town on the last stage. By 11am the morning "reservers" are at their chairs. 11:30, they will "temporarily" vacate their chairs for a leisurely 2 hour lunch. Then around 1 to 1:30 about 2/3 of them return. The other third are busy at a shopping show for the next port, but they are going to be "right back".

If you want a space in the shade, you better get going prior to 11am.

Edited by neverbeenhere

No real difference from any other cruise ship/hotel/resort The British are among the worst of this. British holidaymakers used to complain that the German tourists used to claim all the sunbeds early at hotels, but the Brits are far superior at this these days.

On all my celebrity cruises I've always found a chair in the shade no matter what time I've looked. The more chairs you are looking for together, the harder it gets. A family of 4 finding 4 chairs together at 11am in the shade might be tough.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's a link to what every line should be doing:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/SeaSetter/2016-06-15%20Pool%20Police%20Tag%202.jpg

No real difference from any other cruise ship/hotel/resort The British are among the worst of this. British holidaymakers used to complain that the German tourists used to claim all the sunbeds early at hotels, but the Brits are far superior at this these days.

I don't think this will be an issue with the British anymore as they will have their own separate area beside the pools now.

Celebrity was putting out cards in May, reminding pax of no saving seats, and that their items could be removed. I'm not sure how well it was enforced, but at least they were making an effort!

I love these types of threads. :D Total guilty pleasure!

Anyway, my wife and I are like the OP, getting to the pool later in the morning, looking for a shady area. We have never had an issue on any cruise that we've taken in finding a lounger in shade, despite the very obvious attempts to "reserve" a chair.

Love that!

I like breakfast on the balcony, DH likes the WJ. We go down to the pool around 8:00-8:30.

I enjoy the sun while DH comes back from the WJ in about 20 mins. and we stay until lunch. If I see someone looking for a chair then, I offer them ours.

Can't ever remember having a problem with chairs by the pool with this routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by webecruzin2

I love these types of threads. :D Total guilty pleasure!

Anyway, my wife and I are like the OP, getting to the pool later in the morning, looking for a shady area. We have never had an issue on any cruise that we've taken in finding a lounger in shade, despite the very obvious attempts to "reserve" a chair.

One of the "newer" trends seems to be reserving one in the sun AND one in the shade. Maybe it is not new, I may have just not noticed.:eek:

One of the "newer" trends seems to be reserving one in the sun AND one in the shade. Maybe it is not new, I may have just not noticed.:eek:

I was also going to comment on that. I have noticed that on our last two cruises. When it does get hot on the deck, you need a place to cool off in the shade.

I was in the solarium the other day and every single lounge chair was occupied or reserved. Every single one. My daughter and I walked up and down the aisles checking carefully. There were only about 10-15 people in the pool & whirlpools at that time. We were tempted to move a few towels but instead went and sat outside in the chilly Alaska air. Plenty of loungers available there. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We all are entitled to an opinion, never do I insult. take a look at this in a different way 12 seats in the Main theater. one to two people holding them..

Yes people do things unexplained. punish them for that. insult them while they are not here. no one is insulting it is talked about. a thousand threads and repeated over and over ,

If a seat is where you like and is taken, you kindly ask and let the Staff handle it then you making " a Scene"

Gopro63

Edited by gopro63

We all are entitled to an opinion, never do I insult. take a look at this in a different way 12 seats in the Main theater. one to two people holding them..

Yes people do things unexplained. punish them for that. insult them while they are not here. no one is insulting it is talked about. a thousand threads and repeated over and over ,

If a seat is where you like and is taken, you kindly ask and let the Staff handle it then you making " a Scene"

Gopro63

THAT doesn't bother me. There are people there waiting for others to show up. Now if those seats are open right as the show is about to begin, they're "free game" as far as I am concerned at that point.

As for those who lay towels to save chairs, etc., there's a lost & found I like to use for such items.... :D

Saw numerous chair hogs on the Summit last week. Witnessed a minor altercation regarding one of the large loungers right in front of the stage.

Since there were ZERO chairs available anywhere, we had to use the bench on the front side of the kid's pool; not ideal but it worked for us. For a while, we never saw anyone on the loungers in front of us, but as soon as a guest moved a towel and laid down in one, a burly man came pounding over from the smoking section to impolitely tell him that those chairs were being "used". He was ignored, but was very aggressive. These same smokers had those prime chairs saved every day and I rarely ever saw anyone in any of them (and we were at that pool a lot).

Side note: we also had a lady immediately storm off of an elevator once my family of four got on. She was angrily mumbling something about never being able to have an elevator to herself...

Edited by BTVCruiser