Drive from Seattle to Vancouver

We are thinking about flying into Seattle and driving to Vancouver has anyone done this and what are your recommendations? Flights into Vancouver are so very expensive so looking at different options. Is there a problem getting across the border? Is the drive nice and would make for a good day of traveling?

Thanks,

Kim

We are thinking about flying into Seattle and driving to Vancouver has anyone done this and what are your recommendations? Flights into Vancouver are so very expensive so looking at different options. Is there a problem getting across the border? Is the drive nice and would make for a good day of traveling?

Thanks,

Kim

Seatac to Vancouver will be about a 3 hour drive more or less, depending on traffic (mainly through the Seattle/Tacoma corridor). The remainder to the border is all Interstate (I-5) and is normally quite easy - barring freeway accident(s) , of course. Usually the border crossing should be fairly painless northbound, just remember your passport and leave your guns and marijuana at home(if you get caught with either, you WILL be turned back!) You can bypass the heavily travelled portion of I-5 through Seattle by taking I-405 northbound but it can be a nightmare as well.

Good luck

...VTX-Al

Additional thoughts....

Research what it costs to park at your hotel... may be cheaper to lose the rental and $10 cab the final stretch to the cruise terminal. Depending on where you want to go in Vancouver.... hop on and free shuttles may see the rental left behind.

Suburb hotels will be cheaper and may offer free parking for the rental.

Alamo, Enterprise, and National are preferred as they have a rental office at the cruise terminal. Hertz is 3 blocks away.

There's also the $50-$60 Quick Shuttle from Seatac into Vancouver.

Sent from my Passport using Forums mobile app

...... and, although your original post doesn't say so, I am assuming that you are cruising out of Vancouver round trip to somewhere. If so , you might want to consider one of the cruise/stay/park packages that are available at some of the Vancouver hotels. Here is an example of one that we used for our Vancouver/Hawaii r/t in spring of 2015: Coast Hotel, downtown Vancouver $170.00 CDN, includes one night hotel pre or post cruise, $25.00 dinner voucher, one-way taxi to cruise terminal and (in our case) 15 night parking in underground secured hotel parking. Great deal !

...VTX-Al

Budget for 5-60 minutes to cross the border, and plan to download the WSDOT app so you can view border wait times on your smartphone during the drive north. There are four options: two are reasonable options, and two are a modest or more detour, so if the most common option (Peace Arch, farthest west of the four) is slammed, you could go east as desired.

Also, every route into Vancouver will just turn into a traffic mess. You can come in from the south or come in from the east: either will just get slower and slower.

Remember to tell the car rental agency you are taking the car into Canada. The rental car agency will also bring up the issue of insurance coverage when you rent the car. Whether you use the agency's insurance or you rely on your own insurance, the agency will likely issue you a Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card.

Is the drive nice and would make for a good day of traveling?

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it a "nice drive". It's mostly I-5 freeway, a LOT of traffic (some of it white-knuckled, if you know what I mean!), and the potential border wait is unpredictable and a drag. Vancouver city itself is beautiful, but once you get there, more of the same traffic and headaches, IMO.

Looking forward to cruising out of Vancouver just not paying to fly there!

Yes, but as stated, do your research. Parking at downtown hotels is usually at least $35.00 per night, and there may be a drop charge to leave the car in Vancouver, both of which may negate any savings you thought you were getting.

No one has yet mentioned the train; Amtrak offers service from Seattle to Vancouver. It's a lovely trip, hassle-free as you clear customs when you disembark the train in Vancouver.

Also need to think about gas stations and prices....

• there is NO gas stations near the cruise terminal. Best choice to fill up is Esso at Broadway & Hemlock on the way to downtown.
  • Vancouver has a fuel surcharge.... best price is in Bellingham's Costco before topping off in Vancouver before vehicle dropoff. Big factor if you are driving a luggage friendly minivan or SUV. Check GasBuddy for the latest prices.

• 3 weeks later...

My suggestion is forget the driving instead use the QuickShuttle airporter service Seattle airport to a Vancouver hotel or the cruise ship terminal ... Brings you direct from SEATAC airport to Vancouver with 6 scheduled runs per day... very comfortable bus at a reasonable price ... check them out http://www.quickshuttle.com

We often use them when flying out of SEA...

Another very nice option is to use the Amtrak train Seattle to Vancouver lovely trip along the coast but not as convenient as only 2 trains daily early morning and late afternoon - cheaper than the bus... however you have to get from the airport to downtown Seattle to the train station a long taxi ride or use Seattle's new Light Rapid Transit line....

Hope this helps