Virgin Australia

4774Papa

We are planning two cruises our of Sydney and have the option of flying from LA to Australia on Delta or Virgin Australia.

We can use miles and there is no difference in the miles we need to pay.

Both airlines appear to use 777-200 or 777-300.

Any thoughts on which airline would be better?

On a minor issue. We sometimes pick seats at the far rear of a 777, where the three seat configuration on the side goes down to two with a little extra space. Only negative is that the seats are near the rear galley and toilets.

This is not a problem for me, since I am a senior and need to be close to a toilet, especially after drinking a couple of glasses of wine.

Any thoughts about those seats?

We flew home with Qantas from LA and we had those seats. I would not pick those seats again as there is a gap between the window seat and window and therefore you cannot lean against the window to sleep. I would also fly Virgin over Delta.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I may be wrong but in our experience they are the same flight code shared.

Fly either one but you will be on the same plane

It only takes a quick look at the schedules to see that both Delta and Virgin Australia operate flights between Los Angeles and Sydney, so you can choose a Delta aircraft or a Virgin Australia aircraft.

It only takes a quick look at the schedules to see that both Delta and Virgin Australia operate flights between Los Angeles and Sydney, so you can choose a Delta aircraft or a Virgin Australia aircraft.

Globalizer, yes, I saw that and the cost in $$$ or miles is the same. We did fly on Virgin Australia in 2013 from Sydney to Perth and the service was excellent. Also, the seats seemed to recline a lot more.

We fly Delta a lot because of FF miles (also we live in Georgia), but Virgin Australia is in the same FF network. My Son flew on Virgin to Australia a few years ago and said he though it was slightly better than Delta.

One thing that I don't like on long flights is the three seat configuration on the 777's. Wife likes the window and I like the aisle, so we often have another person in the middle seat. On one flight we had one of those seats in the rear of the aircraft near the galley with only two seats side by side. Also, there was more space around those seats. Delta doesn't usually open up those seats for online booking, but perhaps Virgin will. I think we will go with Virgin.

I told you I may be wrong:D

However we have flown on Delta /Virgin flights which are the same flight.

Regardless have a good holiday:)

However we have flown on Delta /Virgin flights which are the same flight.
The way it works is this.

Delta operates DL41 from Los Angeles to Sydney every day. The flight also carries a Virgin Australia flight number of VA6551, under which VA can sell seats on that aircraft. But it is a Delta flight on a Delta aircraft.

Virgin Australia operates VA2 from Los Angeles to Sydney every day. The flight also carries a Delta flight number of DL6798, under which DL can sell seats on that aircraft. But it is a Virgin Australia flight on a Virgin Australia aircraft.

Delta operates DL41 from Los Angeles to Sydney every day. The flight also carries a Virgin Australia flight number of VA6551, under which VA can sell seats on that aircraft. But it is a Delta flight on a Delta aircraft.

Virgin Australia operates VA2 from Los Angeles to Sydney every day. The flight also carries a Delta flight number of DL6798, under which DL can sell seats on that aircraft. But it is a Virgin Australia flight on a Virgin Australia aircraft.

Well there you go.

I stand corrected.

BTW which one do you recommend?

Edited by wally_bushy

Globaliser,

Sorry that I didn't acknowledge what you said about code sharing. I had found what you posted later here that each airline has flights to Australia. I found VA flights to Brisbane as well as Sydney.

We plan to fly into Melbourne for about five days prior to going back to Sydney for our first cruise. I noticed on Seat Guru that VA actually has 777's with the two seat configuration on the side. I have never seen that in a 777 before.

We plan to fly into Melbourne for about five days prior to going back to Sydney for our first cruise. I noticed on Seat Guru that VA actually has 777's with the two seat configuration on the side. I have never seen that in a 777 before.

The Virgin planes are standard 3 seats on the side, aside from isolated seats, mostly at the rear as per your experience in your initial post. Unless you're considering premium economy?

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to look at Premium Economy on Virgin Australia. It is a cozy cabin of 24 seats in a 2-4-2 pattern. The seat pitch is 41 inches. It is no where near the cost of Upper Class but the food is upgraded and you are just a step away from the bathrooms. :)