Shopping in Puerto Vallarta

princessme

Does anyone know if Walmart and the mall is within walking distance from the ship?. We are on Ruby Princess. We plan on taking the bus to the Malecon. My cousin and I were gonna go shopping later without her boyfriend

I hope someone ( street vendor) are making fresh Churros

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never understood why cruisers, especially from the USA, want to spend their port day at Walmart or Sam's. Of course they could expand their horizons and go a mile to a Costco...or another Walmart Superstore. On the other hand, why not save your money, not cruise, and just go to a Walmart near home. I wonder how many cruisers, when asked what they did on their cruise vacation, say......"I went to Walmart!"

Hank

I have no intentions of spending my port day at Walmart. Walmart in PV has a lot of people from the cruise lines there. It's called I can buy Diet Pepsi , medications, a sign for your head that says" I'm a idiot".

Why are you so rude?. You must have a very unhappy life to write something like that. I feel sorry for you.

absolutely nothing wrong with visiting the Walmart if you want. I've stocked up on tequila several visits courtesy of your neighborhood Walmart (in Mazatlan). If you go to Walmart in PV be careful crossing the road; it's about 62 lanes of traffic to cross ;). There's also a Soriano grocery store a few blocks from the port (same side of the street as the port). It's a fun place to visit, they also sell trinkets there. In the Walmart parking lot there is an indoor mall. Not sure what all they have there but it is a mall. The exchange rate is crazy right now (+20:1) so you might find some good deals in Walmart.

As far as churros, I've read there is a guy frying churro somewhere near the church in old town, but only in the evening. I've never seen any tho in 8 or 10 visits to PV, go figure. I have bought fresh made churros at la bufadora near Ensenada. Fresh and hot, layered with sugar and cinnamon, a little chunk of heaven right there.

Princessme, when you're docked in PV walk up on the lido deck and you'll see the Walmart across the road and a Sams club right next door. And if you look south you should see the Soriano sign a few blocks away. The closest bus stop is on the main road right outside the port, you don't need to cross the street. Pemex station across the street has taxis lined up if you need one. We usually take the bus into town and grab a taxi back (ask and they will turn the AC on).

If you use google maps you can zoom in on the port area and get an idea of the layout.

And if you find some churros, grab an extra bag.

I thinking the same thing.....why people respond to a post in such a rude manner is beyond me. I know many cruisers that make a quick stop at Walmart to grab a few things. Obviously, people aren't going to Walmart as a scenic tour. It's just an easy quick place to grab a few things.

As another cruiser posted....be very careful crossing the hwy to Walmart. There are many lanes of traffic going in various directions. There is usually an officer at the crosswalk area.

Edited by rstunger

That sounds great. I went to Mexico on a missions trip with my church last year and we had fresh churros. Yes, a piece of heaven when they are fresh and hot. We plan on taking the bus to the Malecon. We have been to PV before but did the Pirate ship excursion. This time we are exploring more. Thanks for all the great information.

We plan on taking the bus to the Malecon.
We prefer a yellow cab outside the cruise terminal, $5 for up to 4, and you get there in 15 min. with a breeze flowing in the heat. At $1 pp for the HOT long LONG bus ride, not so fun for us.

btw... we also visit walmart... gotta stock up on something, great visuals and prices on local quality merchandise, and use a credit card to do it, and when you are bargaining for the cab back... ya say walmart... and ya get to the pier cheaper

Bobnsofi, are you suggesting the use of a credit card because of not wanting to hassle with pesos as change? We usually use a credit card that doesn't charge us for the exchange rate. We only use cash for small purchases from vendors.

We prefer a yellow cab outside the cruise terminal, $5 for up to 4, and you get there in 15 min. with a breeze flowing in the heat. At $1 pp for the HOT long LONG bus ride, not so fun for us.

btw... we also visit walmart... gotta stock up on something, great visuals and prices on local quality merchandise, and use a credit card to do it, and when you are bargaining for the cab back... ya say walmart... and ya get to the pier cheaper

We also take the yellow cab for $5. Didn't know about saying Walmart to get to the pier cheaper! I will do that in March for sure. Thanks so much!

yellow cabs (at the Pemex station) charge per trip. The light beige taxis INSIDE the port area charge per person. Last time I Was there the yellow cabs were $6-8 to the Malecon (I think the beige cabs were like $4-5pp). With the current exchange rate for pesos I'm also curios what the current fare is.

Any way you go, transportation in PV is pretty cheap.

yellow cabs (at the Pemex station) charge per trip. The light beige taxis INSIDE the port area charge per person. Last time I Was there the yellow cabs were $6-8 to the Malecon (I think the beige cabs were like $4-5pp). With the current exchange rate for pesos I'm also curios what the current fare is.

Any way you go, transportation in PV is pretty cheap.

The exchange rate is terrific (we got 21:1 yesterday out of an ATM). Taxi fares are based on Pesos (this is Mexico) and the fares have not increased in recent days/weeks. However, when a cruiser tries to pay in US Dollars..they are at the total mercy of the taxi driver as to when kind of exchange rate he/she will use to determine the fare. One recent development, in the past week, is that the Mexican government has removed price controls from gasoline. Accordingly, the gas prices, throughout Mexico) have quickly shot up by as much as 30% and that taxi drivers are quite angry (and depressed). Personally, we have been giving our taxi drivers a small premium over the regular fares as we will not miss the extra 20-30 Pesos we give the drivers and we like to support the local entrepreneurs.

Hank

Make sure when you tell the taxi you want to go to Walmart that you mention that you want to go to the Walmart near the Pier or near the Galeria shopping centre. You don't want to end up at the other Walmart that is not too close to the ship.:eek:

Edited by mexico8

The bus costs about 50 cents each. There are sometimes nice breezes on the bus as well.