Potential Silversea "newbies"

Mudhen

We're considering either the SS Cloud or the SS Spirit for a May cruise. One in the Med, the other Northern Europe. I'm concerned about the condition of both ships, as it seems awhile (at least from what I've found so far) since either ship has had a refit. I'm also concerned about the general formality of the Silversea line. We've cruised Regent and Crystal extensively and have enjoyed both. Can anyone give us a general idea of the ambiance of Silversea? Thanks to any and all who respond.

We're considering either the SS Cloud or the SS Spirit for a May cruise. One in the Med, the other Northern Europe. I'm concerned about the condition of both ships, as it seems awhile (at least from what I've found so far) since either ship has had a refit. I'm also concerned about the general formality of the Silversea line. We've cruised Regent and Crystal extensively and have enjoyed both. Can anyone give us a general idea of the ambiance of Silversea? Thanks to any and all who respond.
We just got off the Spirit a couple of weeks ago. While the case goods do need to be replaced, those items had no bearing on the excellent voyage we experienced as a family of three. The service, food & beverage, and activities were all first rate.

Our last voyage before this was on the Cloud and she is a little gem in the fleet. There is just something very special due to the intimacy of the vessel.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stumblefoot

I think you will have a blast. We were on the Silver Wind for the Baltic back in 2008 (only a few months before it was refurbed) and it was fantastic.

While I don't remember being in awe over the ship, I was in awe over the service and overall experience. This is one of the main reasons we will be doing the Mediterranean for our 25th anniversary in August.

Sorry I disagree with all.Being on a ship years ago does not qualify.We have taken 4 SS trips and the last one was not up to standards. Crew as usual was great but the Wind was in sorry condition.We had read about all the negative reviews but choose to ignore because of past experience.

We were on the Wind in Aug/Sept.Our side of the ship had no air conditioning the other side was freezing.The pool was closed for 3 days.Broken pump.The laundry if you used it was not functioning except for 1 machine for 11 days.Was told this had been an issue for months.

They used cabins for storage so if you were next to one(we were) it was noisy day and night.I am sorry it has taken me almost 5 months to report this but I would hate for a newbie to expect a five star cruise.Look at Seaborne.I see the hate mail coming but this is all true.

I think you will have a blast. While I don't remember being in awe over the ship, I was in awe over the service and overall experience. This is one of the main reasons we will be doing the Mediterranean for our 25th anniversary in August.

Our last voyage before this was on the Cloud and she is a little gem in the fleet. There is just something very special due to the intimacy of the vessel. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either ship.

Mudhen: Potential Silversea "newbies". We're considering either the SS Cloud or the SS Spirit for a May cruise. One in the Med, the other Northern Europe.

Appreciate this good question/interest. From less than a year ago, the below live/blog gives lots of details and visuals from our ten days on the Silver Cloud as we sailed along the South Africa coast in February 2016. We have also done three other cruises on the Silver Cloud in recent years. As noted by others and in my reviews, everything is not "perfectly perfect" on a ship of this age, but things worked very well for us and the there are major super pluses with the staff, this ship's handy size, etc. Bottom-Line: We did not suffer, did very well and used this ship to see some great, exciting parts of the world. Don't worry about things being too stuffy and/or formal. We are Midwesterners and we felt "comfortable" in dealing with the other passengers, staff, etc.

Whether for the Med or northern Europe, both areas tend to be fairly "port-intensive". That means that the ship is important, but not the only and/or major need. It's about the interesting, historic, ports that you will be visiting in either the Med or Baltics. We have sailed much in these areas for Europe. What other questions do you have on the Silver Cloud or for these ports of Europe? If sailing in May, the Med will have, on average better weather. Need info on the Baltics May weather averages?

In mid-June, we will be done a Silver Spirit, Lisbon to Rouen, sailing. I will do a full report on that ship, its ports, etc. BUT, that does not answer your question as you are planning your May options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 27,277 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

I believe we met on Crystal years ago. For the past 4 years, I've cruised on Silversea. There is an elegance that comes with a more boutique product. Dress code is comparable but you see less gowns now days and more cocktail dresses and men in dark suits. I've never sailed on the Wind but had been on the Cloud. I prefer a slightly larger vessel. The Whisper and Spirit are both in great condition. The Shadow is currently in dry dock (as is the Cloud as it is being brought back out as an expedition vessel). Looking forward to the Muse entering the market. The cabin size is comparable to Regent in the standard accommodations. We have 3 weeks coming up on Spirit.

Having done just one Regent cruise, we really liked that line and have 2 more bookings with them. Our one and only Seabourn experience was less then stellar and at the time, we had no interest to book another with them.

The only way you truly will know if a line meets your expectations is to give it a try. I would go on the Spirit as it is a newer/larger ship.

mudhen: IMO, we would never - ever go on the Cloud (glad to hear that it is becoming an expedition ship as it doesn't compare favorably to any ship on a luxury cruise line) - much too dated! While we don't love the Spirit, it is okay - just cheaply done but the layout isn't bad. So, between the two, my choice is obvious!

Think that you should give Silversea a try. The service matches Regent's. And, IMO, their lunch is better than Regent - their main dining room doesn't quite match up to Regent and La Terrazza (sp.?) is quite nice. We did not feel that Le Champagne was worth the $$$ and did not try the Japanese dining venue that is on the Spirit.

We have sailed Silversea three times (once on the Spirit, Shadow and Whisper -- absolutely love the Whisper and Shadow). It is definitely enjoyable (despite the dress code which is a bit of a pain).

Let us know which itinerary you choose:D

Edited by Travelcat2

Sorry I disagree with all.Being on a ship years ago does not qualify.We have taken 4 SS trips and the last one was not up to standards. Crew as usual was great but the Wind was in sorry condition.We had read about all the negative reviews but choose to ignore because of past experience.

We were on the Wind in Aug/Sept.Our side of the ship had no air conditioning the other side was freezing.The pool was closed for 3 days.Broken pump.The laundry if you used it was not functioning except for 1 machine for 11 days.Was told this had been an issue for months.

They used cabins for storage so if you were next to one(we were) it was noisy day and night.I am sorry it has taken me almost 5 months to report this but I would hate for a newbie to expect a five star cruise.Look at Seaborne.I see the hate mail coming but this is all true.

With all due respect, the OP asked about the Spirit & Cloud. Not sure how the Wind applies in this case.

We have sailed on the Wind three times and twice on the Spirt and always had an excellent time! Yes the decor may be a little dated but the overall experience was great. We are currently booked for the first time on the Cloud in June (London to Oslo) and take many of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Unfortunately I have to agree with the statement about the laundry room on the Wind - it needs an upgrade! I definitely recommend giving Silverseas a try.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mudhen, we have sailed about 100 days on the Spirit and 30 days on the Cloud (London to London--Iceland, Dublin, et. al--our second fav itinerary). Cloud is older and the gym is awful--why we won't sail on the Cloud again--maybe as an expedition ship as they will move the Clound's gym's location during the refurb. The spirit sails wonderfully and provides a variety of lunch options. Yes, Silversea is formal--depending on the length of your cruise you may have 1-3 formal nites. Here is Silversea's guidance on formal wear (formal wear required in Main Dining Room and Le Champagne). What ever Silversea cruise you choose--have fun.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual

all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Taking this off topic for a sec.... If you are able to dress informal outside of the MDR on formal nights..... I wonder how that pans out on the Muse given it has no MDR!!!

Not been on the Spirit, but loved both the Wind and the Cloud. I prefer the Wind slightly if I had to chose, purely for better use of space on the top deck where the gym is. I certainly wouldn't disagree other luxury lines might beat SS in some areas (because I dont know!!), but I definitely would say you should give them a go.

Edited by les37b

Was this before (or after) the refurb?

Was this before (or after) the refurb?

It was just before.I am not talking about minor decorating.Wore carpets etc do not bother me.The issues we had were major and had been going on for quite a while.The air conditioning problem had been reported on a review many months prior.I called my agent and had her check.They reported back that no issues with the air.Sorry but that was a lie.We were fortunate to get the only fan on the ship.This was Aug it was hot.The other side people were were freezing.The crew when asked said this had been going on for a long time.The pool being closed for 3 days.Another on going issue.Laundry room 1 out of 3 washers worked.Another long time problem.It was sad watching people sitting in the hall waiting their turn to use the machine.It was their choice to sit there but should not have been necessary.

Also using a cabin for storage is not acceptable.It is only when my husband complained about the noise day and night that they said what was going on.Breakfast trays,luggage,Butlers hangout.We have traveled SS before we know what it was like and this time was so different.We feel that SS is dropping the ball. The Crew were wonderful as usual. We wrote to SS when we returned and and they did apologize but that does not help .We had been on record for asking about the air months before.They did not dispute the issue.

Duct Tape has been on the Wind the entire month so far sailing around the Caribbean. Maybe she'll chime in here and put you at ease for your upcoming voyage.

well any info is always appreciated but we are not really too worried--it has been our experience that things seem to work out when you are patient-- after all, a bad cruise is better than a good day on shore, is it not?

OK Thanks-- we have a Caribbean cruise on the wind coming up so appreciate the heads up

If you read the posts made on the Wind t/a and subsequent Caribbean voyage you will see that there was still major air con problems in warm waters after the refurb. They did appear to be fixed by early Dec when we got off though.

Stumblefoot, tracking me are you?! [emoji6][emoji568]I know I have been remiss about posting but it will get done over the next 2 weeks. We have been on the larger ships for a few years. I forgot how much I loved the Wind, warm, cozy and great crew. We have already booked the holidays on the Wind this year. What is not to like? OK, the bathrooms are small. Who goes on a cruise because of the bathrooms?! If this ship is not satisfactory, you do not like to cruise! P.S. I do not like the decor either. Would that send me to SB, Regent, Cunard or whomever? Nope. Please try it and form your own opinion! Bon Voyage!

Stumblefoot, tracking me are you?! [emoji6][emoji568]
Always and with great affection.

Like so many here, I sincerely appreciate the perspective you provide us all. Continue to enjoy your Wind voyages and the warmth of the Caribbean!

If you read the posts made on the Wind t/a and subsequent Caribbean voyage you will see that there was still major air con problems in warm waters after the refurb. They did appear to be fixed by early Dec when we got off though.

Fingers crossed.....

Stumblefoot, tracking me are you?! [emoji6][emoji568]I know I have been remiss about posting but it will get done over the next 2 weeks. We have been on the larger ships for a few years. I forgot how much I loved the Wind, warm, cozy and great crew. We have already booked the holidays on the Wind this year. What is not to like? OK, the bathrooms are small. Who goes on a cruise because of the bathrooms?! If this ship is not satisfactory, you do not like to cruise! P.S. I do not like the decor either. Would that send me to SB, Regent, Cunard or whomever? Nope. Please try it and form your own opinion! Bon Voyage!

Appreciate the excellent perceptions and balance outlined by duct tape. While our Silversea experiences have only been from four cruises on the Silver Cloud, I would agree that certain details on these older ship are not exactly my personal design/style first choices. But, however, we look at the over-all package, including the staff, fellow passengers, value, ports visited, etc., etc. We have also done Silversea, Crystal and Celebrity previously. They can and have all work well for our needs and interests. In our view, the least desirable situation is not being able to enjoy traveling on these varied ships, meeting the various people and staff, enjoying the many great locations, etc.

Look forward to sampling the Silver Spirit for the first time in June going from Lisbon to Rouen. Keep up the great sharing!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,613 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

We do love to cruise.We have sailed on the Wind twice and the Cloud once before so the small ships are much to our liking.This was not the same ship.I am happy that they have fixed the problems .The ship was in a sorry state and SS should have dry docked much sooner.We always try and have a good time .The main reason to travel,but when it is hot outside and your cabin is hot it is difficult to be comfortable.When people are banging the door next to you at all times that is not acceptable.That was SS decision to use that cabin for storage. I am not going to discourage anyone for sailing with SS but I personally am not sure if we will. CC is for information I gave our experience. I am happy when others have not experienced the issues we had.I have only stated the truth people can make up their own minds about sailing.

Happy Sailing.

• 1 month later...

I am a Silverseas newbie and looking forward to it. I will be cruising on The Spirit from Barcelona to Rome in August:D

After 15 years of sailing Mass Market, this should be an awesome experience:D...but I have done 1 River cruise out

of Amsterdam...that was only about 150 passengers:ship:;)

Trying to read up on Silverseas.......any input would be great:D