Summit

Sandi07054

We've done this cruise, the last sailing of the season, for the past three years. It's a great cruise. Three days in port. WE always go into town the second day. The first and last day in port, we just thoroughly enjoy the ship.

Edited by Fish Lover

Hi

Thank you all for your positive feedback. Here's the thing. My brother and our spouses want to leave out of NJ. Only 2 cruises in August to Bermuda are Summit for 7 days and Royal for 5 days. We were on Liberty of the Seas last year and loved it. We understand Summit is older and smaller. For me I would just go on Summit due to the 7 days and the free drink plan is a no brainer. My sister-in-law is on the fence so I wanted to show her that there is plenty to do on the Summit as far as entertainment etc.

Thank you

I was on Summit to Bermuda last July and have booked again to go in June. I was a little concerned as well because it is a smaller, older ship. It was the best cruise out of the seven I have been on. We were never bored, and the ship never felt crowded. I had originally booked NCL Breakaway out of New York, but after reading the reviews I switched, I was very glad I did.

We will be going to Bermuda on the Summit for the third time this summer.

The entertainment of the Liberty might be a bit superior to what is offered on the Summit. The Summit has the typical cruise shows...singer, magician, juggler type of shows. They are entertaining but not that Wow that Royal offers.

That said...we definitely prefer a 7 day vacation over a 5 day vacation. The days in port you can skip the ship entertainment and enjoy the festivities in Bermuda. On Wednesday evenings the Harbor Night Street Festival held in Hamilton is well worth a visit. On the 5 day itinerary you just about have 24 hours in port and would not be there for a Wed evening. While docked you can leave/return to the ship at any time.

Edited by JMG

Awful. Food is disgusting. I got sick. I would liken the entertainment to a high school musical without any sets of costume changes. Just people singing. The most unorganized disembark ever !! Took over an hour. Crew was great tho! Room had one outlet and it was not in the bathroom. Bed was good tho.

Awful. Food is disgusting. I got sick. I would liken the entertainment to a high school musical without any sets of costume changes. Just people singing. The most unorganized disembark ever !! Took over an hour. Crew was great tho! Room had one outlet and it was not in the bathroom. Bed was good tho.

Ahh lol ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Summit to Bermuda two Memorial Days in a row (2015 and 2016). The schedules were not the same sailing to sailing--the Cruise Director, Activities Manager, and Activities Host were all different and that influences the schedule of activities. For comparison, we also did the 7-day Bermuda on the Grandeur of the Seas in 2014.

Which specific types of activities you enjoyed on Liberty are you most concerned about finding on the Summit?

We are cruising on Summit in May. I will do a review when I get back to let you know if every single food item in every single dining venue is still disgusting. Then again certain items just may not appeal to my personal taste. Hopefully it will have improved before then. As for the shows, they sound like what we saw on NCL and HAL, so we're not expecting Broadway quality. We much prefer the live music in the lounges in the evening anyway. Cheers!

Edited by galensgrl

I am on one of the upcoming charter cruises on Summit. First time on this ship.

Wassup with the food? Is it THAT bad? I have dietary issues also... gluten free, allergy to strawberries, no red meat or pork.

Tks for any info.

Admittedly, things can and do sometimes change precipitiously, but as of last May, I thought the food was fine. I traveled with a companion with a food allergy and they were attentive and accommodating. We asked to have the same serving team each night (even though we had my time dining) so that we didn't have to re-explain her constraints.

The MDR menu labels items that are vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. There are gluten-free options at the coffee bar most days (they're macaroons, so if you don't like coconut, you'd be out of luck there).

They serve many fish options and you can also always get chicken.

let me say, the crew and captain were awesome, so sweet, so genuine. if you need something particular, just ask the crew and i am sure they will be more than happy to provide it to you! :)

other positives were the premium drink package. it is awesome!! vitamin water, red bulls, Evian water in giant bottles(although they ran out of big bottles by day 4), tons of beers and premium spirits! order up cause there is never a charge. bartenders are friendly and keep em coming!

the clubs are beautiful but we did not have any luck with the music except for motown night. that was fun. they have a "silent disco" which to me was weird. you wear headphones to hear the music. anyway, we tried it and took a pass but others' enjoyed it. there was some live music here and there and it was ok but honestly, would have rather heard the original versions by a DJ because it just ends up sounding like will Ferrell's SNL skits of "Marty & Bobbi Culp", classically trained singers! lol. seriously.

the bed was comfortable and so was the room. it had no weird smells and was kept very clean by our steward who quickly knew our name.

all 3 ports were awesome!

getting on and off at the ports was easy and quick. cant say that about the disembark. there is no "express" disembark. they say there is, but there is not! the entire ship gets off 2 elevators at a time! I did not stutter!!

oh, and be packed and out of the room at 7am. YES 7 AM! that sucked!

there is very little entertainment. 2 bingo games in 5 days, one comedian and no comedy club. One show with 2 times every night consisting of singing. no costumes, no sets, nothing exceptional just plain and frankly boring. nothing against the singers, just boring IMO.

here are specifics on the food. remember, this is our opinion but after speaking with many a fellow mates on the ship, we were not alone!

breakfast is breakfast. hard to screw that up but not one item i ate was piping hot. items were cold or room temp. bread was stale and it got worse as the week went on. in contrast, the coffee which was mcdonald's hot, was so acidic, i visited the restroom 3 times in 1 hour that day. drank tea after that. they do have a cappuccino bar. i did not try that.

lunch and dinner: hamburgers, turkey or veggie burgers by the pool or a buffet. the lunch and dinner buffet food is exactly the same every day. mediocre on day one and as the week went by, we noticed the food at the buffet tasted more and more like the food served days ago, because it was. they must never throw anything out. they just keep on adding to it. i had a stomach ache on day 4 and full blown by 5. i was not alone. you had to hold your nose as you walked through our hall.

so was it something i ate or a bug? we will never know but i think it was something i ate.

there is a homemade pizza place in the buffet at night. that was probably the freshest item we ever ate.

i saw "gluten free" at certain places on the buffet but i cant speak for the taste or quality.

ate twice in the big dining room.

servers are awesome. food is boring and mass produced. nothing we ate was ever "Delicious".

the desert tables were a joke. cake icing and the cake on every cake or cup cake had a stale crunch. cookies are cheap, mass produced and frankly not worth the calories. not one desert was "delicious".

Sounds as all you did was eat in the buffet? I was not a fan of the buffet on Celebrity the past 2 years. Food was simply not anything better than cafeteria, and not even a good cafeteria. Although, I never did venture to the grill in the back or have a meal during normal hours beyond embarkation lunch so perhaps I missed what was good.

That said, the dining rooms (both MDR and Blu) are really very good (breakfast and dinner, can't say that lunch on sea days was though). The burgers at the grill by the pool are terrific and the spa grill/cafe is also very good. The cafe Bacio is really a treat. Good food is most definitely to be found on the ship and not at just the up charge venues.

been on the Summit three times in the last 4 years. Only had one not so good meal in the MDR. If everyone thinks the buffet is gross, why continue going back night after night. A cruise is what you make it. If you think the food sucks on Celebrity, you may want to pay 5 to 10 times more and upgrade to one of the specialty lines, or just stop cruising.