Sea Sickness

Family4Cruisin

We are going on our 2nd cruise next month on the Getaway. Our 1st cruise was on the Sky a few years ago. I suffered with being sea sick 2 out of the 4 days despite using Motioneaze and prescription Meclizine. I am thinking of using the Scopolamine patch and trying the Sea Bands for this cruise. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what anyone has found that works for them to prevent sea sickness.

I used the patch on our first cruise and it was a fail for me. Everyone is different. My food tasted like medicine and I still got sea sick. I ended up using the Meclizine and it seemed to do the job. I plan on using the Sea Bands on our next cruise. Please post how they work for you.

Start taking the non drowsy Meclizine the day before you board the ship.

Don't wait until you start to feel queasy, by then it's too late.

I get motion sick on every cruise, unless, I start the Meclizine or Dramamine a day early. As mentioned above, talk with your Dr.

Everyone is different, so you'll just need to see what works for you. Dh needed both the patch and seabands - the patch alone didn't work. He's always been very susceptible to motion sickness, so he started with the patch, and put it on the day before we boarded. I used Bonine twice, and was otherwise fine.

Looks like everyone is different. I'm very prone to motion sickness and the patch did the trick without any drowsiness. Bonine worked for me ages ago, but it still causes some drowsiness. As suggested by others, talk to your doctor about your best options.

For some people, especially if you take too much sea sick meds, the meds not the movement of the ship make you sick.

Do speak to your doctor.

More is not always better. I like the bands because they don't add chemicals.

I think I can speak from experience. On our Hawaii cruise I got dehydrated and ended up in the medical center for 2 1/2 hrs. SO now I use Bonine and I start 2 days before my trip(pharmacist recommended) and it works for me. We were on a Can/NE cruise and encountered Hurricane Sandy!! I did not get seasick thank goodness!! I guess you have to try and see what works for you.

Carol

Following this thread because I am going on my first cruise in 3 weeks and have no idea whether or not I will be sea sick as I've never really been on any type of boat (the only thing I can remember is being on a ferry that you drove onto when I was 10 or 11). I don't get motion sickness in a car, but I can't ride any type of ride that goes in circles (swings, merry go round, etc.) because they make me nauseous. Not sure if that could relate to getting sea sick on a boat but it is definitely something I'm concerned about. I have no idea what medicines to bring just in case. I'm thinking the sea band and Dramamine. I don't know if it makes sense for me to go to the doctor for a prescription if I don't even know if I will get sea sick. Also don't want to take anything that will make me sleepy ..

We are going on our 2nd cruise next month on the Getaway. Our 1st cruise was on the Sky a few years ago. I suffered with being sea sick 2 out of the 4 days despite using Motioneaze and prescription Meclizine. I am thinking of using the Scopolamine patch and trying the Sea Bands for this cruise. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what anyone has found that works for them to prevent sea sickness.

After our first cruise on the Disney Magic and it had the misfortune of following Hurricane Dan, my husband did not fair well.

Since then we consulted our family doctor and he prescribed the Scop. patches. And have used them on our last 5 cruises.

For us they work and we usually wear them for 2-4 days.

They come with some drawbacks.

Light sensitivity

Dry mouth--but that makes you drink more water which is good.

Consult your doctor to see what works best for you, and CC members will share what works best for them, like I just did.

Safe travels

• 2 weeks later...

I love the scopolomine patches! They got me through a our first cruise, and I have terrible motion sickness and vertigo. Not a complaint at all while I was wearing the patch. Many others onboard were wearing them as well!

Following this thread because I am going on my first cruise in 3 weeks and have no idea whether or not I will be sea sick as I've never really been on any type of boat (the only thing I can remember is being on a ferry that you drove onto when I was 10 or 11). I don't get motion sickness in a car, but I can't ride any type of ride that goes in circles (swings, merry go round, etc.) because they make me nauseous. Not sure if that could relate to getting sea sick on a boat but it is definitely something I'm concerned about. I have no idea what medicines to bring just in case. I'm thinking the sea band and Dramamine. I don't know if it makes sense for me to go to the doctor for a prescription if I don't even know if I will get sea sick. Also don't want to take anything that will make me sleepy ..

The Dramamine is probably going to make you sleepy. I suggest you get some Bonine to take with you. If you don't normally suffer from motion sickness there is a good chance you won't need anything.

We always take a supply of Bonine with us, but we have not taken any in years. Even rode out Hurricane Sandy and still didn't need it.....:p

I am one who cannot use the patch. I suffered with dry mouth so badly it felt as though my tongue was sticking to the roof of my mouth and it also effected my vision. Once was enough with me on those things!

As a relatively seasoned cruiser (13 so far), I still get motion sick (air, land, sea), so I make sure I take meclizine beginning the day before we leave home, and continue throughout the trip. I take it before going to bed, then if I have any sleep-inducing effects, it doesn't matter. I also carry candied ginger in case I start feeling a bit queasy; I chew one and it helps settle things for me.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I'm not prone to motion sickness but I did get sick on my first cruise. Now, I use Bonine and QueasyBeads. They're like Seabands but they're pretty and not as "in your face" about it. I felt a little self conscious with the seabands because they're so obvious. Everyone knows you're seasick. These just look like bracelets.

Following for my husband who get very sea sick and we will be going on our first cruise in June. He has an appointment with his doctor before we go, but extra suggestions always help, like the candied ginger, I think I will get some.

I love the patch! No side effects at all for me, and it lasts a week instead of the advertised three days. I would recommend talking to your doctor and seeing if the patch is an option for you. I would also recommend taking a variety of OTC medications along so if you are not using the patch, you can see what works for you.

As a relatively seasoned cruiser (13 so far), I still get motion sick (air, land, sea), so I make sure I take meclizine beginning the day before we leave home, and continue throughout the trip. I take it before going to bed, then if I have any sleep-inducing effects, it doesn't matter. I also carry candied ginger in case I start feeling a bit queasy; I chew one and it helps settle things for me.

Where can I find the candied ginger? Is it in the medicine aisle?

Thanks

Where can I find the candied ginger? Is it in the medicine aisle?

Thanks

You can get candied ginger in the bulk food section of the grocery stores or health food stores. I've found some health food stores carry different brands; Chimes brand comes in little pouches or tins and also come in different flavours - the mango are really nice, while the plain are the traditional ginger flavour. I like both, as they are individually packaged and easy to slip into a pocket or purse. Gin-gins is another brand I've used and enjoy them as well.

I too get sick sometimes. I asked about the patch before our first cruise and my doctor said they often had bad side effects that were as bad as sea sickness itself and the stuff stayed in your system for days. She gave me a pill that only lasts for a few hours so if I think it's getting bad I take one or two but most of the time I find if I keep a little alcohol in me I don't need the pills. I also am careful to avoid booking during mid hurricane season. Check out my travel blog for more http://www.atouristlife.com good luck

Two of my children and I use Nauzene chewables. I've tried the sea bands and no luck, but the last three cruises used Nauzene and had no sickness at all. I'm a lightweight when it comes to car and sea sickness, so I was impressed with an over the counter remedy. I think it may be a trial and error to see what your body accepts and rejects.

Two of my children and I use Nauzene chewables. I've tried the sea bands and no luck, but the last three cruises used Nauzene and had no sickness at all. I'm a lightweight when it comes to car and sea sickness, so I was impressed with an over the counter remedy. I think it may be a trial and error to see what your body accepts and rejects.

I've never heard of Nauzene. How did you hear about it & did you ask your child's Dr about taking it? I'm looking for a back for my kids just in case ginger doesn't do the trick. Thanks

I find it at CVS, Walgreens or target. Its ingredients are glucose(sugar),dextrose (sugar)and sodium citrate dehydrate (an antacid). Adult dose is 2-4 tablets, I only take one or two at most, kids were fine with one tablet. there's nothing strong in it that will affect them unless they are diabetic. It's a sweet anti nausea, antacid. It's really for upset stomachs, but I find it works miracles for motion sickness. There's no strong meds in it, of course ask your Dr. about it, if you have any reservations. Hubby and I are dentists, the sugar in it makes me cringe, but it works. Just brush teeth before bed!

I use ginger ...

original_CW.jpg?14%2F12%2F2012+8%3A40%3A59+AM

653_ginger.jpg

Travacalm-Natural-10-tablets_5.jpg