where to stay

We are cruising on Royal Carribean out of San Pedro, and are flying into Long Beach. I am having a hard time deciding on where to stay. Any suggestions?

Sorry not to have a positive suggestion, but the best I can offer is "don't stay on the Queen Mary." I remember standing on her deck, looking out at the lights across the bay and thinking "Wish I were there, anywhere."

And then I assured the latest security guard that "Yes, I really did have a key and yes, I was supposed to be onboard."

It was fun to SEE her, but not so great to spend the night and SMELL her.

Does anyone know how far Redondo Beach is from the San Pedro pier? We are flying in the day before and will have the entire day and someone reccommended the Portofino Hotel there but I am not certain of the distance to the pier and have recieved conflicting information. Thank you!!

Redondo Beach is about 18 miles from San Pedro. There are a couple of nice restaurants there but I wouldn't recommend it as a place to stay pre-cruise. Perhaps the best landmark at Redondo Beach is the giant power plant right on the beach.

If you could afford it (maybe $150/night) I would stay at the Hyatt in Long Beach. There is lots to do near there within walking distance and its just a short hop across the channel to the San Pedro pier.

Do a search on the Hyatt Long Beach and you'll get lots of information.

What is your budget like ?

I wanted to stay at the Hyatt or the Westin Long Beach but they both have been sold out for months. Any other suggestions? We are traveling for our 25th anniversary and so want to stay somewhere nice. I'd spend up to 200.00. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help!

I wanted to stay at the Hyatt or the Westin Long Beach but they both have been sold out for months. Any other suggestions? We are traveling for our 25th anniversary and so want to stay somewhere nice. I'd spend up to 200.00. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for your help!

I hate to break it to you, but "nice" and "under $200" in the LA area usually don't go together...

Those Long Beach hotels are probably about the best bargains...especially combined with "pre-" or "post-cruise"...You might also want to check out the Renaissance and the Coast in Long Beach...

Other than that, you are looking at places some distance from the port...

Redondo Beach actually isn't bad as it puts you between LAX and the port...

Santa Monica is my usual recommendation...but "nice" hotels in Santa Monica (Loew's, Shutters, Fairmont Miramar) will likely cost you a good deal more than $200 per night...and if it's just one-night pre-cruise, it means you're staying 30 miles from the pier...

How many nights are you staying and what do you want to do while here?

The Crown Plaza in San Pedro is popular. You can use the search function here to find a lot of information about hotels in the San Pedro area.

I just booked the Crown plaza on priceline for Saturday November 24. thats the saturday in Thanksgiving weekend for $72.00 plux tax I think the total was $92.00

My FIL lives in Gualala. Okay back to your question. We are cruising out of San Pedro and are flying into LB also (JetBlue!!!). We are staying in Long Beach for two nights because it just seems like there is so much more to do, see and eat there. We aren't getting a rental car, and I don't think we will need one. You can get some very good deals through Priceline in Long Beach, but I would probably stick with the four star so that you end up in a good area.

Archived