Doing the baths on your own in Virgin Gorda/Tortola

Teodor

P.S

According to ferry schedule we can take

1:30 pm Road Town Tortola The Valley Virgin Gorda 2:00 pm

and return with:

3:30 pm The Valley Virgin Gorda Road Town Tortola 4:00 pm

because the one at 5:00 would be too risky.

Is this ferry at 3:30 early enough for ship departure at 18:00, having in mind the parade on Virgin Gorda?

P.S

According to ferry schedule we can take

1:30 pm Road Town Tortola The Valley Virgin Gorda 2:00 pm

and return with:

3:30 pm The Valley Virgin Gorda Road Town Tortola 4:00 pm

because the one at 5:00 would be too risky.

Is this ferry at 3:30 early enough for ship departure at 18:00, having in mind the parade on Virgin Gorda?

2-3:30pm really isn't much time at all to do the Baths. We got there early (took the 9am ferry) and it was very crowded at that time. And as the day went on, it got more crowded. IT took us about 45 mins to get thru the Baths because some tours were coming the opposite way (that was silly) and we had to wait for them.

It takes about 10 mins taxi from the dock to the Baths too.

It's VERY easy to get the ferry but I would allow for at least 2 or 2 1/2 hours to experience the baths.

debbie

I am not so much worried about getting to Virgin Gorda, however, I am worried about a ride to and from the baths. Is that a worry of anyone else?

No because if you use Speedy's Ferry service, the taxi is included in your price!

debbie

There is a good thread about this, but from 2008.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747159

We will be there on 28th March, the day after Easter, the same case.

Any changes on ferries since 2008?

Maybe there will be a parade again.

Our schedule is arrival 12:00, departure:18:00

Is this doable by our own?

That's an old thread!

Smith's has a 12:30 to VG and a 4PM return giving you 2.5 hrs free on VG.

With your port times I'd recommend an island tour of Tortola.

I am not so much worried about getting to Virgin Gorda, however, I am worried about a ride to and from the baths. Is that a worry of anyone else?

No worries and no need to buy taxi tickets from Speedy's (you may want to take Smith's ferry and the fares are the same anyway). The taxis drop folks and pick them up every day and the driver will let you know what time to be ready for him/her.

Well, our ship leaves at 3. What do I do?

If you go to Virgin Gorda you'll want to take a return ferry that gets you back before the ship leaves :p Sorry, couldn't resist...

On Sunday that may be a 1PM departure from VG, other days it may be a 12:40 departure. These will get you back to Tortola at 1:30 and 1:10, respectively.

Otherwise an island tour on Tortola is a great idea.

Well, our ship leaves at 3. What do I do?

Does your ship offer any excursions to the Baths/Virgin Gorda? If so then definitely book with them because they won't leave you if you are on one of their excursions.

I heard people's names being paged at almost every port we were in after boarding time. That leads me to believe they didn't make it back to the ship on time :eek:

debbie

Does your ship offer any excursions to the Baths/Virgin Gorda? If so then definitely book with them because they won't leave you if you are on one of their excursions.

I heard people's names being paged at almost every port we were in after boarding time. That leads me to believe they didn't make it back to the ship on time :eek:

debbie

That's an assumption, and the ferries are very good at getting everyone back, no reason to be concerned there. On a very short port day, taking an excursion through the ship is an easy way to play it safe. Booking through the ship can provide a certain level of security, or at least perceived security. In reality the cruise line has zero responsibility in regards to excursions you book through the ship and you making it back to the ship, just to be clear. But yes it can certainly be a good idea if you are new to cruising or just aren't comfortable going on your own.

If you go to Virgin Gorda you'll want to take a return ferry that gets you back before the ship leaves :p Sorry, couldn't resist...

On Sunday that may be a 1PM departure from VG, other days it may be a 12:40 departure. These will get you back to Tortola at 1:30 and 1:10, respectively.

Otherwise an island tour on Tortola is a great idea.

Hey Blue, thanks for the tip. We will actually be in Tortola on Wednesday. The thing I was most concerned about is a cab/ride back from The baths to the ferry. Is that an issue?

No worries, the drivers will tell you what time you should be ready to return to the ferry (or Spanishtown if you want that) and they will be at the Top of the Baths to pick you up. They do this daily and are very good at not losing passengers ;)

No worries, the drivers will tell you what time you should be ready to return to the ferry (or Spanishtown if you want that) and they will be at the Top of the Baths to pick you up. They do this daily and are very good at not losing passengers ;)

Thanks Blue. I think I will do it on my own. Its about half the price and I have been there before. What is spanishtown like? Is it worth going there? If speedys ferry rate includes land transport, I will probably just go that route. 30 round trip is a good deal.

• 8 months later...
Spanishtown has some shops and is worth a visit, especially since it's a short walk from there to the ferry. Lunch at the Baths & Turtle is a good option as well.[/quote

Do you know how long it takes to walk from Spanishtown to the copper mine:confused: Thanks

No because if you use Speedy's Ferry service, the taxi is included in your price!

debbie

Speedy's offers a ferry package that includes roundtrip taxi from the ferry terminal on Virgin Gorda to the Baths, the price is the same if you pay on your own ($30pp for the ferry, $8pp for the RT taxi).

Last I knew they also offered a ferry package that included lunch and a drink at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown if you want that.

.[/quote

Do you know how long it takes to walk from Spanishtown to the copper mine:confused: Thanks

You'd have to taxi there. The drivers you meet at the ferry dock will return for you and drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe (by the mine) if you want to stop there for lunch and their signature drink, the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!" Taxi fares are pretty reasonable and they will return at a time you ask to drop you back at the ferry. I believe it's $4 - 5pp each way to get to different points in the Valley like the Top of the Baths and the mine. So for about $12pp you could taxi to the Top of the Baths, then to the Mineshaft/copper mine, then back to the ferry.

• 3 weeks later...

You'd have to taxi there. The drivers you meet at the ferry dock will return for you and drop you at the Mineshaft Cafe (by the mine) if you want to stop there for lunch and their signature drink, the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!" Taxi fares are pretty reasonable and they will return at a time you ask to drop you back at the ferry. I believe it's $4 - 5pp each way to get to different points in the Valley like the Top of the Baths and the mine. So for about $12pp you could taxi to the Top of the Baths, then to the Mineshaft/copper mine, then back to the ferry.

Thank you so much, we are planning on taking a taxi to spring bay to snorkel so I guess we could first take a taxi to Coppermine then catch another to Spring Bay, we have been to the Baths before so won't be going there this time.

Thank you so much, we are planning on taking a taxi to spring bay to snorkel so I guess we could first take a taxi to Coppermine then catch another to Spring Bay, we have been to the Baths before so won't be going there this time.

I spent a week on Virgin Gorda a few years ago in a rented villa. The next best snorkeling place after the Baths is Savannah Bay. Very pretty beach too but there's no facilities, pack some water and snacks. I wasn't all too thrilled with the Coppermine, maybe that's just me, but don't knock yourself out to see it.

I spent a week on Virgin Gorda a few years ago in a rented villa. The next best snorkeling place after the Baths is Savannah Bay. Very pretty beach too but there's no facilities, pack some water and snacks. I wasn't all too thrilled with the Coppermine, maybe that's just me, but don't knock yourself out to see it.

Well now you have me researching Savannah Bay, looks beautiful!

Do you think it would be a nice hike to Savannah Bay from the ferry dock with snorkel gear on our backs or should we take a taxi?

We walked from the last bus drop off on Dominica to Scotts head, (a must see when on Dominica) it was quite an experience, I weigh 110 so DH carries most of the load:D

Edited by coscab

Well now you have me researching Savannah Bay, looks beautiful!

Do you think it would be a nice hike to Savannah Bay from the ferry dock with snorkel gear on our backs or should we take a taxi?

We walked from the last bus drop off on Dominica to Scotts head, (a must see when on Dominica) it was quite an experience, I weigh 110 so DH carries most of the load:D

It would be a long, hot, and not too thrilling hike. You might want to consider renting a vehicle for the day from Speedy's, rental office not too far from ferry. They have small jeeps (Suzuki Jimmy) for about $50/day. The best hiking is Gorda Peak, amazing views. There's also a bbq place up there called Hog Heaven, also with amazing views. If bbq isn't your thing you can stop in for drinks then continue on to the Sugarcane restaurant at Nail Bay, its upscale, has fish and seafood.

Would love to rent a car but driving on the opposite side of the road freaks me out even though DH would be driving:eek:

Thanks for your help, I guess we will use taxi service, we are usually up for an adventure but getting a little old for that.