Gothenburg (Skandiahamnen) - is it even possible to use public transportation?

I note that the huge Regal Princess docks in the middle of nowhere at Skandiahamnen in Gothenburg. At least in theory, it seems relatively simple and cheap to walk to the "Arendal Allé" bus stop, take the twice hourly #32 bus to Eketragatan, and then the tram into the center of town. Not as convenient as the ship's shuttle but cheaper and fun for a bit of local flavor!

However, how is it possible to buy the transit fare? There is no place in the isolated pier area that sells tickets. You cannot buy a ticket from the driver on the bus. And even the Vasttrafik App requires a Swedish mobile number to register in order to buy tickets using the App. Without the ability to purchase the fare, I don't see how a cruise passenger can use this method of transportation.

Help? Desdichado62 - any thoughts?

According to Västtrafik website there is supposed to be a place called Dockside kiosk at Volvo where you can buy tickets.

7NuTZlJufb7GVWLTNf8rd3dJAOj4etO4nYyGgD51tC1xfg4naXhMjOE1Hh0hQKYiB-OH3HfUEiAGTkQ=w1886-h739

However, looking at streetview there doesn't seem to be anything that looks like a kiosk where the map indicates that it should be.

I'll see if I can find out more.

Edited by Desdichado62

According to Västtrafik website there is supposed to be a place called Dockside kiosk at Volvo where you can buy tickets.

7NuTZlJufb7GVWLTNf8rd3dJAOj4etO4nYyGgD51tC1xfg4naXhMjOE1Hh0hQKYiB-OH3HfUEiAGTkQ=w1886-h739

However, looking at streetview there doesn't seem to be anything that looks like a kiosk where the map indicates that it should be.

I'll see if I can find out more.

Thanks Desdichado62. Isn't the Volvo museum (and associated ticketing place) quite a distance away from Skandiahamnen?

Here is the official response I got from Vasttrafik's Facebook page:

"Unfortunately you won't be able to purchase a ticket without a Swedish mobile number if you can't go to a store that sells tickets. We are aware of this problem and I understand that this makes it difficult for you. Once you get to the city you can buy a Tourist card or a Pay-as-you-go card for the rest of your visit."
Edited by A.Emgee

Thanks Desdichado62. Isn't the Volvo museum (and associated ticketing place) quite a distance away from Skandiahamnen?

Here is the official response I got from Vasttrafik's Facebook page:

No it is just 100m from the berth to the museum.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/57.6940473,11.8200529/Volvo+Museum/@57.694973,11.8198036,282m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x0:0x72c167d8eea0246e!2m2!1d11.819155!2d57.694826

For your reply well they are aware of it but doesn't care (if they did they would have solved the problem).

Why would it be so hard to sell travelcards online and send them by mail?

When I visited London two years ago we bought out travelcards several weeks in advance.

Ok we did buy from a Swedish website (which worked well) but the official visitlondon website also offers oystercards or travelcards.

The berth by the Volvo museum is Arendal. I assumed that was different than Skandiahamnen as on the Gotenburg Port schedule of ships it is not noted as being equivalent. Or am I confused?

The berth by the Volvo museum is Arendal. I assumed that was different than Skandiahamnen as on the Gotenburg Port schedule of ships it is not noted as being equivalent. Or am I confused?

No they are different but berth 642 is a container ship berth and cruise ships normally dock at Arendal or Frihannen (the latter for those who are small enough to pass under Älvsborgsbron).

The entire Skandiahamnen is a cargo port area.

http://www.portofgothenburg.com/About-the-port/Navigate-in-the-port/#13

As you can see on this list the Aidaships docks at Arendal 751:

http://www.portofgothenburg.com/Line-selection/Arrivals-and-Departures/#!/arrival/2015-05-28/2015-09-28/Aida/0/

The Port of Gothenburg has two cruise terminals. One is in the centrally located Free Port and the other is at Arendal,

beside the Volvo Museum, for the very largest cruise ships that are too tall to sail under the Älvsborg Bridge.

http://www.portofgothenburg.com/News-desk/News-articles/New-cruise-terminal-at-Arendal/

Edited by Desdichado62

Here it the satellite map of berth 642: http://www.portofgothenburg.com/About-the-port/Navigate-in-the-port/#1. It looks like it is actually east of Arendal?

From Google Maps, the closest bus stop appears to be "Sydatlanten" - bus #32 picks up here on a street called Indiska Oceanen". I'm not sure if you can get to this bus stop from the cruise ship though. And not sure how to solve the problem with purchasing a bus ticket!

Edited by A.Emgee

I've checked with Gothenburg ports and the Princess ships will berth at Skandiahamnen since they are too large to berth at Arendal.

Västtrafik also confirmed that there is a ticket kiosk at this location: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iRCjlrrTG1QndZb1pBRlZYNzg/view?usp=sharing

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Arendals+Skans+20,+418+79+G%C3%B6teborg/57.6989227,11.815312/@57.6966658,11.8132311,1095m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x464f8c458b094d7f:0xccb7526a7fbe86ba!2m2!1d11.8203787!2d57.6943558!1m0!3e2

Ticket can not be bought on-board buses BUT there are ticket machines on-board the trams

Edited by Desdichado62

Sorry...but you might be better off using the ship provided shuttle (they will contract with a local company)...we did and found it very easy and at approx $9.00pp roundtrip was well worth it.

I've checked with Gothenburg ports and the Princess ships will berth at Skandiahamnen since they are too large to berth at Arendal.

Västtrafik also confirmed that there is a ticket kiosk at this location: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iRCjlrrTG1QndZb1pBRlZYNzg/view?usp=sharing

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/Arendals+Skans+20,+418+79+G%C3%B6teborg/57.6989227,11.815312/@57.6966658,11.8132311,1095m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x464f8c458b094d7f:0xccb7526a7fbe86ba!2m2!1d11.8203787!2d57.6943558!1m0!3e2

Ticket can not be bought on-board buses BUT there are ticket machines on-board the trams

But that map isn't where berth 642 is located (which is where Regal Princess is scheduled to dock). :confused: :confused: :confused:

According to this document: http://www.portofgothenburg.com/Documents/Kryssningsanl%C3%B6p/Crusie_calls_150331.pdf?epslanguage=en

June 28 Sun 07:00 14:00 Regal Princess 642-643 Skandiahamnen

Arendal berths are numbered in the 700s.

Edited by A.Emgee

Quote from Port Authority of Gothenburg

Skandia 643

The port of Skandia can welcome cruise ships of unlimited size and the biggest

cruise ships dock here. Shuttle buses provided by the cruise lines will take you to

the city centre. It is about 9 km (5,5 miles) and the bus ride will take 15-20

minutes.

Gothenburg city centre round-trip shuttle from Regal Princess on Fri, May 15 was free, no payment needed. I believe this was a subsidized service from the port authority. Caught me by surprise (the port lecturer mentioned it in his presentation, and that night's patter confirmed it), as I'd read so much about the different prices and whether it was even worth it. For free, it was a no-brainer!

That said, I wish the ship had docked at the other spot next to the Volvo Museum. There was a sign with the taxi rate there, but I can't remember how much it was -- about 200 SEK?

Gothenburg city centre round-trip shuttle from Regal Princess on Fri, May 15 was free, no payment needed. I believe this was a subsidized service from the port authority. Caught me by surprise (the port lecturer mentioned it in his presentation, and that night's patter confirmed it), as I'd read so much about the different prices and whether it was even worth it. For free, it was a no-brainer!

That said, I wish the ship had docked at the other spot next to the Volvo Museum. There was a sign with the taxi rate there, but I can't remember how much it was -- about 200 SEK?

Is it walkable from the Regal Princess Dock to Volvo museum ?

It's about 3km to walk

From Volvo Museum, Arendals Skans, Göteborg to Stilla Havet 23 over Nordatlanten.

36 min (2,9 km) http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Volvo%20Museum%2C%20Arendals%20Skans%2C%20G%C3%B6teborg&daddr=Stilla%20Havet%2023&geocode=FWpacAMdk1i0AClnrwjyRYxPRjFuJKDu2GfBcg%3D%3D%3BFTZWcAMdJ860AClj8IIG94xPRjH77QlmW8fCWg%3D%3D&dirflg=w

The above distance notwithstanding, I think the bigger issue would be navigating -- picture walking through a maze of multi-storey shipping containers, which is all there was in the vicinity of Regal. I didn't see any signposts for the museum other than the taxi fare one, which was incidentally when I knew for sure we were at the wrong dock for it. Up till that point, I'd still hoped it was hidden behind a nearby shipping container ;)... but I knew from prior research that the building should be immediately apparent, whereas this area was 100% industrial beyond the makeshift welcome tents.

I think your only viable free option is the town shuttle. I was grateful they provided it, and the town itself was pleasant enough (and the drop-off location perfect for the paddan boats, if you want to go on those), but looking back I'd still rather have visited the museum (and I'm not even a Volvo aficianado).

Edited by cityguy300

OK. When we arrive on the Regal Princess it sounds like the Volvo museum is 3 km away. But it is a busy commercial port with lots of shipping containers, so walking is not a good idea. The free shuttle takes you into town, which is in the opposite direction of the museum.

So here are my questions:

1. If we just want to go to the museum, how do we get there and back?
  2. If we would like to go to town and stop at the museum before we return to the ship, is there an easy way to do this?

OK. When we arrive on the Regal Princess it sounds like the Volvo museum is 3 km away. But it is a busy commercial port with lots of shipping containers, so walking is not a good idea. The free shuttle takes you into town, which is in the opposite direction of the museum.

So here are my questions:

1. If we just want to go to the museum, how do we get there and back?
  2. If we would like to go to town and stop at the museum before we return to the ship, is there an easy way to do this?

1. To get there, walk or taxi if you are allowed to. To get back, you can buy a bus ticket at Dockside kiosk.

2a. Sort of, take from 10 from Brunnsparken towards Biskopsgården, get off at Eketrägatan, at this stop goto position E and take bus 32 towards Arendal, get off at Arendal skans.

2b. After visiting the museum, walk to the Dockside kiosk, buy a bus ticket and walk to Arendals Allé and go with bus #32 towards Eketrägatan, get off at Sydatlanten stop.

For 2, you can also buy a 24 hour travel pass once you get into town, it will cost 85 SEK, you won't be able to use it's full value but on the other hand

you won't have to walk all the way up the dockside kiosk to buy a bus ticket. Also if you do buy a travel pass, for 2b you can take the bus from Arendal Skans instead.

Use the travel planner at http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/en/ and http://www.vasttrafik.se/#!/en/tickets-and-prices/ to find connections and places to buy bus tickets/travel cards.

Edited by Desdichado62

FREE shuttle to town? Not $20pp roundtrip? That's great news! Thanks so much cityguy300 for chiming in!

No problem -- I was sure someone would have mentioned it before now, amidst all the talk (mostly from last year's cruisers) of different shuttle rates and whether it was even worth it.

It was, as expected, the least interesting port on the cruise. I couldn't find anything I wanted to do beforehand, so had we docked at Arendal and there had been no free way to town, I would definitely have just gone to the Volvo Museum for a couple of hours and called it a day.

With the complimentary shuttle, there's nothing to lose -- and it sounds like it's easier (than walking) and cheaper (than a taxi) to get to the museum from downtown anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I am now posting live from the Regal Princess and can confirm that the port shuttle in Gothenburg is FREE and provided by the Port of Gothenburg. :) We are in port from 7:00am until 2:00pm, with all onboard being 1:30pm. The first shuttle departs at 7:30am and the last shuttle returns at 1:00pm. Those wishing to take the shuttle must go to the Symphony Dining room to get a ticket, much like tendering. First come, first served. No mention of Elite Captain's Circle getting priority tickets unlike tendering, though.

Hope that helps someone!

IMO it's a big shame that the ship has such a useless itinerary in this port.

arriving at 7am when nothing is open before 10am is more or less a fraud to the passengers.

On contrary to claims above, there is actually plenty of different things to se/do in Gothenburg.

I can confirm that Captain’s Circle Elite members get priority to board the next available shuttle from the port to the city in Gothenburg. Each shuttle bus seats 50 passengers, and they run quite frequently. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes, even at the 1:00pm rush back to the ship. The journey takes about 25 minutes.

I completely agree with Desdichado62 that a real disservice has been made to the city of Gothenburg by having a stay only until 1:00pm on a Sunday. Most places are not even open until 12:00pm (if open at all on Sundays).

I also agree that there is lots to see and do in Sweden’s second largest city. It does not have the historical attractions or importance of other European cities but it’s nonetheless a very attractive, picturesque city with cobblestone streets just the same. The people are very friendly, speak English, and we frequently got offered help from strangers. The trams go everywhere conveniently and you can pay on board with a credit card. We took the tram to Slottsskogen (Castle Park) which is just 12 minutes from the shuttle drop off and open even early on Sunday morning. In this huge green space there is a FREE zoo where one can find moose, deer, Gotland ponies, critically endangered Swedish rabbits, and even penguins! There is a free petting zoo, huge playground, and great pony rides for kids. The Natural History Museum is also located there. We then walked back to Haga where most of the stores were closed, except most notably for Café Husaren and their enormous dinner-plate-sized kanelbulle (Swedish cinnamon bun). The buns are very pricey at about US$10, so we just kept walking back towards the ship until we found a supermarket (Willy's) where we bought a normal sized one for a few cents, as well as lingonberry jam. We then strolled down the pedestrianized shopping street Kungsgatan where most of the shops (including famous Swedish brands) were open by noon. From there it is a short walk back to the shuttle pick-up area.

I hope this helps someone who is visiting Gothenburg after me.

Edited by A.Emgee