cruises: Japan

lyna

We cruised Japan with princess a couple of years ago. I would say Japan is one of the easiest countries to DIY. In every port there was a very good tourist info centre set up as you disembarked. Some places had free bus to take you to the town centre, others gave you a map or sold you a tour ticket to take in a train, ferry, bicycle trip.

Japanese people are very helpful, if you have a map and point to where you want to go they will help. You will have picked up that map as you disembarked!

Train travel is efficient, easy to navigate and you can easily visit nearby towns by train.

Trams and buses are very good too. In many places you can purchase a day ticket and hop on and off the local buses to reach different destinations with ease.

If you have some ports in mind please add a list and you will get individualised answers.

So, in summary, we used local transport to see iconic temples, forts and scenery in several ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are heading there next week for a land tour.

Is there a recommended "tour bus" (HOHO or otherwise) in Tokyo for a quick "overview" the first day?

Our planned tour doesn't start until our second day there; we are allowing ourselves a day to recover from the 14+ hour flight. It's the first time we've done more than about 7+ hours, so we don't know how fast we'll recover.

Would there be something that would include going through Ginza? Our hotel isn't in that area.

Thanks.

I think there is a HOHO, but the metro system is very good. You can get a tourist map at the main stations and work from there.

Ginza is good to visit. Make sure you go in the large department stores, especially the food halls.

To aid your jet lag recovery set your watch to Tokyo time as soon as you board the plane. Try to get out in the daylight after you have checked into your hotel. We think sunshine on the retinas helps the brain to adjust to the time faster. Also try to stay awake as long as you can in the evening.

A sleep on the plane can help too. A couple of glasses of wine with your meal will help with that and the nearer the front of the plane, the better you will sleep. We flew business class and appreciated being able to lie flat out to sleep.

We did a great cruise on Celebrity Millennium in Fall of 2015 called Japan and China. We had five ports in Japan and cruise ended in Hong Kong. It was one of our best.

We did eight days in Tokyo and Kyoto prior to the cruise. We loved Japan and the people.

Here is my review that includes a lot of tour information.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

My wife and I were there on the Millennium last October.

You will find Tokyo very easy to get around by train/subway - just do some research beforehand since there is more than one train company. The following website is excellent for researching A to B schedules and fares:

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

If your ship overnights in Kobe, then consider a train trip with an overnight stay in Kyoto. We did so and hired a guide for 1 1/2 days using toursbylocals.com (shared the full day with another couple from our CC roll call.)

If you plan on using the trains and subways in Japan, recommend you purchase a SUICA card at the JR train station when you arrive in Narita. It is much easier to swipe your card as you enter and exit the turnstiles than to have to purchase a ticket for each train/subway segment. If you find you need to add yen to the card you can recharge it at places like a CVS pharmacy!

Nagasaki is very easy to do on your own using the tram to ride from the downtown port up to the Peace Park and A-bomb museum. Note: there is a tram transfer a couple of stops after you get on the tram at the port - not a problem - just follow the crowd!

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

I think there is a HOHO, but the metro system is very good. You can get a tourist map at the main stations and work from there.

Ginza is good to visit. Make sure you go in the large department stores, especially the food halls.

To aid your jet lag recovery set your watch to Tokyo time as soon as you board the plane. Try to get out in the daylight after you have checked into your hotel. We think sunshine on the retinas helps the brain to adjust to the time faster. Also try to stay awake as long as you can in the evening.

A sleep on the plane can help too. A couple of glasses of wine with your meal will help with that and the nearer the front of the plane, the better you will sleep. We flew business class and appreciated being able to lie flat out to sleep.

Thanks.

For this "first look around", we want something above ground so we can just get a feel for things.

Our only other "experiences" would be from books or movies.

We are definitely treating ourselves to this first trip to Asia, and also first trip even close to the time this flight takes (14+ hours without delays).

We've been hoarding awards points, and "cashed" in a bunch so that we are going First on JAL to Tokyo.

After we spend about 2 weeks in Japan, we fly to Hong Kong for a few nights.

And then we fly home F on Cathay Pacific.

It's for "medical reasons", right? ;)

This should give us the best possible chance to *really* sleep, remain comfy, and just general be able to relax.

We did a great cruise on Celebrity Millennium in Fall of 2015 called Japan and China. We had five ports in Japan and cruise ended in Hong Kong. It was one of our best.

We did eight days in Tokyo and Kyoto prior to the cruise. We loved Japan and the people.

Here is my review that includes a lot of tour information.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

Thanks 4774Papa!

We've read your wonderful, detailed, thoughtful reports!

I had studied this one some time ago, studying it carefully!

And I've just read it again.:)

Aomori is brilliant! So much to do. The nebula carnival float museum is a must do. Lunch in the market, not to be missed. The coloured drain cover is worth seeking out. Eat an apple here, they taste delicious.

Busan, get to the fish market, eat lunch here. Try some seaweed. Go to the traditional locals market where you can buy unique souvenirs like embroidered thimbles.

Yokohama is also worth a look round. Once you get on board dump your luggage and go back ashore to look round the cruise terminal, the red brick area and find the girl with red shoes in the park. Sorry, no tips for lunch here!

Just re read my post above and see that the corrective text bug has bitten me!

In Aomori it should read Nebuta carnival float museum, rather than nebula!

Our next cruise is from Vancouver to Yokohama but we don't stop in many Japanese ports but we will enjoy re visiting Hakodate and Otaru.

I would really suggest doing your own thing in Aomori. Really easy to get around on local buses. I will review my holiday diary to give you some more definite pointers.

We found taxis in Japan very expensive. Ok if you have another couple to share with. But the local transport is well priced, easy to use and very convenient.

Look out for more in a couple of hours, I am just having a break from doing my ironing, [emoji17]

hahaha, read it right the first time.

Are there any tours you can pick up from port at Aomori?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

Hi lyna,

You must be imagining an ironing mountain in my house because it has taken me a full day to reply!

In Aomori there is a shuttle bus to take you to town, but it is not far to walk. Maybe 20 minutes and it is a pretty flat, easy walk.

We had an English speaking volunteer who accompanied us to the station and we got return tickets to Hirosake. That cost the equivalent of £15 for 2 of us. That was 3 years ago, so expect to pay more now.

The train took 40 minutes.

In Hirosake we went to the castle, the botanical garden and Fujitsu memorial garden. You can get a combo ticket for all three of these places. We had picked up maps of Hirosake from the tourist info station set up by the boat where we disembarked.

We had a stroll town, found a lovely pagoda at a temple where we took loads more photos.

Took the train back to Aomori, bought some cider then took the shuttle back to the ship. Lots of other passengers did the same thing so you wouldn't be alone I expect.

We had 2 days in Aomori because we were avoiding a typhoon so on our second day we explored Aomori itself. We visited the museum of the Nebuta festival. Worth doing. Then we caught a local bus to Sanna Maruyama archaeological site. The bus goes from the bus station right to the door of this museum. We got a day pass for the bus. The journey was 20 minutes, the bus was packed and we stood all the way.

The museum has 5000 year old artefacts plus outdoors there are amazing reconstructions of ancient dwellings. There is one huge one with wooden pillars which is a sort of icon of the place. We spent over an hour there before catching the bus back to town.

We ate lunch in the fish market, lots of fun. You buy a set of vouchers then trade them in for the food items at the stalls. The first voucher gets you a bowl of rice then you top it with raw or cooked fish. There are tables set up where you can eat your food, chopsticks, soy and wasabi available at these tables.

After there we bought an apple for dessert. It was enormous, so we shared it! It was delicious.

We strolled round town and found the painted drain cover! We got very into drain covers in Japan. Each town has them themed to their area, decorated with local scenes such as a castle or cherry blossom pattern. Worth looking out for.

We picked up several souvenirs for our grandkids in the APSAM centre. Tshirts, socks, origami kits....

Back at the ship we dumped our shopping then took a walk back towards town to the supermarket. That was fun to look round and we bought some beer for our cabin.

So, don't be worried about doing independent tours in Japan. Each port will have a tourist info point set up to meet passengers and they will have English speaking volunteers to help you too.

Enjoy [emoji627]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Kristal Blade

Great information on Aomori. We will be doing a b2b with Princess in October. Do you have information about these ports? Toyama, Kagoshima, Miyazaki, Sakaiminato, Tsuruga.

I know this is a difficult question, but how much would you suggest to budget if "doing your own thing" from the port? Could you use your UK cards at ATMs to withdraw cash?

Thanks

Monica

Hello Kristal Blade

Great information on Aomori. We will be doing a b2b with Princess in October. Do you have information about these ports? Toyama, Kagoshima, Miyazaki, Sakaiminato, Tsuruga.

I know this is a difficult question, but how much would you suggest to budget if "doing your own thing" from the port? Could you use your UK cards at ATMs to withdraw cash?

Thanks

Monica

Any Seven Eleven and Family Mart convenience store will have ATMs that accept international cards. You will see one of those two stores on almost every corner in any Japanese city. Also post offices have the international ATMs but those may be harder to find.

Japanese banks only accept their own cards.

Any Seven Eleven and Family Mart convenience store will have ATMs that accept international cards. You will see one of those two stores on almost every corner in any Japanese city. Also post offices have the international ATMs but those may be harder to find.

Thanks for that :) Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Monica

I think there are some folks from UK in this thread.

Tonight at 9pm on BBC4 there is a prog about Japanese art. Tonight is about the influence of nature on art. Might be worth a look. I will give it a go.

Monica, I am home now. Will check my holiday diary for port tips tonight.

Hello Kristal Blade

Thanks

Monica

Hi Monica,

We did b2b2b on Princess in 2014. There are some new ports included which is good to see because we would love to see more of Japan. The only one I can help you with is Sakaiminato....

We took a shuttle bus from the port to the train station. Free of charge. Guides gave us maps in port. At the railway station there were more guides, they led us to the bus stop to catch a bus to Matsue. That cost 1000Y each. It was a 50 minute trip. Once in Matsue there were more guides to point us towards the castle. You could have had a guided tour there but we just strolled round on our own. Take your passport to get a discount at the castle. It cost 800 for both of us. There are several houses you can visit in the Samurai district. We went into Burke Yashiki for 300Y for both of us. Good displays in several rooms plus a lovely garden.

Before catching the bus back we popped into a civic centre type building. Good Japanese toilets there plus a little cafe with nice cakes!

On the bus to Yushia garden. That was a lovely visit. Think moss, waterfalls, bridges, peonies, Zen garden. Very photogenic.

There is a free shuttle bus back to the port from there.

In Sakaiminato itself you should check out all the Manga statues in Mizuki Shigeru road. There are lots of restaurants for lunch. We paid about 1600Y each for drinks and raw fish "platter".

Now, I hope they do this when you are there... in port on our day you could try on a kimono for free. Ladies helped dress you, the costume will fit over your clothes and the ladies will make sure it fits properly. My husband got dressed up too and we have some lovely photos of us by the ship.

Another couple of tips for you. Take a notebook with blank paper. Every garden, castle, tourist place, has an inkpad and a unique stamp. You can collect images of where you have been.

I always take postcards from my local area to give to people who have helped us. A simple gesture, but usually appreciated.

One odd thing. We got very into drain covers. They are made specially for each town or area of town. The ones back home seem very dull now!

We will be in Japan in September on a Celebrity repositioning cruise, but visiting ports we have seen before but have some time in Tokyo too.

Enjoy your cruise,

Libby

We did not see those stores that frequently. We did find a post office near the Tokyo Station. We took lots of Yen in cash just in case.