Dubai

Roofire

We were just wondering whether anyone had stayed and then cruised from Dubai. The messages seem a bit mixed in terms of experiences, particularly whether it is safe for a gay couple. Talk of twin rather than double beds etc. Does anyone have any experiences or advice?

We were just wondering whether anyone had stayed and then cruised from Dubai. The messages seem a bit mixed in terms of experiences, particularly whether it is safe for a gay couple. Talk of twin rather than double beds etc. Does anyone have any experiences or advice?

Hi., Ive been to and stayed often in Dubai. As long as you are discrete, you won't have a problem. Public displays of affection between straights and gays is frowned upon and in some cases an arrestable offence. Even holding hands is not encouraged, certainly any clothing that displays skin in an overt way is also not a good idea. For men or women.

That said there are some incredible hotels there, the Atlantis - the Palace - the Intercontinental just to name a few. If you stay at one of the more high end hotels, that is at least a 5 star hotel you wont have a problem with a double bed however if they question it at reception go along with it and accept seperate beds. Most high end hotels offer two double beds in the room anyway so just ruffle up the other sheets and you will not offend any of the staff.

Most 5 star and above hotels will serve alcohol - most public restaurants outside hotels wont. And certainly - dont get caught drunk in public. That...is a very big no-no.

Gay life in Dubai is very much underground and there are meeting places but they are discrete and not advertised. You really have to be in the know or have been there a few times to know where they are. Which is a joke really considering the prevalence of gay activity going on there. Enough said.

Don't be put off by the limitations however you just have to remember that you are in someone else's country who hold a different set of rules than us in the west it is an example of what a lot of money can buy in the way of Architecture and public amenities and to watch the skyline change each year is astounding.

Have a fabulous time.

Edited by roscoe39

Don't be put off by the limitations however you just have to remember that you are in someone else's country who hold a different set of rules than us in the west it is an example of what a lot of money can buy in the way of Architecture and public amenities and to watch the skyline change each year is astounding.

Have a fabulous time.

"The United Arab Emirates (UAE) often uses its affluence to mask the government’s serious human rights problems. The government arbitrarily detains, and in some cases forcibly disappears, individuals who criticized the authorities, and its security forces face allegations of torturing detainees. A new anti-discrimination law further jeopardizes free speech and is discriminatory, as it excludes references to gender and sexuality. Authorities denied access to the country to activists who criticized the UAE’s mistreatment of migrant workers. Labor abuses persist, as migrant construction workers facing serious exploitation. Female domestic workers are excluded from regulations that apply to workers in other sectors." - Human Rights Watch

Have fun!

Thanks guys, so 2 views here:

1. If you are discrete and respectful you should be ok, but there is some risk.

2, From a principles perspective, not a good idea.

Any other people's thoughts to balance things out?

Best advice I can give is go and make up your own mind......

Though it's unlikely he'll see anything of the plight of dissidents and migrant construction workers, hundreds of whom die each year under unexplained circumstances.

I can't get all holier-than-thou: I've gone to some boycottable places, from Burma before the transition to democracy, to North Carolina, to ride roller coasters. On the other hand, I'll be damned if I go to St. Petersburg, now more than ever. And - as much as I'd love to ride the coasters there - I'm skipping Dubai for now.

I've said this here before: if you feel divided over going, consider, should you go and spend money there, making an equivalent contribution to a human rights organization, too.

And by all means don't swear. A British tourist was arrested for that and beaten to death a few years back. The buildings are nice, though.

Edited by shepp

Though it's unlikely he'll see anything of the plight of dissidents and migrant construction workers, hundreds of whom die each year under unexplained circumstances.

I can't get all holier-than-thou: I've gone to some boycottable places, from Burma before the transition to democracy, to North Carolina, to ride roller coasters. On the other hand, I'll be damned if I go to St. Petersburg, now more than ever. And - as much as I'd love to ride the coasters there - I'm skipping Dubai for now.

I've said this here before: if you feel divided over going, consider, should you go and spend money there, making an equivalent contribution to a human rights organization, too.

And by all means don't swear. A British tourist was arrested for that and beaten to death a few years back. The buildings are nice, though.

wow...you're a real bundle of laughs arn't you Shepp.

We all have choices about where we spend our money and I won't spend it in countries that will arrest, jail or execute people like me. It isn't just that I can fake it and get by, but that people like me live under these conditions. I don't want any money going to these countries. I have always wanted to go to St Petersburg but won't see it anytime soon. Same for Dubai. Both places are bucket list worthy, but won't make it onto my list until things change. There are so many places in the world where we can travel freely. I stick to spending my money there.

Finally, vacations are fun and a time to relax. I don't want to go anywhere I have to be guarded in action and speech just to see the Burj Khalifa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wow...you're a real bundle of laughs arn't you Shepp.

Sorry not to be more sanguine. Seemed like a germane story if someone asked, "Are queer tourists safe in Dubai?"

But, granted, it could be an aberration.

Follow the advice given and be discrete and respectful of the countries laws and you won't have a problem.

We stayed at the Burj Al Arab, but hearing all the stories at the time of others "getting into trouble" so to speak, we decided to play it super safe and requested twin beds in our suite.

In public we did everything together, traveled together, ate at tables for 2 together etc. Not a problem. Arab men always hang out with other Arab men. Just no displays of affection (and dress appropriately in public areas outside of the hotel).

Beautiful city. Enjoyed our stay. Although done it now.....

Follow the advice given and be discrete and respectful of the countries laws and you won't have a problem.

We stayed at the Burj Al Arab, but hearing all the stories at the time of others "getting into trouble" so to speak, we decided to play it super safe and requested twin beds in our suite.

In public we did everything together, traveled together, ate at tables for 2 together etc. Not a problem. Arab men always hang out with other Arab men. Just no displays of affection (and dress appropriately in public areas outside of the hotel).

Beautiful city. Enjoyed our stay. Although done it now.....

Hello, did you notice how many Arab men walk around holding hands, I did initially think it was more gay friendly until i realised that it's a cultural thing.

My wife and I have cruised out of Dubai a couple of times. We always stay at the JW Marriott and requested a king sized bed, which hasn't been a problem. Wonderful executive lounge with a nice spread of local foods to try and cocktails. Many people asked us if we were sisters, which we thought was amusing. All of the people we came into were very kind and we would not hesitate to return.