Grand Turks and Amber Cove

FLArmyWife

I thought I'd seen something about a place called Ocean World on the Carnival site but can't find it.

Excursions are hard for us. My husband will do anything, it's me. I have an anxiety disorder and the ocean is not my friend. I cannot snorkel, no dolphin swims, no sting ray encounters.

On a past cruise we did a tour of Blackbeard's Castle which had rum tasting, and at another island we toured their zoo and their Sea World type park (maybe also called ocean world?).

So any recommendations? We won't get off the ship in Nassau (been there 2 times already) and already know we'll spend Half Moon on the beach, so just any recommendations for Grand Turks and Amber Cove that aren't uber expensive. Thanks!

I thought I'd seen something about a place called Ocean World on the Carnival site but can't find it.

Excursions are hard for us. My husband will do anything, it's me. I have an anxiety disorder and the ocean is not my friend. I cannot snorkel, no dolphin swims, no sting ray encounters.

On a past cruise we did a tour of Blackbeard's Castle which had rum tasting, and at another island we toured their zoo and their Sea World type park (maybe also called ocean world?).

So any recommendations? We won't get off the ship in Nassau (been there 2 times already) and already know we'll spend Half Moon on the beach, so just any recommendations for Grand Turks and Amber Cove that aren't uber expensive. Thanks!

We just did both of these ports in May. Grand Turk we took the Carnival Excursion of the Hummer tour; the Hummers were great, the tour guide was very informative and it was a good way to see the Island.

In Amber Cove we did the ATV adventure and had a BLAST. This was another Carnival excursion and the ATV held 2 people. We are in our 50's and had never driven or ridden on an ATV but we had so much fun with the vehicles, tour, tour guide and the lunch provided at the end. We loved this one so much we booked another cruise for next year and will go back to Amber Cove and do this excursion again!

Loved our Grand Turk local tour. Booked at Carnival Kiosk at end of dock. We had a great local guide from Rainbow Calypso Tours. Saw downtown, lighthouse salt flats and learned lots about the island. Rode on bumpy open air trolley.

Loved our Grand Turk local tour. Booked at Carnival Kiosk at end of dock. We had a great local guide from Rainbow Calypso Tours. Saw downtown, lighthouse salt flats and learned lots about the island. Rode on bumpy open air trolley.

Austin was the name of young tour guide. Really well educated.

• 2 weeks later...

Great sand. Not really a "pretty" island, not much to do there other than the beach.

Read the discussions on the first 2 pages here for "best things to do". Most folks just lay on the beach at the port (free) or go to a different beach

We've been there twice and it's a real laid back island. This last time we rented golf carts and explored the island on our own. We headed to the other end and went to the lighthouse. Then we headed to Bohio (beach) for awhile and grabbed lunch. Then went to a BEAUTIFUL beach at Governors (which is the first beach you'll come to after getting off the regular stretch of beach by the cruise port, Jack's Shack and so on).

Check out my review in my signature line. It has TONS of pictures. (For OP, not saying you'd have to go to the beaches, but exploring the island on your own is fun and you can go anywhere).

To Uncleboo...definitely check out Governors Beach if you want a beautiful beach. Just be aware there's nothing there, like vendors/food/drinks, but there are restrooms, showers and feet washing stations. The place is usually deserted and you usually have the place to yourself. :)

Great photos! You mentioned you rented golf carts? Where did you rent from and would they hold 5 or would we have to rent 2 for an adult family of 5?

Thanks!

We rented from Wet Money and they were wonderful. There's 2 seats in the front and then a bench in the back so it could hold 3 back there depending on their size.

• 5 weeks later...
On Grand Turk we rented an ATV from Karib, it was a blast. The island is so small you can't get lost. $80 for the day plus gas, I think we used less than 2 gallons. Both of us on one ATV by the way.

Karib has a web site, http://www.karibarentals.com/

We will be there in January. How did you get to the rental place? Is the ATV big enough for two average sized adults?

Thanks for the info. Donna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We did the Ocean World general pass last cruise (me, DH & DS (13) this past January on Valor. We had fun, the dolphin show was fun, the sea lion show was fun, these were shows where you sit in the stands and watch (covered seats out of sun). There were many things to look at and see and if you want to do something you can get the tickets right there (DS went on the giant water slides after we walked around and saw the shows (there was an extra cost for this but they were a blast). DH and DS did a small snorkel thing inside a big tank with marine life in it, they had fun taking underwater pix of the up close fish.

They have food vendors there and a big gift shop, think a smaller marine land or sea world without amusement park rides. Very relaxing and entertaining to just see the marine life and shows available. You can do this excursion in half a day easily then go back to port and have time at the pool if you want to.

We will be on this same itinerary in about a few weeks (the week before Christmas on the Magic) and this time we will just do the pool thing and zip line at the pool with the watersides. This port is just a nice relaxing port day at the pool or beach for the most part.

Edited by Drazil65

• 2 months later...

Thank you all so much!

As this is a surprise I hope to grab information to have to present to him and see what he would like to look into. Sadly I know it is possible some things may not be available after we get on the ship, but I'd like him to be a part of the port plannings I think.

We did ocean world type thing on an island before and it was fun, but I'm thinking more now that my husband may want to just lay on the beach as he'll have just finished an 18 month zookeeper program where he took care of animals 24/7. He'll probably want a break from the animals lol.

Again thank you all for your insights.

On Grand Turk we rented an ATV from Karib, it was a blast. The island is so small you can't get lost. $80 for the day plus gas, I think we used less than 2 gallons. Both of us on one ATV by the way.

Karib has a web site, http://www.karibarentals.com/

ok, how fast do these golf carts go? how long did it take you to get to the lighthouse?

round the island?

thanks

ok, how fast do these golf carts go? how long did it take you to get to the lighthouse?

round the island?

thanks

You quoted a person who rented an ATV, so they might not know the answer to your question.

However, they are normal golf carts. I have no idea what the speed are, but I think ours was a little slower than some of the people that were passing us. They aren't too slow, but they are not an ATV or car for sure. We had an awesome time and it was the perfect speed for us. We weren't in a hurry and had the entire day to explore.

If you are interested in reading our trip from the start of renting our golf carts to making it to the Lighthouse...you can find it HERE. That link should drop you right off at the beginning (just give it a chance to load).

When I do my reviews, I always take a picture of my watch so that I can time where I'm going. We pulled out from getting our golf cart at 8:50am and arrived at the lighthouse at 9:11am. :)