Cancelled Triumph Cruise Refunds

texasmelrose2

Just wondering if there is anyone else that was booked on one of the cancelled Triumph cruises that is awaiting a refund.

We were booked on the April 4 sailing and heard (just through news, etc) that our cruise was cancelled. We never received an email or any direct correspondence from Carnival advising us of this. We paid in full in January for a balcony room. I figured we would see our refund fairly soon however I called Carnival yesterday and they said it would be THREE WEEKS. I waited on hold a really long time and was at work (didn't have time to extend the call longer) so I got the information from the lady that finally answered and hung up. Thinking back I wish I had escalated the call to a manager as I think holding up our funds 3 weeks is excessive! We need to make our other vacation arrangements as it is slightly over 1 month away.

Curious if others are getting the same 3 week window? I like Carnival and am not afraid to cruise with them in the future but this does annoy me. It is as easy as a click of the button on their end to initiate my refund. :(

They told us "3 weeks" too. I don't know why they can't electronically cancel the charges any quicker than that, but oh well... I would like the funds freed up too.

My biggest disappointment is vacation schedualing at work, though. Its set in stone for 2013, and I am missing something else since I chose April for a cruise that won't happen. Collateral damage for me, I guess.

We were canceled on the March 21st sailing. My PVP emailed me to tell me about the cancelation on the day they canceled us. I also received an email from Carnival. We just rebooked on another ship and they just transfered the our sailing so no problem for us. Now we did book faster to fun that we are waiting on a refund and then had to pay for it on the new sailing so that was kind of frustrating that they couldn't just transfer it like they did the cruise fair. We had 4 people in our group that did not rebook and I am not sure if they have recieved a refund yet but I kind of doubt it.

I received 3 emails from Carnival telling us our Triumph cruise was canceled.

Funny thing was I had already called Carnival the minute I saw on Cruise Critic ours was canceled.

I called, told them I wanted to change to Elation. They rebooked me and gave me a very nice refund amount.

My PVP said it would be 2 weeks for the refund. It took 3 days. I had a deposit with 3 days!

When I called I called my PVP directly and he answered very quick.

Just wondering if there is anyone else that was booked on one of the cancelled Triumph cruises that is awaiting a refund.

We were booked on the April 4 sailing and heard (just through news, etc) that our cruise was cancelled. We never received an email or any direct correspondence from Carnival advising us of this. We paid in full in January for a balcony room. I figured we would see our refund fairly soon however I called Carnival yesterday and they said it would be THREE WEEKS. I waited on hold a really long time and was at work (didn't have time to extend the call longer) so I got the information from the lady that finally answered and hung up. Thinking back I wish I had escalated the call to a manager as I think holding up our funds 3 weeks is excessive! We need to make our other vacation arrangements as it is slightly over 1 month away.

Curious if others are getting the same 3 week window? I like Carnival and am not afraid to cruise with them in the future but this does annoy me. It is as easy as a click of the button on their end to initiate my refund. :(

Considering there are close to 20,000 people in your shoes, I think your expectations are unrealistic. Especially, if you're wanting a complete refund back to your credit card.

Heck, Carnival could issue the credit and it could still be another 3 or 4 weeks before your credit card company posts the credit to your account.

I would think a faster alternative would be to ask Carnival if you could just transfer your refund to a future cruise on a different ship.

I would be happy if you get it in three weeks. CCL has thousands of refunds to process, and at the same time they have to continue to run the rest of the fleets reservation operations.

You will get your refund, it is just going to take a bit of time. Hopefully you have it by the 1st of April.

Considering there are close to 20,000 people in your shoes, I think your expectations are unrealistic. Especially, if you're wanting a complete refund back to your credit card.

Heck, Carnival could issue the credit and it could still be another 3 or 4 weeks before your credit card company posts the credit to your account.

I would think a faster alternative would be to ask Carnival if you could just transfer your refund to a future cruise on a different ship.

Thanks for your response however I will agree to disagree that I am being unrealistic. I guess my mistake is not having a PVP with Carnival because by the responses it seems that those who do are better taken care of and are not waiting 3 weeks for refunds.

We already have a cruise booked and paid for for October and do not plan to sail with Carnival again after that for a while so your suggestion wouldn't have worked for us. I paid with a debit card and my bank is very quick about their turn around for refunds so I don't expect delays on that end.

I figured I would get flamed more than this by now for even questioning Carnival's return policy! :D

I would be happy if you get it in three weeks. CCL has thousands of refunds to process, and at the same time they have to continue to run the rest of the fleets reservation operations.

You will get your refund, it is just going to take a bit of time. Hopefully you have it by the 1st of April.

Again, it is as easy as pressing a button to refund....I will NOT be waiting until April 1....

I received 3 emails from Carnival telling us our Triumph cruise was canceled.

Funny thing was I had already called Carnival the minute I saw on Cruise Critic ours was canceled.

I called, told them I wanted to change to Elation. They rebooked me and gave me a very nice refund amount.

My PVP said it would be 2 weeks for the refund. It took 3 days. I had a deposit with 3 days!

When I called I called my PVP directly and he answered very quick.

Sounds like they have taken really good care of you. I hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Elation! Guess it pays to have a PVP....

With the amount of people needing refunds or transfers to other ships 3 weeks is not that unreasonable. I do understand your frustration however

Thanks, I really do understand they have a lot of refunds to handle. PLUS, they will lose out on a LOT of interest if they do it too soon. ;)

When our 'Sandy' cruise was cancelled I did as others above did ... we rebooked. Our money was just transfered to the new booking.

We were due a refund which showed up on our cc in a matter of days (7/8?).

I see that this would not work for you.

We already have a cruise booked and paid for for October and do not plan to sail with Carnival again after that for a while so your suggestion wouldn't have worked for us. I paid with a debit card and my bank is very quick about their turn around for refunds so I don't expect delays on that end.

:D

would it be possible to have them issue your refund as an OBC to your October cruise? Any monies left over at the end of the cruise would be returned via check on the last night.

They told us "3 weeks" too. I don't know why they can't electronically cancel the charges any quicker than that, but oh well... I would like the funds freed up too.

My biggest disappointment is vacation schedualing at work, though. Its set in stone for 2013, and I am missing something else since I chose April for a cruise that won't happen. Collateral damage for me, I guess.

They CAN do it quicker but choose not to....

I understand the scheduling issues. I was locked into this set vacation time so have to do something during that time period and can't postpone. :( Hope you figure out something great to do! I sure will miss taking this cruise!

When our 'Sandy' cruise was cancelled I did as others above did ... we rebooked. Our money was just transfered to the new booking.

I see that this would not work for you.

I wish we could have done that as we really wanted to take a cruise. Glad they took good care of you and you were able to rebook. :o

would it be possible to have them issue your refund as an OBC to your October cruise? Any monies left over at the end of the cruise would be returned via check on the last night.

That would have been ideal however we paid in full for that cruise already. (Yeah, not smart I know!) I am one of those that likes to get everything paid for ASAP. So now we have this vacation time (that I can't change) and need to make other arrangements. I am just being impatient I know.... I am a planner. :(

We were booked or April 13th cruise on Triumph and got 3 emails about canceled cruise.

I called ad rebooked Triumph for May 20th (hopefully ready!)

Wih discount I am waiting for a refund of just over $100 even though I went from 8c to 8e.

Also waiting for refund of non-refundable hotel room and drink coupons I had purchased.

The only thing that I did't like I was told I don't get to keep $34 in onboard credit from early saver price drop.

Also had Travel Guard insurance and prepaid parking at Park n Cruise. Both let me switch to new dates no problem.

I am booked on the triumph for April 22. Do you think carnival will continue to pay non refundable travel fees if they cancel? I looked at my travel insurance and the way i read it i would not get refunded through them as it is not a covered reason. I did not buy cancel for any reason. I purchased global alert insurance. Does anyone know if they continued to pay fees after the splendor fire? Hoping for 2.0 upgrades in time for my cruise.

I

The only thing that I did't like I was told I don't get to keep $34 in onboard credit from early saver price drop.

We also got the OBC from our cancelled cruise, plus more. Our new booking was less than the original.

We got to keep our original OBC, plus more. Our new booking was less than the old one, also went from an obstructed view to an extended. :)

We got to keep our original OBC, plus more. Our new booking was less than the old one, also went from an obstructed view to an extended. :)

That sounds like you got a great deal! Hope your cruise is a blast! :)

I am booked on the triumph for April 22. Do you think carnival will continue to pay non refundable travel fees if they cancel? I looked at my travel insurance and the way i read it i would not get refunded through them as it is not a covered reason. I did not buy cancel for any reason. I purchased global alert insurance. Does anyone know if they continued to pay fees after the splendor fire? Hoping for 2.0 upgrades in time for my cruise.

That is a good question, my guess would be that if they cancel additional cruises they will offer the same deal (refund + travel expenses). You may want to call Carnival to see if they can give you any insight, though... I would not think they would leave you in the lurch. :confused:

Again, it is as easy as pressing a button to refund....I will NOT be waiting until April 1....

As someone that works in banking it's not as easy as "pressing a button." It's not fair; you pay by debit card and within seconds the funds are out of your checking account, but when waiting for the funds to be returned it seems to take forever. The Readers Digest version is-The Federal Reserve. When you funds were debited from your account it went via the Federal Reserve to Carnival, a process that normally takes 48 hours, but can take longer. Same thing with your refund. Even after Carnival processes the refund on their end it has to make it's way through the Federal Reserve. I've seen it take as long as ten days.

I do hope that your refund comes quickly. I feel your pain as the same thing happened to me. We were married on October 1, 2005, and were suppose to go on a honeymoon cruise up the Mississippi on a Riverboat. Thanks to Katrina (The hurricane) our cruise was cancelled and I had to scramble for a new honeymoon trip. We were lucky that the airline changed our tickets to a new destination without charging a change fee, and I think we got our refund in about 3-4 weeks, after being told 6-8.

Good luck, and I hope your 2nd choice vacation is memorable for all the right reasons.

I agree, 3 weeks is bad customer service, you would think they could or would do a little research and contact the passengers with a comparable cruise the same time frame, and try to make the changes for them, "hey you can't go on the Triumph, but we are able to get you on the Magic, or Conquest for the same weekend we have you in the same type cabin, and the price is the same, or xyz different for a better cabin"

Seams like it would be in their best interest to do that, instead of frustrating the customer with the 3 week thing, and they go and look at Royal or NCL for the same week.

Archived