Egypt travel warning issued

KirkNC

I find this travel warning not representative of Egypt, and not at all helpful for travelers to Egypt. The warning was issued as a result of a death of an American young man during a riot in Alexandria.

His tragic death has nothing to do with Egypt, but everything to do with him being caught up in a riot between anti-government protestors and police. This could have happened anywhere.

The fact that was supposedly filming an anti-government protest is a sign of his unfortunate poor judgment. To an idealistic “peace-pursuing” “poet-reading” western college student who was likely used to rubrics of protests in the US, his fatal attack was unfathomable; I am sure that his thoughts were: “but wait, don’t kill me, you don’t understand. I am an American, I am with you! I am just documenting your country’s wonderful transition to a democracy.” But to the protestors, some of whose family members might have been persecuted, tortured or killed by the police (whether under Mubarek or Morsy), he might have seemed to be a member of an intelligence agency documenting identities of the protestors.

And yes, I am taking my family, including our three 10 to 15-year olds, for a family vacation to Egypt later this year (if we had to have stayed away from all the places that the State Department suggests to avoid, we wouldn’t have gone on half of our vacations). Thanks to the poor press that Egypt has been getting, the prices are much cheaper than ever before.

We cancelled our holy lands cruise due to sail 26th July. Not for this reason though but it was in the back of my mind that this could happen. I'd be really disappointed missing Egypt (the itinerary has already changed to leave out Port Said) and will probably do a land tour at a later time.

His tragic death has nothing to do with Egypt, but everything to do with him being caught up in a riot between anti-government protestors and police. This could have happened anywhere.

But to the protestors, some of whose family members might have been persecuted, tortured or killed by the police (whether under Mubarek or Morsy), he might have seemed to be a member of an intelligence agency documenting identities of the protestors.

Um...how is that not location specific to Egypt? I find a hard time believing that it could happen "anywhere". Most countries are not embroiled in massive anti-government protests leading to regime change every few years. All of the Egyptians here in the U.S. that I know (who are Coptics, granted) have advised me against travel to Egypt right now as it is so dangerous.

I'm sad as I had wanted to go and see the pyramids on my upcoming cruise in August, but I'd be more sad if a family member or myself got stabbed trying to do so. But to each his own. I do hope that if you go, you have a safe trip.

I find this travel warning not representative of Egypt, and not at all helpful for travelers to Egypt. The warning was issued as a result of a death of an American young man during a riot in Alexandria.

The fact that was supposedly filming an anti-government protest is a sign of his unfortunate poor judgment. To an idealistic “peace-pursuing” “poet-reading” western college student who was likely used to rubrics of protests in the US, his fatal attack was unfathomable; I am sure that his thoughts were: “but wait, don’t kill me, you don’t understand. I am an American, I am with you! I am just documenting your country’s wonderful transition to a democracy.” But to the protestors, some of whose family members might have been persecuted, tortured or killed by the police (whether under Mubarek or Morsy), he might have seemed to be a member of an intelligence agency documenting identities of the protestors.

And yes, I am taking my family, including our three 10 to 15-year olds, for a family vacation to Egypt later this year (if we had to have stayed away from all the places that the State Department suggests to avoid, we wouldn’t have gone on half of our vacations). Thanks to the poor press that Egypt has been getting, the prices are much cheaper than ever before.

You might not be able to visit the Egyptian Museum, which is on Tahir square.

Also, if you must go, suggest taking an international cellphone, so you can call for help if you need it. Have the phone numbers for the local embassy, airline, etc.

Suggest staying with your tour group, don't wander off by yourself.

I think now the army is potentially involved, and there seems to be equal pro and anti government protestors that the situation can worsen at any time. I'd be surprised if the cruise lines weren't preparing for alternate stops.

Hopefully things will get resolved and not get out of hand.

I am sure the cruise lines will adjust accordingly if things do get out of hand.

If I was on a cruise right now and it stopped there I might not get off the ship and I have been to Egypt many times and am a very seasoned cruiser.

Keith

Hopefully things will get resolved and not get out of hand.

I am sure the cruise lines will adjust accordingly if things do get out of hand.

If I was on a cruise right now and it stopped there I might not get off the ship and I have been to Egypt many times and am a very seasoned cruiser.

Keith

Four years ago our friends were on a cruise that was due to port in Syria. A couple of weeks before their cruise that port was cancelled. Obviously not going to happen for a while.

The issue I think is that many cruisers select these cruises to visit Egypt.

Two years ago, the cruise lines cancelled most calls on Egypt months in advance. Then the Arab Spring calmed down and they scrambled to put back on the stops in Egypt. Unfortunately, many passengers had cancelled and it was too late for them to rebook. Our ship sailed with about 75% of capacity. I think the cruise lines may be a little slower to cancel this time.

Two years ago, the cruise lines cancelled most calls on Egypt months in advance. Then the Arab Spring calmed down and they scrambled to put back on the stops in Egypt. Unfortunately, many passengers had cancelled and it was too late for them to rebook. Our ship sailed with about 75% of capacity. I think the cruise lines may be a little slower to cancel this time.

Our cruise itinerary, Sept 2011, was changed twice but we did eventually get to Egypt, Israel and to Athens, where there were also major problems. We felt safe enough on our overnight private tour but it was incredibly dirty everywhere and the hawkers were desperate.

When we were at the Sphinx last November, a fight broke out between some locals and everybody started running towards the scene. It was a scary sight and seeing the mass was definitely frightening. As foreigners you wouldn't want to be caught at the wrong place at that split second.

I was in Egypt just prior to the revolution on other political matters. Do not think for a second that you are in any way way protected by the police or military or heck, even the US Embassy if you get caught up in any altercations in Egypt, especially when there are travel warnings. I honestly and naively believed the US would have my back. What took place when we were there pales in comparison to what's going on now, and we were just a group of 1400 internationals. Today there sre hundreds of thousands demonstrating and clashing in the streets. While i fell in love with Egypt (history, people and food) and planned to return for more sightseeing, it will not be anytime in the near future.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My partner and I went to Luxor two years running a couple of years ago. We really loved it and have always wanted to go back, especially to Cairo and Alexandria. There is no way we would even think about it at the moment.

The British, Canadian and US Embassies have closed, so I wouldn't rely on them to protect me.

Last year we were on a cruise in the Caribbean and were scheduled to stop in Trinidad. The captain announced we were not going there as it wasn't safe and we went to St Vincents instead. We found out later there was some kind of demonstration taking place Therefore, the cruise companies will be rescheduling their itineraries.

It's disappointing not being able to visit a place that you have always wanted to see, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Having just watched the news I can't see things improving in the near future.

The Australian embassy remains open but they have upgraded their advisory. That wouldn't necessarily stop us from going independently but I think the cruise lines would take note.

We were just in Egypt early May, 2013 at the end of our Regent Voyager cruise. It was peaceful then but our guide informed us that to expect another revolution in June when the gasoline price supports were removed. The people were unhappy with the economy, Morsi, etc. Most of the people want freedom, not a religious state. He was on target & we hope it is a peaceful transition. The people we met were wonderful. PS we tried to get into Egypt 2+ years earlier & at the last minute our ship was diverted elsewhere. Hopefully, the cruise lines are carefully monitoring the situation.

I was in Egypt just prior to the revolution on other political matters. Do not think for a second that you are in any way way protected by the police or military or heck, even the US Embassy if you get caught up in any altercations in Egypt, especially when there are travel warnings. I honestly and naively believed the US would have my back. What took place when we were there pales in comparison to what's going on now, and we were just a group of 1400 internationals. Today there sre hundreds of thousands demonstrating and clashing in the streets. While i fell in love with Egypt (history, people and food) and planned to return for more sightseeing, it will not be anytime in the near future.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would say close to a million demonstrators. No one with any sense would go anywhere near Egypt right now. I believe there will be fighting in the next 48 hours if the president doesn't step down.

Archived