Where to stay in Galveston??

Looking on different hotels and really just want something clean and COLD the night before our big cruise! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

You'll probably find more in the ports section of this board. But, if you just want clean, cold and friendly.... I suggest Fairfield Inn in Texas City. You'll get good prices and it's about 20 minutes from the dock.

Well, in the category of free cruise parking, but no shuttle, Econo Lodge is right near sea wall and often $40 for a king bed and I heard good things about it. I got Quality Inn and Suites for $5 more last January so changed to that. Howard Johnson's isnt in a fun area like the sea wall, but there is a cruise parking lot across the street who for $5 pp will take you too and from the port. You park at Howard Johnson's for free and put a sign on your windshield. The $5 shuttle across the street is good. In the $99 and up range Holiday Inn has both cruise parking and a shuttle.

We are staying at the Best Western on the seawall on our next cruise. Booked it online for 50.00 a night with free cruise parking. We have also stayed at Gaido's seaside inn on the seawall. It is very reasonable also and you can park for free there also. Most places on the seawall offer free cruise parking and some offer a shuttle to and from the hotel. Usually those are a little pricier. :)

We stayed at the Best Western...OK hotel...booked an "oceanview" room but when we got there were told there were none available, even though we paid a bit more for it...oh well...what can you do??? Free shuttle to the port and free parking (we drove to Galveston)...

Not sure when you are sailing but the summer rates are high!!!! I just looked at Galveston .com and for a Sat night even the 2 star motels are averaging $200. I would try price line and put in 3 1/2 star for $75 and see what happens. This works best the week of, not too far off.

Looking on different hotels and really just want something clean and COLD the night before our big cruise! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

I always stay at the Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites (TXB22)

5755 Bayport Blvd, Seabrook, TX, US, 77586

Phone: (281) 291-9090Fax: (281) 291-909

It's very affordable, and fairly new, Free FULL breakfast, not continental, & only about a 15-20 min drive to the terminal.

K...I just gotta ask..If you live in Beaumont,and are cruising from Galveston,why are you spending the night in Seabrook? Not being ugly,just very curious to me lol:D

I graduated from Nederland and live there till I was 24...Good ole Golden Triangle

K...I just gotta ask..If you live in Beaumont,and are cruising from Galveston,why are you spending the night in Seabrook? Not being ugly,just very curious to me lol:D

I graduated from Nederland and live there till I was 24...Good ole Golden Triangle

LOL, no I do not spend the night out there when cruising! Whenever I go to Galveston or Kemah area for a weekend getaway I stay there. Seabrook, is just about halfway between Kemah and Galveston. It's centrally located... And yes, GOOD 'OLE GOLDEN TRIANGLE!!!!!

I stayed at Best Western sea wall; it was right near a grocery store that had wine and an ATM. Ate at a seafood place and took taxi and the driver gave me his number so I could call him when I wanted to come back to hotel. Don't remember about the shuttle to port, though if it was free

stayed at Best Western sea wall, there is a grocery store across from it with an ATM and wine. Ate at a seafood place; took taxi and driver gave me his number to call when I needed to come back to hotel. I can't remember if the shuttle to port was free or not

I got the Hotel Galvez on that William Shatner site for $100 and that's for this summer. They have a shuttle to and from the port. You pay for parking the one night you stay there but can leave your car there during the cruise for free

I was going to reply to your other post but it was moved. Even though the Commodore gets some bad reviews, we really like it. In fact, we were just there about 3 weeks ago for a couple of days.(no cruise) We go there a couple times a year.

The good: Great location on the seawall! Every room has a balcony overlooking the gulf. We bring binoculars and watch the boats and the pelicans dive bomb the fish.

If you like Mexican food there are two good restaurants on the seawall that we like. One night we go to one and the other night we go to the other. Totugas has outdoor seating and Salsas is within walking distance if you are so inclined...actually a pretty good walk. This last time I suggested we drive. They both have "Happy Hour and good margaritas.

The employees are really friendly.

The Commodore is just a block or so from Guidos if you like greasy seafood.

If you are cruising you can leave your car there free while on the cruise, but will need to pay cab fair to get to the port.

The Bad: The balconies that I have been on do show issues from one of the hurricanes. After staying here multiple times I don't fear that it will collapse any more.

The brick inner walls that some people don't like do not bother me.

The elevators are outside and very slow and not air conditioned. This is not a problem for us but just thought I would mention it. We only use it when dragging suitcases.

Three main areas to stay

On the Gulf. (Many)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens)

Downtown Historic District by Port - (Harbor House and Tremont)

see map for visual of Island

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... map

icon.gifGalveston Fun Map

A 35 x 11 inch, full-color, reliable caricature map that shows you everything fun to see and do, and the shortest route to get there!

Galveston Fun Map

OK, for all those that stayed at the Bestwestern on the seawall what did you pay? I see cruisin53 post that they booked it for $50 but the cheapest rates I can find is like $129.....so what gives? What am I doing wrong or was that a "special special" rate.

OK, for all those that stayed at the Bestwestern on the seawall what did you pay? I see cruisin53 post that they booked it for $50 but the cheapest rates I can find is like $129.....so what gives? What am I doing wrong or was that a "special special" rate.

Time of year and whether it's a busy tourist week (mardis gras, spring break, etc) makes a HUGE difference in Galveston hotel prices. If you're trying to book in summer it can be ridiculous, but great deals can be found in winter. I'd use priceline to try to nab a better deal. Do it close to when you'll be here. You won't necessarily get the best western, but you'll get a good hotel at a good price. That's unless you absolutely want the best western.

We were looking at booking it for our April cruise. But when I called they would not even give me a price for April 2011 as they said they do not have thier 2011 prices yet nor would they let me make a reservation. :confused: The only prices they would give me was the current price of $129. I certainlly like the $55 price better:D

We were looking at booking it for our April cruise. But when I called they would not even give me a price for April 2011 as they said they do not have thier 2011 prices yet nor would they let me make a reservation. :confused: The only prices they would give me was the current price of $129. I certainlly like the $55 price better:D

I'd wait a bit if I were you. You can usually get great deals in April. Much much better than $129. They won't sell out that time of year, so don't worry about waiting to make the reservation. The only big thing I can think of that happens in April is the Triathalon, which is usually the last weekend. But that isn't so huge an event that all hotels sell out or anything. It might inflate the price a little bit, but not much.

Archived