Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

All the passengers on our Holland America ship in the Med turned their passports in at the beginn7ng of the cruise. Also, they were kept on the boat diring our river cruise in Russia we were given a card that was all the identification we needed in Russia.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

All the passengers on our Holland America ship in the Med turned their passports in at the beginn7ng of the cruise. Also, they were kept on the boat diring our river cruise in Russia we were given a card that was all the identification we needed in Russia.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

they didn't take mine on any TA.I'm guessing if your visiting controversial ports like Russia they may need to? I'm sure NCL usually recommends you take the passport onshore for ID purposes.

they didn't take mine on any TA.I'm guessing if your visiting controversial ports like Russia they may need to? I'm sure NCL usually recommends you take the passport onshore for ID purposes.

The person you're replying to was talking about being on a river cruise in Russia, not on an ocean-going cruise ship making a port call. If they had been on a cruise ship they would have been required to carry their passport with them while ashore. It has nothing to do with cruise line preferences or "controversial ports"...it's the Russian government's laws and regulations that govern the situation.

Having been on many, many NCL cruises, I can tell you you are absolutely wrong. The only time NCL recommends taking your passport ashore is when you are required to by the particular country you're visiting. At all other times they advise taking a photo ID, such as a drivers license ashore.

The person you're replying to was talking about being on a river cruise in Russia, not on an ocean-going cruise ship making a port call. If they had been on a cruise ship they would have been required to carry their passport with them while ashore. It has nothing to do with cruise line preferences or "controversial ports"...it's the Russian government's laws and regulations that govern the situation.

Having been on many, many NCL cruises, I can tell you you are absolutely wrong. The only time NCL recommends taking your passport ashore is when you are required to by the particular country you're visiting. At all other times they advise taking a photo ID, such as a drivers license ashore.

On the European cruises, and on the transatlantics for both stops at Miami (from new Orleans) and European ports it says on the dailies I have kept 'don't forget to take your passport ashore'. I know people opt to not take the passport ashore and to stick with photo ID, but if its on the daily I would always carry it ashore.

On the European cruises, and on the transatlantics for both stops at Miami (from new Orleans) and European ports it says on the dailies I have kept 'don't forget to take your passport ashore'. I know people opt to not take the passport ashore and to stick with photo ID, but if its on the daily I would always carry it ashore.

That's fine, but not representative of the vast majority of NCL itineraries, where you are merely advised to take photo ID ashore. (and among the NCL cruises I've taken are transatlantic and European itineraries, as well as many of the "garden variety" Caribbean, Bermuda , Canadian and Mexican cruises originating in US ports).

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

When we cruised to Europe it was suggested to us to make a copy of our passports and our licenses and keep them in separate places so if one was lost or stolen there was the back up copy or original with all the info. I always travel with all these documents now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Ever hear of needing a passport, AND a visa? I just booked a trip on NCL's Gem, going to Fla, GSC, and bahamas. They sent me my confirmation, and said that I may need a visa, as well as a PP. It seems strange to me. Maybe it pertains to non-US pax. I have up to Sept to look into it. Anyone hear anything like this??:confused: R.A.

Ever hear of needing a passport, AND a visa? I just booked a trip on NCL's Gem, going to Fla, GSC, and bahamas. They sent me my confirmation, and said that I may need a visa, as well as a PP. It seems strange to me. Maybe it pertains to non-US pax. I have up to Sept to look into it. Anyone hear anything like this??:confused: R.A.

US citizens don't need a visa for that itinerary. (in fact US citizens don't even need a passport for that itinerary, which is a closed loop cruise from NY City...they can take that cruise with an official government-issued birth certificate and a photo ID).

The reference to possibly needing a visa is about citizens of countries other than the US.

Edited by njhorseman

One of my coworkers is going on a cruise next month to the Bahamas, she is taking her 10 yr old and 15 yr old. I asked her did she get passports she said no she doesn't need them only the birth certificates. Is this true?:rolleyes::confused:

One of my coworkers is going on a cruise next month to the Bahamas, she is taking her 10 yr old and 15 yr old. I asked her did she get passports she said no she doesn't need them only the birth certificates. Is this true?:rolleyes::confused:

US citizens on a closed loop (this means the cruise starts and ends in the same US port) Western Hemisphere cruise do not need passports to leave or enter the US, nor does the Bahamas require them to have a passport.

Official birth certificates (issued by a governmental agency, not by a hospital), plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license for anyone age 16 and older, are all that is required. In other words your co-worker needs her birth certificate and a photo ID and her children need only their birth certificates. (This all assumes everyone was born in the US. If they are naturalized citizens they need their naturalization certificate rather than a BC. If they were US citizens at birth but born outside the US they need a consular report of birth abroad rather than a BC.)

The only possible downside of not having a passport is if you need to fly home in an emergency or other reason you would not be able to do so without a passport and you'd be stuck in a foreign country for a while until you could get a passport issued.

Note: Your coworker should also check with her cruise line as some impose more stringent rules than those required by law.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

Save the money....If the cruise starts and ends in a US port and you are American..NO passport needed. Just Birth Certif, and Photo Id ( drivers license). Sailed on lots of cruises in Caribbean, never had a problem. Passports are too costly for families....and if you do the close loop..Save the Money. Do you want to drop $$$$ on what " might happen"? Same idea as ingrown toenail insurance...You can always find that 1 in a million that has a problem..but for most...No Problema!

On our cruise trip to Israel, we will be visiting Bethlehem, do we need to bring our US passport when we cross the border? Or is a photocopy of US passport acceptable? Please advise. Thanks.

If you are crossing a border they will undoubtedly want your actual passport.

On our cruise trip to Israel, we will be visiting Bethlehem, do we need to bring our US passport when we cross the border? Or is a photocopy of US passport acceptable? Please advise. Thanks.

A photocopy of a passport is not a valid form of ID anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Save the money....If the cruise starts and ends in a US port and you are American..NO passport needed. Just Birth Certif, and Photo Id ( drivers license). Sailed on lots of cruises in Caribbean, never had a problem. Passports are too costly for families....and if you do the close loop..Save the Money. Do you want to drop $$$$ on what " might happen"? Same idea as ingrown toenail insurance...You can always find that 1 in a million that has a problem..but for most...No Problema!

Please read back in the thread. Some cruise lines (primarily the premium and luxury ones) require a passport of ALL passengers on ALL itineraries. You can't just go on what the involved govt. agencies of the countries in question state.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

As an Aussie getting ready to embark on a cruise that leaves Miami, and covers the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico and Canada, can any other Aussies who have done a similar trip please confirm if any other visas other than the ESTA required by the US will be required to be obtained by us before leaving home?

It was my understanding that as the cruise starts and finishes in the States, then the ESTA will be all that we need...but I don't want to wait until the last minute to find out that is not true.

Thanks in advance :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest zafra63
As an Aussie getting ready to embark on a cruise that leaves Miami, and covers the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico and Canada, can any other Aussies who have done a similar trip please confirm if any other visas other than the ESTA required by the US will be required to be obtained by us before leaving home?

It was my understanding that as the cruise starts and finishes in the States, then the ESTA will be all that we need...but I don't want to wait until the last minute to find out that is not true.

Thanks in advance :)

Only Esta is needed, came back from Full Transit Panama Canal last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birth certificate with raised seal is ok

And to which post are you responding...because your answer is correct for certain passengers on certain cruises (US citizens on closed loop Western Hemisphere cruises, provided the cruise line itself doesn't impose a more stringent requirement such as a passport) but it's incorrect for anyone else.

Edited by njhorseman