Snorkling without excursion

shykitten

Do or don't? Best places on/off island? Independent operators? Savings vs pitfalls?

We have always gone on our own here. In fact what we are doing in January (on the Valor) is taking a taxi to Payne's Bay ($10 p/p) then getting a boat to take us from the beach out to the sea turtles. Usually you can get a price of about $20-25 per person and that incudes swimming with the turtles and then over a shipwreck (about 2 hours) You actually can go on your own to the turtles if you are a reasonably decent swimmer (about 70-80 yds off shore) You can just go where the groups are.

I agree with the last poster and have done this same thing. However, be warned that the vendors at Payne's Bay Beach are ruthless in their pursuit to drain your wallet. I'll be in Barbados on my next cruise and will likely opt for a catamaran excursion or even an excursion to a private beach. I find the constant and pushy sales pitches (rent a chair, rent an umbrella, purchase an excursion, buy food, buy jewelry, get a massage....it's endless) annoying and exhausting.

We've had pretty good snorkeling at the reef in front of the Tiki Bar at the south end of Rockley Beach. If you get there in the morning, you'll probably see turtles at that reef.

It's straight out from the Tiki Bar about 150 yards out.

Here are pics we took back in 2010. Most of the turtle pics were taken at Rockley. Some were taken at Carlisle Bay...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=fbb241f817

Cheers, P:)

• 4 weeks later...

We've been to Folkestone Marine Preserve, too, and loved it. There were only a couple other people there. Plus they have a lifeguard, gift shop, snack shop, and bathroom and outdoor showers. I didn't see chairs to rent, but they do have pic nic tables in the shade. Next time we're in Barbados we'll go there again!

Thank you! One more question. One member of our party doesn't have gear. A few others aren't strong swimmers. I remember using life vests. I don't care to use one again, but the others might. Can you rent just vests?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

We've had pretty good snorkeling at the reef in front of the Tiki Bar at the south end of Rockley Beach. If you get there in the morning, you'll probably see turtles at that reef.

It's straight out from the Tiki Bar about 150 yards out.

Here are pics we took back in 2010. Most of the turtle pics were taken at Rockley. Some were taken at Carlisle Bay...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=fbb241f817

Cheers, P:)

Thanks for the information about the turtles at Rockley. I am going to be staying there for several days in November. How early in the morning do you have to be in the water to see the turtles? I am really looking forward to snorkel this reef after reading your post. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We have always gone on our own here. In fact what we are doing in January (on the Valor) is taking a taxi to Payne's Bay ($10 p/p) then getting a boat to take us from the beach out to the sea turtles. Usually you can get a price of about $20-25 per person and that incudes swimming with the turtles and then over a shipwreck (about 2 hours) You actually can go on your own to the turtles if you are a reasonably decent swimmer (about 70-80 yds off shore) You can just go where the groups are.

I am also thinking about doing the snorkeling on our own because doing the catamaran would be pricey for us.

How far is Payne's Bay from the port? Is it easy to catch a taxi at port? We would need a van because thete will be 7 of us.