shower chair

Gritsknb

Im taking my mom on the carnival fascination in nov. and she has issues standing for more then 5-6 mins at a time. Ive already got her a wheelchair and a moddified room with bars in the bathroom. But was wondering about a shower chair. Does anyone know if they have any on board or do I need to rent one?

Im taking my mom on the carnival fascination in nov. and she has issues standing for more then 5-6 mins at a time. Ive already got her a wheelchair and a moddified room with bars in the bathroom. But was wondering about a shower chair. Does anyone know if they have any on board or do I need to rent one?

Most cruise lines have Shower chairs available for passenger use on a first come first served basis free of charge. Contact the special needs department of the cruise line and have the request noted in your booking recorded. Than once on board if the chair has not been pre-delivered to the cabin contact your cabin stewart and he/she will get on for you.

Just a couple of thoughts about this.

The flip down wall mounted seats have no arm rests and can be a little scary, esp. if you don't have good balance, are very short, or there are rough seas.

The loaner chairs from the cruise lines also are usually just a shower stool...again, with no armrests and may or not be adjustable in height.

When my mother was still able to stand to transfer, we often just "stole" a ship's pool-side plastic chair and put it in the shower. These work great as they are a good height, fit in most shower stalls, and have armrests which help with balance and also standing and sitting. Consider this if neither of the other two options work well for her.

That pool side plastic chair is a good idea if you can stand to transfer. It would be difficult to do a side slide or transfer board transfer with arms. We have been working with the acessibility manager to have the grab bars behind the shower seats removed. We were a little disapointed when we got on the oasis and they were on there. I bring my own nut driver and screw driver and remove them and put them back on before I leave. There is adequate room without that bar and it serves no purpose. If you run into that problem call the desk and try to have it removed if they do it put it on your evaluation card. If they don't put a complaint in writing. I know they read every one. We will be on the Jewel Sat. and I know they have been done.

Archived