Do the cruise lines screen for sexual offenders?

Calgon1

While most states/countries require registered sexual offenders to have any travel approved by their probation officer, or an equivalent monitor; unfortunately too many offenders do not follow their guidelines.

My question: Do the cruise lines screen passengers to identify registered offenders? And, and if so, are they denied passage?

I doubt it. If the pax's home jurisdiction is restricting the pax's travel due to some conviction, that is not the responsibility of the cruise line. Nor is it the cruise line's responsibility to check criminal backgrounds. If you have the correct ID- passport for example- you are free to travel.

They will run names and determine if a risk is involved, i,e, still on probation, type of offense, etc.

No, they won't. However, CBP, using the passenger manifest prepared at embarkation, will screen passengers for outstanding warrants among other things, but I don't think they check for registered sex offenders. And nothing will be done until the ship arrives back in the US for disembarkation, as neither CBP nor the FBI have any jurisdiction onboard the ship outside US waters, unless a felony was committed against a US citizen.

While most states/countries require registered sexual offenders to have any travel approved by their probation officer, or an equivalent monitor; unfortunately too many offenders do not follow their guidelines.

My question: Do the cruise lines screen passengers to identify registered offenders? And, and if so, are they denied passage?

The only restriction on travel would be if the person was on active parole or probation.

I think the only screening they do is to make certain that the final payment credit card charge gets approved and the credi card hold amount on boarding is also approved.

Besides, the number of offenders on these lists only represents less than 20 percent of offenders.

Edited by iancal

Why are you worrying about this? Instances are so rare that it can hardly be considered an issue.

1) Because I'm in law enforcement, and am all too aware of the predatory nature of offenders.

2) Because we're taking our grand-daughters and grand-sons on a cruise, and feel some degree of responsibility to ensire that they are in a safe environment.

3) Because I want to know which cruise lines, if any, are being pro-active in protecting their customers/passengers/crew.

And, are instances "so rare", or is their reporting that is rare? Do you have any sources for your "so rare" allegation? I would imagine it would be considered "an issue" if it happened to yourself, or a loved one.

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I can't spell.

Just curious. Does Disneyland screen all entrants for sex crime convictions? Would seem reasonable given the population at the park. If Disneyland doesn't, should cruise lines?

We have the answer from a regular contributor who is a cruise line employee (chengkp75). I seriously doubt the cruise lines are getting into the business of background checks on their passengers. That would be millions per year.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If the children are with you at all times this should not be a problem

However I have seen little people allowed to run back to the cabin & ride the elevators alone

I often wonder "what are their parents thinking"

Predators take vacations too

What does a predator look like ??

What? No one believes or trusts Senator Rockefeller's "landmark" Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act that mandates reporting all criminal acts that happen on cruise ships that embark passengers in the US? Really? You mean that grandstanding legislation has no ability to affect foreign ships?

Most cruise line crew are screened by their local police in the home country, not by US law enforcement, why would the cruise lines screen passengers. There is nothing in the ticket contract that precludes criminal activity of any kind that is not done onboard, as a condition that would prevent boarding.

Again, I emphasize that the cruise lines are not US corporations, nor are the ships US flag or US territory.

You may find this link interesting though it does not specifically address your question: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Major-Cruise-Lines-Begin-Posting-Crime-Stats-218041301.html

1) Because I'm in law enforcement, and am all too aware of the predatory nature of offenders.

2) Because we're taking our grand-daughters and grand-sons on a cruise, and feel some degree of responsibility to ensire that they are in a safe environment.

3) Because I want to know which cruise lines, if any, are being pro-active in protecting their customers/passengers/crew.

And, are instances "so rare", or is their reporting that is rare? Do you have any sources for your "so rare" allegation? I would imagine it would be considered "an issue" if it happened to yourself, or a loved one.

I would recommend that you use the same caution that you would use at any resort when it comes to your grandchildren's safety.

if "you" are in law enforcement I'd expect you understand the basic details of jurisdiction

and you might want to expand your knowledge in that area as it applies to the world of maritime law.

HINT .... that flag state painted on the stern and the flag flown has BIG meaning on a ship . . . overlapping jurisdictions, sovereignty and treaties just scratches the surface . .

We had a similar thread not too long ago from a single lady, traveling alone, that was also concerned for her safety aboard. It prompted a lively discussion supported by more crime statistics than you would ever care to read.

We all like to think that we are totally safe from bad things while we are on vacation. As somebody has also pointed out, bad people also take vacations. At the end of the day, a cruise ship is no different than a vacation at Disneyland/Disney World or any other significant family vacation destination. They don’t screen everybody that buys an entry ticket and you should assume that there are predators aboard ship. Too often parent turn their kids loose aboard ship and believe that it is the safest place on earth.

As for reporting things that happen on cruise ships . . . there is a lawyer out there that has a special axe to grind with the cruise industry. His web site catalogs just about every sneeze, sniffle, heart attack, sexual assault, missing person or other event that would show how inherently unsafe a vacation aboard a cruise ship is. In his eyes, sky diving without a backup chute into a school of hungy white sharks would be a safer activity than setting foot on a cruise ship.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

And do you have any sources for your assumption that it is such a major issue that you need to worry about it?

Edited by boogs