Union discount

seekatz

Has anyone received a teacher union discount? I am CTA and NEA. I faxed in my card, and my request has been declined. Thanks for your help.

I know I read here that someone had gotten it...I have not tried myself...(as I am a retired teacher..and no longer belong to teachers union)

Did you try a search on this forum???

Has anyone received a teacher union discount? I am CTA and NEA. I faxed in my card, and my request has been declined. Thanks for your help.

In order to qualify the union has to be part of AFL-CIO. I am not familiar with CTA and NEA, but if they are part of the other, you should qualify.

Thanks for the information. saw some teachers had received it, but must have been part of a different union. Anyone else able to clarify.

Discounts are for AFL-CIO unions only.

One of the teachers' unions is AFT, American Federation of Teachers. AFT is part of AFL-CIO, so these teachers would have been able to receive the discount.

I am a retired teacher and AFT (American Federation of Teachers) is not active in my area since we are not unionized. However to get the cruise discount, I discovered on the AFT site http://www.aft.org/about/join.htm I could join as a basic associate member for $30/school year or $50/two school years. I called AFT at 202/879-4400 and was able to enroll immediately. Then I contacted my TA and got around $700 off our 1/2009 cruise even though I had already gotten a nice OBC and reduction in fare just a couple of weeks ago with the CLIA sale. Our $50 investment yesterday really paid off for us!

• 2 months later...

Just did a check on my union.

5% Discounts apply to all AFL-CIO Union Members, including CSEA.

What is nice, if the passenger is both a senior and an Union Member, he/she can apply the 5% discount on top of the Senior Rate if available.

Nice perk!

Teamsters Union does NOT get the discount. Teamsters split from the AFL-CIO a few years back. I get the discount because I'm SEIU but mom doesn't and she's a Teamster. We usually sail together but she doesn't qualify for the discount on her own. Just an FYI for the Teamster poster.

Thanks for the clarification. I did a little research, the Teamsters broke away from the AFL-CIO in 2005.

Thanks for the clarification. I did a little research, the Teamsters broke away from the AFL-CIO in 2005.

Behind the AFL-CIO affiliated unions the second largest union is Teamsters. Really stinks that they broke away because it hurt quite a few perks for mom that I still get. I think the reason why it's AFL-CIO affiliated union is because of the seaman's union onboard the NCL America product but then again I could be wrong. :cool: You're welcome! :)

Thanks everyone for the information provided on this thread, I was able to get a 25% discount off the base fare for my April 2009, sailing of the Norwegian Jewel. That was also combined with the current OBC promotion. CruiseCritic and its members are the BEST !! :)

Be careful if NCL told you your union or ship didn't qualify. I am part of the NY state teachers union. Union Plus has the deal with NCL and it says it also recognizes any labor union affiliated with the AFL-CIO. I looked on NCL website and found the list of cruises with discounts and ours (Jewel 10/30/09) is 20%. I called my TA and they called back and said NCL said our cruise wasn't part of the deal. I told her that I had the website list in front of me from NCL that has our cruise right on the top. She said, let me call back and get a different person. She called back and said I spoke to someone else and no problem, you got the discount. We are four in an ocean view cabin (we have 2 kids) and it saved us about $252.00, that's not bad. The 20% applies to cruise fare only and on the first two people in the room. So call back and get someone else if you have a problem. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Archived