Change to water at dinner and all inclusive.

Will_Dieterich

Not seen this mentioned, so figured to bring it up.

For dinner they no longer provide water for free. After asking around the reason was that after all the cruise sickness happened Costa made the decision to not provide non-bottled water. After the first dinner I saw plenty of people bringing water bottles into the dining room.

Also as part of this they no longer provide water bottles as part of the all-inclusive deal, glasses of bottled water are in the program.

Not seen this mentioned, so figured to bring it up.

For dinner they no longer provide water for free. After asking around the reason was that after all the cruise sickness happened Costa made the decision to not provide non-bottled water. After the first dinner I saw plenty of people bringing water bottles into the dining room.

Also as part of this they no longer provide water bottles as part of the all-inclusive deal, glasses of bottled water are in the program.

No doubt it is me but if they can provide glasses of bottled water during the day why can't they provide it at the dinner table ? Or have I misunderstood ?

On a German message board I read that on some ships there´s no ice water anymore for dinner (the tap water in pitchers) and you only get bottled water which you have to pay for. Others report that there is still free ice water. Same with the nightly cabin service. Some still have a full cabin service, others only have a turn down service (pool towels are exchanged but not the regular ones). Seems like it varies from ship to ship.

steamboats

On a German message board I read that on some ships there´s no ice water anymore for dinner (the tap water in pitchers) and you only get bottled water which you have to pay for. Others report that there is still free ice water. Same with the nightly cabin service. Some still have a full cabin service, others only have a turn down service (pool towels are exchanged but not the regular ones). Seems like it varies from ship to ship.

steamboats

No turn down??? :eek:

Dont care about water - but like my cabin tidied up of an evening and fresh towels for the next morning... huh???

Three weeks ago on neoRomantica, there was free ice water at dinner, however, free coffee was only served at breakfast. This would be consistent with the bars, which you can get a glass of water on request but have to pay for coffee. I also had no problem at all with turn down and towels being changed (remember that if you hang up the towels, they're not supposed to be changed). I was on Luminosa in February, there was both free water and free coffee with dinner.

I'm still waiting to hear what ships and sailings, with an unequivocal statement this was the poster's personal experience.

Edited by Dancer Bob

On the neoRiviera the turn down service consisted only in

- beds readied for the night (we did have a pullman bed too)

- pool towels replaced

Regular towels haven´t been replaced (although they were lying on the floor). No towel animals either.

We haven´t been offered any coffee after dinner and I didn´t ask for it. So I can´t say anything about it - Anyway we did have the package so I had a cappuccino in the bar some nights.

Costa is changing a lot right now and they are trying out different things and wait for the responses by the passengers. So use your comment cards (also online) to tell them what you expect as a passenger.

steamboats

It was on the Pacifica.

For some of the other items mentioned:

Pool towels were now in the room instead of having a stack at the pool, changed if I hung or put on floor.

Towels changed.

There was no auto delivery of ice to the room however most days were rather cold, would not of used. There was an card asking if you wanted ice to tell customer service.

There were towel animals on Luminosa and I think I remember some on neoRom. I don't use ice, there was no automatic delivery on neoRom but I don't remember if there was a sign.

Just realised I haven't gotten on online comment card. I didn't put in my email address but I get lots of Costa spam so they definitely have it already. Still travelling in Europe, will have to give them a call when I get back.

We were on the Costa Serena at the beginning of this month and I was refused a jug (or even a glass) of water at dinner.So I filled a bottle in the buffet during the day, put it in our mini bar and when my husband bought a pre-dinner beer in a bar asked for a glass of ice and took the water and ice into dinner with me. Its my policy not to buy bottled water in places where the tap water is fit to drink. An extra annoyance was that the beverage machines in the buffet were shut down at 5pm so no free coffee, tea or water after that time. This was our first and probably our last cruise with Costa.

Seriously :eek:

Why not just buy some water??

I just dont get all this "right to free water" thing.

Maybe as I have a business - but I see Costa has a business to run, and at the amazing prices they offer for their cruises and their drinks packages, I can totally get why they wont want to offer free water.

Costa - base price = cheap - drinks = cheap -

For goodness sake

BUY SOME WATER PEOPLE!!

Filling bottles - :rolleyes: good grief!!!

Nah - I just do not get this one bit..

Tap water by the glass btw is not FREE - someone has to wash and dry the glass, put it away, and serve it to you. That is not a free commodity.

On cruiselines where the base price is high, of course it can be swallowed - but when costas margin is so minimal - I can see exactly why they are not encouraging free jugs of water.

Just buy a bloomin bottle of water!!! Or go pay twice the price for another cruise line and get a free jug of water!!!

Edited by Blondie008

How rude is this last post!

Not as rude as filling water bottles from a buffet :eek:

Welcome to CC where we have the right to speak our mind.

I personally think the right to free water is wrong.

MY opinion

YOU are entitled to yours

and note

I refrained from quoting you - but hey, if the shoe fits.

So I filled a bottle in the buffet during the day,

I believe that in the buffet only the cups / glasses that are provided should be used. Filling a bottle that could have been previously used, could cause an outbreak of Novovirus, then of course Costa and the crew are to blame for having a "dirty ship".

Ron

I didn't fill the bottle directly from the water dispenser but from a clean glass. I am very aware of the possibility of being sick on a cruise ship particularly on Costa where virtually no-one used the hand sanitizers - that is if you could find any. Buying bottled water is very damaging to the environment - all those millions and millions of plastic bottles roaming round the earth and is totally unnecessary in first world countries where tap water is safe to drink,

I didn't fill the bottle directly from the water dispenser but from a clean glass. I am very aware of the possibility of being sick on a cruise ship particularly on Costa where virtually no-one used the hand sanitizers - that is if you could find any. Buying bottled water is very damaging to the environment - all those millions and millions of plastic bottles roaming round the earth and is totally unnecessary in first world countries where tap water is safe to drink,

Ive always found Costa to have exceptional standards of hygiene.

And for sure, stations of hand sanitizers widely available AND used.

Costa score higher than many other cruiselines

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2024895

They also have a very high rating for their Green policy. Re cycling of plastic bottles for sure. Am sure someone else will remind me how Costa recycle the plastic waste and to what use?

Costa advertises that "meals" are included. Why is water not part of a meal, but tableware and tablecloths are?

I think both sides are making good points here, but I agree, Costa has just about the cleanest and healthiest ships I travel on.

Free water is perhaps a cultural thing.

In Australia there are laws pertaining to free water. By law a venue that is selling alcohol must provide free tap water - this is generally offered via a jug of water at a bar, with glasses or a self serve water cooler with glasses. In a restaurant it is usually either a jug to the table or individual glasses served at the table.

This law does not pertain to venues that are not selling alcohol- such as fast food places.

I guess that it may come down to the laws that pertain to the ship.

Seriously :eek:

Why not just buy some water??

I just dont get all this "right to free water" thing.

Maybe as I have a business - but I see Costa has a business to run, and at the amazing prices they offer for their cruises and their drinks packages, I can totally get why they wont want to offer free water.

Costa - base price = cheap - drinks = cheap -

For goodness sake

BUY SOME WATER PEOPLE!!

Filling bottles - :rolleyes: good grief!!!

Nah - I just do not get this one bit..

Tap water by the glass btw is not FREE - someone has to wash and dry the glass, put it away, and serve it to you. That is not a free commodity.

On cruiselines where the base price is high, of course it can be swallowed - but when costas margin is so minimal - I can see exactly why they are not encouraging free jugs of water.

Just buy a bloomin bottle of water!!! Or go pay twice the price for another cruise line and get a free jug of water!!!

Sorry, I have to disagree. If I didn't pay a cruise fare, somehow walked on the ship, and expected a glass of water, then I agree they should charge. I don't think getting tap water at dinner is some huge cost for Costa or too much to ask when one has paid several thousand upfront. Bottled water, of course, I would expect a charge. Personally, I find this ridiculous.

Some have brought up that it is cultural thing, which may be the case. If so, then why not have to pay to use a public restroom onboard? Someone has to clean it, so that costs them money. Maybe even charge to use my stateroom restroom? There could be a place to swipe a credit card before the bathroom door will open. Someone has to clean that too. Another cost. Perhaps,they should charge for ketchup and mustard for a hamburger? There is a cost there as well.

After cruising numerous times throughout the world on Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and RCL, why would I ever want to cruise on this line if they won't include a glass of water at dinner? If I were Costa, I would worry more about keeping their ships above water, than charging their customers for a drink of it.

Edited by jmkennett

Sorry, I have to disagree. If I didn't pay a cruise fare, somehow walked on the ship, and expected a glass of water, then I agree they should charge. I don't think getting tap water at dinner is some huge cost for Costa or too much to ask when one has paid several thousand upfront. Bottled water, of course, I would expect a charge. Personally, I find this ridiculous.

Some have brought up that it is cultural thing, which may be the case. If so, then why not have to pay to use a public restroom onboard? Someone has to clean it, so that costs them money. Maybe even charge to use my stateroom restroom? There could be a place to swipe a credit card before the bathroom door will open. Someone has to clean that too. Another cost. Perhaps,they should charge for ketchup and mustard for a hamburger? There is a cost there as well.

After cruising numerous times throughout the world on Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and RCL, why would I ever want to cruise on this line if they won't include a glass of water at dinner? If I were Costa, I would worry more about keeping their ships above water, than charging their customers for a drink of it.

Why dont just buy the All inclusive beverages? That way the 'issue' is solved too.

You clearly dont cruise Costa

Costa fares are several hundred not thousands

Cruiselines such as these -Celebrity, Hal etc initial base per day cruise cost is MUCH more than Costa

Costa is a no frills cruiseline

Unless travelling in a suite - its a good value bargain -(well actually suites are still a bargain) line.

If anyone whinges about the cost of water on a costa cruise they need their head examined.

Or would they rather pay "thousands" more ££S basic price - and get free water?

Or - buy the drinks package and get unlimited alcoholic drinks free with your glass of water!

You clearly dont cruise Costa

Costa fares are several hundred not thousands

Cruiselines such as these -Celebrity, Hal etc initial base per day cruise cost is MUCH more than Costa

Costa is a no frills cruiseline

Unless travelling in a suite - its a good value bargain -(well actually suites are still a bargain) line.

If anyone whinges about the cost of water on a costa cruise they need their head examined.

Or would they rather pay "thousands" more ££S basic price - and get free water?

Or - buy the drinks package and get unlimited alcoholic drinks free with your glass of water!

You are correct, I have not sailed on Costa, however, I have sailed on 44 other cruises on the lines I've listed, including NCL and Carnival, so I'm aware of lower priced lines. Water is a most basic necessity in life. So, not including a drink of it at dinner is absurb. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm not trying to bash Costa, as I'm sure they do a lot of things well. This just exudes cheap and nickel and diming.

While overall, Costa may be a less expensive, it is not so dramatic that they cannot include a glass of water. Again, why not charge for going to the restroom? That is done all over Europe. Same with ketchup at a McDonalds in Europe.

Not sure what sailings you are looking at, but Costa is priced fairly close to other lines on a lot of sailings. When comparing at 12 night on Princess in Northern Europe to Costa, Costa is lower (not enough to not include water).

However, I randomly picked a 7 night Caribbean (Feb 15) on Costa, Carnival, and HAL, for a mid range balcony cabin, for two people, showing total cost. Costa (Costa Magica) is $2574, Carnival (Carnival Valor) is $2030, and HAL (Nieuw Amsterdam) is $2632. Clearly, Costa is not hundreds of dollars, but is a couple thousand, and only a few dollars cheaper than HAL. Carnival is over $500 less.

I also priced a seven night out of Barcelona in July (mid range balcony). Costa (Costa Fascinosa) is $4458, NCL (Epic) is $3486, and Celebirty (Equinox) is $4022. Again, Costa is not only not cheaper, it is the most expensive option.

Not sure where you are sailing or what ships, but the idea that Costa is thousands cheaper than the other lines is really not the case, at least on these cruises. Maybe for the really old Costa ships, yes, but it's probably the same on the older Carnival and NCL ships as well.

You are correct, I have not sailed on Costa, however, I have sailed on 44 other cruises on the lines I've listed, including NCL and Carnival, so I'm aware of lower priced lines. Water is a most basic necessity in life. So, not including a drink of it at dinner is absurb. I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm not trying to bash Costa, as I'm sure they do a lot of things well. This just exudes cheap and nickel and diming.

While overall, Costa may be a less expensive, it is not so dramatic that they cannot include a glass of water. Again, why not charge for going to the restroom? That is done all over Europe. Same with ketchup at a McDonalds in Europe.

Not sure what sailings you are looking at, but Costa is priced fairly close to other lines on a lot of sailings. When comparing at 12 night on Princess in Northern Europe to Costa, Costa is lower (not enough to not include water).

However, I randomly picked a 7 night Caribbean (Feb 15) on Costa, Carnival, and HAL, for a mid range balcony cabin, for two people, showing total cost. Costa (Costa Magica) is $2574, Carnival (Carnival Valor) is $2030, and HAL (Nieuw Amsterdam) is $2632. Clearly, Costa is not hundreds of dollars, but is a couple thousand, and only a few dollars cheaper than HAL. Carnival is over $500 less.

I also priced a seven night out of Barcelona in July (mid range balcony). Costa (Costa Fascinosa) is $4458, NCL (Epic) is $3486, and Celebirty (Equinox) is $4022. Again, Costa is not only not cheaper, it is the most expensive option.

Not sure where you are sailing or what ships, but the idea that Costa is thousands cheaper than the other lines is really not the case, at least on these cruises. Maybe for the really old Costa ships, yes, but it's probably the same on the older Carnival and NCL ships as well.

Your pricing in US is clearly very different from ours.

On another note, I have 14 nights on NCL later in the year (and yes, I too have cruise all of the lines you mention)

I would swap my free water on NCL for Costas drinks package in a heartbeat. NCL is now 59dollars per day plus 15% as opposed to Costas 20 euro all in - a fraction of the price of NCL drinks package.

Perhaps thats what you are not taking into the equation. Costas drinks package. Its unbelievable - so cheap - for 7 days, I paid total £278 for both of us, and yes, that includes water. For non alcoholics - there are sodas, juices, mocktails etc included - honestly - its a total no brainer with Costa -

Happy sailing!