What souvenirs did you buy and from where?

CoolCanadian

If you are going to Mazatlan, there are several shops right at the terminal. My teenage daughters got some good souvenirs for their friends and silver bracelets there. We didn't exactly bargain, but when we didn't immediately agree to purchase something, the price usually went down.

There is a similar market in PV just outside the terminal, but we didn't spend much time there. We went into downtown PV and found some really nice shops near the cathedral and further south (within walking distance). Some sold just souvenir-type things, but others had nice art and craft items.

Just back from the MR and found the shopping to be better in Mazatlan than PV. If you are planning to buy something "Mexican" that can be found in all the ports, don't wait until Cabo! I found Cabo San Lucas to be the most expensive port, a blanket I found in Mazatlan for 5 dollars was 30 in Cabo!

It does seem like all the ports have the same merchandise. One thing that I found I had to hunt for was Dia de los muertos (Day of the dead) figurines. In Cabo they were very expensive but I thought they were a really nice souvenir reflecting a mexican tradition. In Mazatlan I paid about $6.00 for one figurine, and in Cabo they were asking about $17.00.

My group, (aging 19-24) had fun buying cowboy hats, just something fun to wear in the ports to keep the sun out of our faces. I don't know if we'll end up wearing them again, as not many people wear them here on the East Coast.

Bargaining went well, because they start very high. It was easy to get something down from $20.00 to $10.00, even if you can try to get $2.00 off a price, try it, they may say yes. Most merchants are there selling the same thing, and know that if you don't get it from them, you will get it from their neighbor.

Archived