Viking transfers for independent travelers?

janetcbl

Does anyone know if the transfer from airport to ship and/or ship to airport can be purchased separately if you have not used the Viking Air for your plane tickets?

Yes, we did that ourselves on a recent China trip with Viking.

I would suggest though that you also check local prices for what you need as although we used Viking for the initial transfer on arrival, it was easier and cheaper to make our own arrangements for the departure.

I second Mark T's comments.

We have found good private transportation in Bucharest & Budapest --> and have sourced a transfer in Prague for our upcoming cruise. All cheaper than the quoted transfer price from Viking.

We also plan to book Viking's transfers on arrival in China - and look for our own on the day we leave.

If you are unsure, you can wait to book - my most recent booking indicated we can book transfers up to 30 days before departure.

Fran

I suspect that we experienced a "one-off" but we could not purchase our pre-cruise transfer (CDG to Paris hotel) from Viking. We booked the pre-cruise tour and made our own flight arrangements (on points). Because we ended up coming in one day earlier, we were told that transfers were not available to us. It was fine with me because I had already found a less expensive alternative.

For post cruise, Viking wanted $60/person to get us from Nice to the airport which is something like less than 10 miles away. I believe a taxi for the two of us will be less expensive so will arrange that at the post cruise hotel.

You may want to do some research on CC and the internet to see if there are less expensive alternatives over the Viking transfers. For us, I don't want to be waiting about for other flights/people to arrive after our long travel day to get there. If you prefer going with Viking, that works too.

Enjoy your cruise!

I suspect that we experienced a "one-off" but we could not purchase our pre-cruise transfer (CDG to Paris hotel) from Viking. We booked the pre-cruise tour and made our own flight arrangements (on points). Because we ended up coming in one day earlier, we were told that transfers were not available to us. It was fine with me because I had already found a less expensive alternative.

For post cruise, Viking wanted $60/person to get us from Nice to the airport which is something like less than 10 miles away. I believe a taxi for the two of us will be less expensive so will arrange that at the post cruise hotel.

You may want to do some research on CC and the internet to see if there are less expensive alternatives over the Viking transfers. For us, I don't want to be waiting about for other flights/people to arrive after our long travel day to get there. If you prefer going with Viking, that works too.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you don't mind sharing, what was your alternative transportation from CDG to the hotel? Thanks for everyone's information.

If you don't mind sharing, what was your alternative transportation from CDG to the hotel? Thanks for everyone's information.

Not at all. I found it here on CC: http://www.shuttle-inter.com/. They were quite prompt in their response (but I booked them awfully early so that caused some confusion and multiple emails).

I don't have personal experience with them yet; we don't go until November.

Even the companies that include transfers will only do the transfer if you arrive & depart on the scheduled start/end dates of the trip (or any extensions booked through them...)

When we arrived in Nice, we took one of the buses that went from the airport to the train station. Our hotel was only a few blocks away from the train station - so that worked well for us. Very reasonably priced - with reasonable storage for luggage.

In Paris - with Avalon - the airport shuttle has a stop right outside the hotel door - so we took that to the airport. The proximity of the shuttle was the only good thing about the location of the hotel... otherwise, it was quite a way out from any of the "usual" attractions.

Can't remember if it was the Air France shuttle or not - but, it may have been. You can buy your tickets when you board.

Fran