Concerned about Tunisia port of call

Today I googled safety issues in Tunisia and there were advisories from the UK, Australia & Canada - but the ban has been lifted by the USA.

Seems kind of strange to me - and we sail on the 20th from Venice to Rome with a stop in Tunis, Tunisia.

We are quite concerned about the shore excursion planned there to Carthage (which looks very close to port) and to Sidi-Bou-Said - which looks like it's in the center of the country. I could be wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this port??

Today I googled safety issues in Tunisia and there were advisories from the UK, Australia & Canada - but the ban has been lifted by the USA.

Seems kind of strange to me - and we sail on the 20th from Venice to Rome with a stop in Tunis, Tunisia.

We are quite concerned about the shore excursion planned there to Carthage (which looks very close to port) and to Sidi-Bou-Said - which looks like it's in the center of the country. I could be wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this port??

Jms...I will be on the Ocean Princess too in La Goulette and therefore interested in any insight other cruisers might have. I am also on the Carthage/Sidi excursion.

Norris

Don't recall their being a ban, just a caution advisory.

This is the current US update, which I read as go, be be very aware of your surroundings and environment. This is an area where I might avoid a small group private tour...

"

Tunisia is in the midst of a political transition that began with the revolution of January 2011. Since then, security forces have been faced with political protests and an evolving terrorist threat. While the Tunisian government has renewed its commitment and effectiveness in addressing security concerns over the past year, challenges remain. The January 25, 2014 ratification of a new constitution and January 28 installation of an independent government resolved a political crisis that had continued throughout much of 2013. Parliamentary and presidential elections will be held October 26 and November 23, 2014, but campaigning will begin as early as September and a presidential run-off election may be required as late as December 31.

Despite this improved atmosphere, protests, demonstrations, and civil unrest can and have occurred with little warning throughout the country. When the last significant protests took place in Tunis in the summer of 2013, they were non-violent and not directed against U.S. citizens or foreigners. However, U.S. citizens should be aware of a persistent anti-American and anti-Western sentiment held by several groups in country. While the ability of Tunisian Government forces to control civil unrest and demonstrations has improved since 2013, there remains potential for incidents of this type to reoccur. U.S. citizens should avoid large crowds and demonstrations, as even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful have the potential to become unpredictable. U.S. citizens should be alert and aware of their surroundings.

Terrorism also remains an increasingly significant concern. Tunisian nationals have been involved in international terrorism, and international terrorist organizations have on multiple occasions called for attacks in North Africa, including in Tunisia. On August 27, 2013, the Tunisian government officially designated the group Ansar As-Sharia in Tunisia (AAS-T), a group with known anti-U.S. and anti-Western sentiments, as a terrorist organization. The Tunisian government continues security force operations against AAS-T and al Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM). Most attacks by these terrorist organizations have targeted Tunisian security forces and government installations. The most recent attack was on July 16, 2014, which killed 15 Tunisian Army soldiers near the Algerian border. Terrorists also conducted two failed suicide bombings at tourist sites in Sousse and Monastir in October 2013. The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens in Tunisia continue to maintain a high level of vigilance. U.S. citizens should exercise caution when frequenting public venues that are visited by large numbers of foreigners, such as hotels, shopping centers, tourist sites and restaurants. U.S. citizens should also be alert to the possibility of kidnapping. U.S. citizens should monitor local events, report suspicious activity to the local police, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security.

Travelers contemplating trips to the interior of the country should assess local conditions and routes when making travel plans. In particular, all travel south of the designated military zone in the south must be coordinated in advance with Tunisian authorities. Also, travel to either border should be avoided if possible given the periodic security incidents along the border regions, including the Mount Chaambi region near the Algerian border where security operations continue against armed extremists. The Tunisian National Guard encourages persons traveling into the desert to register their travel beforehand. For details on how and where to register, please visit the U.S. Embassy’s desert travel page.

Tunisia has open borders with Algeria and Libya. Nevertheless, developments in Libya continue to affect the security situation along the border areas. The RasJedir and Dehiba border crossings may be closed occasionally and access to both crossings is strictly controlled by Tunisian security forces. Travelers should consult with local authorities before travelling to the border between Libya and Tunisia, and should refer to the Department of State’s Country Specific Information and other international travel safety and security information for Libya and Algeria. Some crossings may be closed occasionally and access is strictly controlled by Tunisian and Algerian security forces. Travelers should consult with local authorities before travelling to the border between Algerian and Tunisia and read the Department of State’s Travel Warning for Algeria.

Government security forces, including the army, police, and National Guard, are visibly present throughout Tunisia. Travelers should heed directions given by uniformed security officials, and are encouraged to always carry a copy of their passport as proof of nationality and identity. Security personnel, including plainclothes officials, may at times place foreign visitors under surveillance. It is against Tunisian law to photograph government offices and other security facilities. Suspicious incidents or problems should be reported immediately to Tunisian authorities and the U.S. Embassy."

Princess canceled calls in Yalta and Odessa due to the problems in Ukraine. We have had other ports canceled when political conditions were not good. Although we had to cancel this cruise the other day, I am confident Princess will not put passengers in a dangerous situation

We were down to visit Tunisia last October on the Ruby and at the last minute they cancelled it and put Malta as the port instead, it was far more interesting in my opinion. On another forum I frequent in the UK La Goulette was one of the ports voted bottom of the desire to visit list and most people stayed on the ship.

Why they don't stop at Malta more often is beyond me.

I lived in the Middle East for five years, several years before the recent uprisings.

My advice is to go on a guided tour, preferably a ship's tour. Don't wander into strange areas on your own.

Also, be careful where you eat and what you drink. Never eat or drink from street vendors or crappy looking restaurants.

Tunisia is fine as a port stop. The VERY FEW parts of the country that might be troublesome are far in the south of the country, near the desert.

I spent two weeks in Tunisia last fall visiting Roman sites and it was absolutely safe.

As another poster said, Sidi Bou Said is at most about a 20 minute drive from the Carthage site.

We have experience with 3 Tunesian ports (Tunis, Gabes and Sous) where DW and I simply went off and did our own thing without tours, guides, etc. Personally, we found Tunesia a fascinating place and really enjoyed being on our own so we could interact with locals and do what we pleased. Once, about 20 years ago, we did have an unpleasant experience trying to get back into the port at Tunis when the port security hassled us about our ID...but we think of that as just part of the adventure :).

As to the concerns of the OP, if you do have fears we recommend sticking with your tour group and guide. If you really feel frightened about getting off the ship your other choice is to simply stay on the ship! We have seen cruise passengers who were so phobic about ports that they seldom got off ships at any port, and would often tell us that we were "crazy" for going anywhere on our own (which we have done for over forty years in about 100 countries).

Hank

We have seen cruise passengers who were so phobic about ports that they seldom got off ships at any port, and would often tell us that we were "crazy" for going anywhere on our own (which we have done for over forty years in about 100 countries).

Hank

Geez. Why go at all ? They could stay home sitting on their living room couch and watch it all on Travel Channel (tongue in cheek)

While we are not quite as adventurous as you Hank, we do like to DIY in ports where it is feasible for us. Or sometimes we just like the ease of a private tour. We have done ships tours (not often) and that is perhaps the most safest "feeling" tours of all. Its all about each persons comfort zone

BUT to not get off the ship at all ? I cannot even imagine (unless there are severe mobility issues) …. just can't imagine :eek:

Been to La Goulette a few times now, always on a ships tour but with free time to wander in the souks, Sidi which has some pretty little streets/alley ways etc. Absolutely fine as long as use common sense as with any ports around the Med although probably less likely to get your pockets picked in Tunis :)

There's an American cemetery not far from Sidi which is well worth a visit imho.

Do get off the ship and enjoy, other than a relatively new port complex with some shops, sometimes some local musicians and the camels of course there is not much to see or do at the port side.

This was the only port that we used the ship excursion two years ago on the MSC cruise. If you really don't want to leave the ship, you can enjoy the camel rides at the port and visit the stores in the 'village' at port. But, it's a shame not seeing the country when you are there.

Touroperators in Europe are offering package holidays to Tunisia again at a large scale, they would certainly not do that if the country was not safe. Although the country is relatively unknown to North Americans, 7 million (mainly European) tourists visit Tunisia each year.

The general opinions of most western European countries is that you only have to use real caution in the border areas with Libya and Algeria in the deep south (where tourists have no reason of going).

Of course, using caution in any foreign country is always advisible, wherever you go. Also remember that Tunisia is a muslim country, so dress fairly modestly. In the coastal areas you will see tourists in shorts and bikinis, but especially if you go inland, people are still very traditional.

Edited by UKBayern
typo

Also, be careful where you eat and what you drink. Never eat or drink from street vendors or crappy looking restaurants.

Yes, this is a real problem in Tunesia (and also in Egypt). Do not drink the tap water, and refuse any drink with ice cubes. If you are on a guided tour, rely on your guides' advice where to eat.

Oh yeah - don't trust the ice cubes !!!!!!!! Even at an upscale hotel (Le Meridien) in Cairo I did (on the advice of our guide) and was the first one with Mummy Tummy in our group of 11 on the tour. There is some wonderful over the counter meds you take for it (our concierge brought some up to our room) that takes quick care of it………

but don't trust the ice cubes :eek:

We visited Tunisia on an MSC cruise in 2012. Camels with their owners met us at the dock. I rode a camel for $5. Then we took the public train to Carthage at the recommendation of a fellow cruise passenger. It was crowded and hot. I felt very conspicuous in shorts and a brief top. I would NOT recommend this stop. Ride a camel then get back on the ship. I had some mean stares from the Tunisian men on the train. It was not a good feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Zebradogs

Jms...I will be on the Ocean Princess too in La Goulette and therefore interested in any insight other cruisers might have. I am also on the Carthage/Sidi excursion.

Norris

Hi Norris

I did the that excursion (ship's tour as the political situation was a bit dodgy at the time) and made these. It was a very good day but you do need some imagination at Carthage as there's not a lot left from Roman times. SBS is a pretty little town but I would have preferred less time there and a chance to go into the American cemetery. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]d5KJCAV9uks[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]YZ5OQfUMAco[/YOUTUBE]

As UKBayern has already mentioned, thousands of European tourists visit Tunisia every year, but wouldn't go there if there were any problems. I have eaten food from a local takeaway type restaurant in Egypt. It was very tasty and I didn't have a tummy upset at all.

No cruise line is going to dock if there is unrest or potential problems. We missed a stop in Tobago as there was some kind of demonstration taking place. We docked in St Vincents instead.

I certainly wouldn't stay on board the ship, that would be a waste of a day of my holiday.

As UKBayern has already mentioned, thousands of European tourists visit Tunisia every year, but wouldn't go there if there were any problems. I have eaten food from a local takeaway type restaurant in Egypt. It was very tasty and I didn't have a tummy upset at all.

No cruise line is going to dock if there is unrest or potential problems. We missed a stop in Tobago as there was some kind of demonstration taking place. We docked in St Vincents instead.

I certainly wouldn't stay on board the ship, that would be a waste of a day of my holiday.

I worked in Saudi Arabia for five years and visited Egypt twice. My Egyptian friends told me not to eat at just any place. One said only four star hotel restaurants type or higher.

Another friend failed to follow that advice and picked up a parasite that doctors could not get rid of.

We visited Tunisia on an MSC cruise in 2012. Camels with their owners met us at the dock. I rode a camel for $5. Then we took the public train to Carthage at the recommendation of a fellow cruise passenger. It was crowded and hot. I felt very conspicuous in shorts and a brief top. I would NOT recommend this stop. Ride a camel then get back on the ship. I had some mean stares from the Tunisian men on the train. It was not a good feeling.

Hmmm perhaps that is what happens when you visit a Muslim country dressed in shorts and a brief top……. ??? That is akin to walking around in New York city in a bikini :eek: Sheesh.

I worked in Saudi Arabia for five years and visited Egypt twice. My Egyptian friends told me not to eat at just any place. One said only four star hotel restaurants type or higher.

Another friend failed to follow that advice and picked up a parasite that doctors could not get rid of.

It basically boils down to common sense and trust. I have a fairly "iron" constitution and little changes in food and differences in local water don't generally bother me. As I mentioned earlier, I was in Tunisia for two weeks. I never had a problem with the food or water, but was careful in what I chose to eat/drink. Some folks in our group (in fact, a lot of them) did get sick, although whether it was a virus or a result of the food is difficult to determine.

It's best to follow the advice of guides and experts when traveling to countries that have some challenges with food and water safety. In Egypt, I have eaten street food with no consequences -- but only because my guide (who I trusted 100%) -- said this particular vendor was okay. The same guide also would go into the kitchen in local restaurants and even on our Nile boat to check that the food prep was up to standard, then would advise us what was okay to eat and drink.

So you disrespected local culture and got a few "mean stares" -- and because of this you would not recommend this stop? :rolleyes:

What I would not recommend is not being aware of local culture and mores before visiting somewhere new.

Forgot to bring my burka. I was originally NOT getting off the ship but was later persuaded by others. Big mistake. I'm a grey haired 65 year old lady. But American is written all over me and EVERYONE I was traveling with. MSC ended the stop in Tunisia. The cruise line did NOT tell us what to wear but I was in a Mediterranean cruise and was packed for that. Sorry I've upset everyone on this board. Forget me and my comments. It'll make you happier.

Forgot to bring my burka. I was originally NOT getting off the ship but was later persuaded by others. Big mistake. I'm a grey haired 65 year old lady. But American is written all over me and EVERYONE I was traveling with. MSC ended the stop in Tunisia. The cruise line did NOT tell us what to wear but I was in a Mediterranean cruise and was packed for that. Sorry I've upset everyone on this board. Forget me and my comments. It'll make you happier.

I have visited La Goulette (Tunis) a few times now. Back in 2009 Ocean Village and MSC 2012, former with a blonde girlfriend we cycled and all wore shorts. Nothing in the cruise compass regarding dress code but were advised blondes get a lot of attention (correct).

Nothing in the MSC compass either but am sure we got advice on dress but was deemed suitable for shorts, t-shirts. Had no issues what so ever, other than death stare when I said prices for something too expensive in the souk. He apologised later.

As others have said though, it is mainly a muslim country and some may have never seen or come into much contact with an American (scary at the best of times lol). I found the people reasonably friendly as far as friendly goes in North Africa :-)

Unless you are visiting older farther away cities and/or mosques then you would cover your knees, shoulders, head (women).