Costa Maya Zip Line?

AESONRISA

• 3 weeks later...

We just did this!! We did not book through NCL--we booked directly through the company and it was $30 cheaper per person!

Through the company you get a taxi drive there and back--the driver waits for you! Booking through the cruise ship puts you on a large bus

The drive is an hour no matter how you get there, but I prefer the taxi--we stopped and got pineapple from little girls and a man named Otto (from the Bio Maya company) gave us the ten peso coin to do so. (cruise ship folks on the bus do not stop for pineapple)

Because of time, you can only zip between 4 towers, but they are VERY long zips (like over 1000 feet--many zip companies do zips of only a few hundred). You also do NO climbing up anything. You do a short hike in the woods, a great bumpy and noisy ride on an old logging truck through the jungle, and then strapped into equipment. The guides are all SUPER helpful and VERY concerned with safety.

My favorite guide was David. His English is not great, but he is learning and his sing song voice regailing you with local lore about the trees and plants and animals kept a smile on my face for 2 whole days. I loved this trip!

• 1 month later...

I believe the Costa Maya zipline may be the BioMaya Bacalar. They have a website but it is in Spanish as well as the prices (Mexican), but you can get an idea from the photos if this is for you. http://www.biomaya.com.mx/

Norwegian describes it as :

Adult Pricing From:$114

You'll meet your bilingual guide at the end of the pier and take a jungle bus to your canopy ride, a circuit of zip lines over the tree tops of the most biodiverse jungle in the Yucatan Peninsula. The circuit consists of tandem steel cables strung from 60-plus feet iron towers; the distance between the towers varies from 165 to 825 yards. With a big emphasis on safety, this is a zip line tour the whole family can enjoy. Unexpected encounters with macaws will astonish you. The last zip line will send you down to Bacalar Lagoon, where the water varies from turquoise, to light and electric blues. Back on land you'll walk the interpretative jungle trail, a narrow road across the jungle where nature and culture meet. This spiritual path ends in the reception area, where the bathrooms, lockers, souvenirs and picture store are located. Note: Participants must be at least 7 years of age, weigh between 100 lbs to 265 lbs and at least 4 feet in height. This tour is not recommended for pregnant women, guests with diabetes, back or neck injuries, heart conditions, asthma or any other pre-existing or recurring medical conditions.

From the Norwegian Cruise line , I read a review that it is an hour ride from Norwegian's port and another 1/2 truck ride thru the jungle. Plus 30 minutes to suit up and then wait for your turn, so I don't know if its worth the bulk of your shore time just to ride the zips for 15-20 minutes.

Edited by pllegends

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just got back on the GOS and did this tour.It was fun and we did 4 zips.They were very safe and our guides were GREAT.We took a 1hr. bus ride with a tour gide who gave us alot of info on the town.(very poor area and hit hard by hurrican Dean).Then we went on the zips and headed back.It was worth it!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a great time at BioMaya. Otto from Costa Maya tours went so far beyond any expectations, I would recommend him 1000%. We stayed 12days in a casa in Majahual. On our 3rd attempt to get to BioMaya (1st appointment our son was ill, 2nd Alex was on his way). We had a fixed time to arrive but due to a flat tire and no way to get off the spare, by the time we got it fixed we figured our day was shot. Soon after Otto actually drove 20mins down the (nasty) beach road to check on us. He called the park and we were good to go! Not sure why we had to be at the park at 7:45am, meaning waking up at 5am....:confused: Arrived around 10am and had the park to ourselves. The ziplines are looooong, in St.Lucia they are faster but done in seconds. And the view! WOW...

The pineapple town was a hoot!

David was an excellent guide but... I really hate to say this, but he told one to many `let me tell you a Mayan story`. Between his ok english and the roar of the ancient Ford 550 I could make out about a quarter of what he said.:o I assume the cruise ship tours don`t do the inner tubes ride in Lake Bacalar. 25mins of pulling yourself on a slimy rope wasn`t relaxing, I would have rather canoed it. Shame then don`t do a side trip for food in Bacalar, only 10mins away and a beautiful authentic, old Mexican village.

I'm not sure what other ports you're going to but both Roatan and Belize have zip lining as well. In Roatan we've gone twice. Both times we booked through Victor Bodden but went to two differant places. I think the first was Jungle zip and was really good. The second was at Victors and was not quite as good as the first but we still had a great time. We had time for lunch and the beach for something like $70 a person. In Belize I think Major Tom is doing a combo river cave tubing (a blast, but a good 1 hour drive) and zip line. I'm sure you can get more info on the treads for Roatan and Belize.

We did a huge group with Otto at Bio Maya when staying with a family wedding group. We waited until there was no cruise ship in port to do the trip. As with another poster we did the drive stopped at Pedro Santos Bakery and to purchase some pineapples and oranges on the road side.

First off we were the second group to do the Zip Tour, the first was late so we had to wait in a rough parking lot as there is only one large army type transport bus which takes you down to the ZipLine Admin area where you pay, they set you up with your gear and give everyone a quick training info session before heading through the jungle to walk to the first Zip Tower.

Note: During the walk there is a talk on the history of the area which if you are at the front of the group is very interesting, but if you are behind a bit not so easy to listen.

Also Mosquitos on the trail as you walk can be voratious.

Once you reach the first tower a double winch is sent down where two persons are hooked into two slings and winched up to the platform for the first of your 4 zip line trips. The view is stunning and the staff is great on each of the 5 towers you will see. We viewed 5 parrots flying around us as we all zipped away. We had young and old, including my Dad who has a heart condition, but refused to not take part.

My mom did the I will walk, not zip and had to pay 35.00 (I think the cost was 35.00)to just walk and if we were to do this again that was not money well spent, not at all, she would have stayed at the bakery or in Bacalar and enjoyed the beautiful Fort and the Views of Lake Bacalar. Instead she walked to the end and had to fight the Mosquitos etc.

At the end of the fourth zip we did the tubes in the lake, some kayaked and some just swam. We loved the lake, we did not pull ourselves on the rope we just swam and had fun jumping in and swimming etc. There were at least 20 0f us. We asked to please have the truck pick us up as the long walk through the jungle was way to mosquito filled for us to be able to enjoy the beautiful jungle.

I also would suggest to anyone to use Otto at Bio Maya, and do it prior to arrival through Otto not the ship you are travelling on.

A taxi would be better than the bus or a rental car, of which there are not many in Mahahual so the rental cars are pricey, all of the taxi's we used during our 2 weeks in Mahahual were fantastic. Enjoy the beautiful Mahahual as we did. Otto also offers many other tours and I would recommend him to any one, I used him for all of our family tours.

• 3 years later...

from what I have been able to figure out there is still a zip line in Costa Maya but is now being booked by:

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/CostaMayaZipline.html

Big question to remain is it is still being offered through the cruise lines? Anyone been to Costa Maya recently that could tell me?????

I've added this to my bucket list because it's tandem and takes you over water and just sounds amazing.

Too good to be true? I hope not. I've wanted to do this since my first cruise in 2008

• 5 months later...
from what I have been able to figure out there is still a zip line in Costa Maya but is now being booked by:

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/CostaMayaZipline.html

in 2008

I found another company doing it as well:

http://www.mayanadventuretours.com/current_category.12/Product.1/tours_add.html?t_product=1

$89 Adult pp