Rate Costa Maya on a 1 to 10

ajtraveler66

Trying to determine our FIRST W. Caribbean itinerary. Lots of spots to choose from. We want the best itinerary. The ship/cruise line is secondary to some degree.

So...how does Costa Maya compare in relation to some of the other spots such as Key West, Honduras, Belize, Cozumel, Cayman Islands, etc.?

I don't give a hoot about shopping. Mainly scenery and nice beaches and a sense of feeling safe.

All input appreciated. Do not have to confine your comments to Costa Maya...as there (to my knowledge) is no general Caribbean forum.

All these ports are beach/watersport intensive. If that's not your thing or if you're looking for something more, you have to hunt to find it, if at all.

I'd give CM an 8. But then I happen to have enjoyed several of the malecon spots, albeit try to avoid others even though its the same strip of sand. If you get sucked into those places, CM will quickly drop to a 5. There are a couple of good AIs south of the malecon with nice beach sand. North of the cruise port, cruise line snorkel excursions go to a decent spot for shore snorkeling and there's some good off shore reef snorkeling if your ship is there long enough. Native Choice offers great Maya ruin tours if you want to see such things. But the cruise port is overpriced and not a great on amenities, limited beach, swim up bar, typical shops. And outside of beach and ruins, not much else to do. Biggest drawback is the lack of any real time here from a cruise ship perspective.

Roatan (Honduras) gets a 10 for shore and off shore snorkeling and beaches and plenty of zip line courses (best in Western C.). But a 7 overall as there's limited shops and non-beach restaurants and bars, expensive taxis, less activity other than beaches although island tours can be interesting scenically.

Belize is a must excursion port with excursions being focused on snorkeling/beaches on small islands and again Mayan ruins. But I like Belize. Many don't. I give it an 8, mainly because cave-tubing is unique to the Western C. ports.

Cayman Islands is really on Grand Cayman and is terribly expensive, especially the tourist oriented bars and restaurants and shops near the tender piers. But it does offer what now become an over crowded but unique excursion to see stingrays and be able to hold and touch them. 7 mile beach is a good beach. And if you drive around to the other side of Grand Cayman, you'll find nice beaches and decent local dining options. I rate it a 6.

Cozumel has some variety. Many of the western beaches are pay-as -you-go and have similar amenities. Eastern beaches have limited swimming options but the vista overall is very scenic with rocky shores and blowholes, etc. There are really good bars and restaurants off the typical cruiser/tourist track with low cost but excellent food and local beers and tequila drinks. You waste $$$ here at the tourist oriented spots. But the few non-beach oriented excursions aren't that exciting. Good off shore snorkeling from private vendors. Okay shore snorkeling at only a couple of western beaches. I like Coz for the local stuff and the non-crowded beach clubs, so I rate it a 9.

Key West is no longer the Key West of myth and 20 years ago. Very tourist oriented, mostly walking around. Once you've seen 3 chickens, Hemingway's cats, and had your picture taken at the southern most point in the US, you're stuck with drinking over priced drinks at ersatz "old" bars, and eating factory made key lime pie. But if you've never been there, worth seeing once. 7 on my scale.

Edited by crewsweeper

I have been to many of the ports, and it is really hard to compare my rankings with others. I am not the kind of person who is over-the-top happy with a simple beach day. I want history, culture, nature, and adventure. With that said...

Cozumel: 7 (We have done Chankanaab, Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, and will be doing dune buggy tour to Punta Sur this winter)

Costa Maya: 6 (Malecon, snorkeling, fishing, and Pez Quadros)

Belize: 9 (We have done Altun Ha ruins, River Wallace boat, cave tubing, and we will be snorkeling and visiting Caye Caulker this winter)

Roatan: 10+ (Best snorkeling!!! We have done West End beach, private island tour, Maya Key, and will be doing West End beach again this winter)

Grand Cayman: 7 (We have done the Sting Ray City and snorkeling tour, and want to try the Turtle Farm int he future)

You can read detailed picture intensive review of the ports and excursions mention above in my cruise review: Norwegian Jewel to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976718

Cozumel: 10 (been there several times. Our visit to Tulum makes it a 10)

Costa Maya: 10 (been there once, saw Kohunlich Mayan Ruins. Fantastic!)

Belize: 10 (been there once, saw Lamanai Mayan Ruins. Outstanding!)

Roatan: 5 (Nice, but nothing special)

Grand Cayman: 5 (just OK)

It's best to see these places yourself and then draw your own conclusions about each one. As you can see, we are into history. Happy cruising. It a great way to see the world!

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 2 weeks later...

Be cautious about having your heart set on seeing a particular port; there is always a chance that you will miss a port for various reasons, weather probably the most common. I've been on cruises that missed Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, and Belize.

Wherever you go, do research on the various excursions, both on here and on trip advisor. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Cozumel: 10 (been there several times. Our visit to Tulum makes it a 10)

Costa Maya: 10 (been there once, saw Kohunlich Mayan Ruins. Fantastic!)

Belize: 10 (been there once, saw Lamanai Mayan Ruins. Outstanding!)

Of the three which did you enjoy the most? Recomendations?