Maya Chan??

randig

We are sailing on the Vision in November and our stop in Costa Maya is from 7-3. We have been to Maya Chan before and loved it but with a longer stop for the day. We would love to book again but not sure if there is enough time to enjoy it. Has anyone booked it with a ship in port the same amount of hours and did you really get to enjoy it? If not can anyone recommend another beach area in Costa Maya that might be closer to the port that is just as nice?

Does the Vision use ship (embarkation port)time or switch to local time? I know that clubs along the malecon are open early if ships are arriving early. Possibly true for Maya Chan as well. You can double check. It does seem a bit early for any AI type drinking and eating, but early morning is my favorite beach time. But when you think about it you can still get in 5-6 hours at the beach. That's a long time.

As far as alternatives, there's Almaplena a slightly shorter distance fromt he port than MC. Along the malecon (the 5 minute taxi ride) there are beach clubs with AI packages. But with one or two exceptions, these all are "walkon" places too. So if you're thinking that you won't get your money's worth out of an AI package, these might be the spots for you. Try Tropicante (where you can make reservations in advance to guarantee loungers), El Faro, next door, Black Pearl, or Pez Quadro for the better of these beach clubs. These are mainly in the center of the malecon. Clubs nearer the north end tend to get crowded sooner and tend to have more aggressive lounger hawkers and less quality in service and food. All have beach massages available for an extra charge.

However, DO NOT expect the water and the sand to be the same as MC. The currents are different here. The breakwater/reef makes the water much more shallow and more prone to sea grass. There's boat and water craft traffic across the malecon beach front too. :(

That said, don't dismiss the malecon beach clubs based soley on the water not looking like a picture post card. You can still have a great time there.:)

Does the Vision use ship (embarkation port)time or switch to local time? I know that clubs along the malecon are open early if ships are arriving early. Possibly true for Maya Chan as well. You can double check. It does seem a bit early for any AI type drinking and eating, but early morning is my favorite beach time. But when you think about it you can still get in 5-6 hours at the beach. That's a long time.

As far as alternatives, there's Almaplena a slightly shorter distance fromt he port than MC. Along the malecon (the 5 minute taxi ride) there are beach clubs with AI packages. But with one or two exceptions, these all are "walkon" places too. So if you're thinking that you won't get your money's worth out of an AI package, these might be the spots for you. Try Tropicante (where you can make reservations in advance to guarantee loungers), El Faro, next door, Black Pearl, or Pez Quadro for the better of these beach clubs. These are mainly in the center of the malecon. Clubs nearer the north end tend to get crowded sooner and tend to have more aggressive lounger hawkers and less quality in service and food. All have beach massages available for an extra charge.

However, DO NOT expect the water and the sand to be the same as MC. The currents are different here. The breakwater/reef makes the water much more shallow and more prone to sea grass. There's boat and water craft traffic across the malecon beach front too. :(

That said, don't dismiss the malecon beach clubs based soley on the water not looking like a picture post card. You can still have a great time there.:)

Crew, is this correct -I thought Almaplena was furthest south?

Crew, is this correct -I thought Almaplena was furthest south?

I stand corrected:o. Almaplena is further south, by about 3 miles. For some reason in my head I've always placed them closer.:confused: Don't know why; maybe because I knew Maya Chan was at one time the furthest south and just put Almaplena in the middle. I apologize for giving false directions.

I stand corrected:o. Almaplena is further south, by about 3 miles. For some reason in my head I've always placed them closer.:confused: Don't know why; maybe because I knew Maya Chan was at one time the furthest south and just put Almaplena in the middle. I apologize for giving false directions.

No problem - just wanted to check I had it right. I am researching for my upcoming cruise and have not been to either. Many years since we had a local ship going to this area!

almaplena-L.jpg

Even though Maya Chan is closer, with such a short visit in Costa Maya, I personally feel like it wouldn't be worth it to travel to either place (MC or Almaplena).

As much as I don't really care for the malecon, it seems to be the best choice when you have an early departure in Costa Maya and a decent way to spend the short hours you are there.

There are plenty of reviews and suggestions of places up and down the Malecon OP that you can choose one that best fits your needs. :)

Edited by mitsugirly

• 3 weeks later...

We were there in May with a 7am - 3pm itinerary. LOVED IT!! Would have loved more time, but we still had a marvelous visit. They say they provide breakfast, so not to eat before you come. Eat breakfast on the ship. We got a fantastic snack upon arrival but it was not a full breakfast by any means.

The lunch of course was absolutely incredible and I would anticipate this will be our 'go to' place every time we visit Costa Maya in the future.

I was really impressed with the small bottle of champagne that was chilled and awaiting our friends to celebrate their 20th anniversary and the palapa next to us had children and they arrived to find a pail of sand toys for the kids.

I would highly recommend going, even with the very early morning arrival.

• 2 months later...
Even with one hour less I would still go. All four of us in our group thought it was one of the best highlights of our vacation!

Yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking. I've combed through the reviews and this excursion is universally loved. Thanks for helping me confirm my feelings. :)

Was at Maya Cham two weeks ago off the Vision. Captain Lis did change the time on the ship to mirror "real time." It took us about 35 minutes to Maya Chan and it was so wonderful. My son and I each had very good massages and enjoyed talking with Mark, David and Jane. I don't know about expanding but they do have a brand new treehouse!

Personally I would go even if I only had two hours there.

Was at Maya Cham two weeks ago off the Vision. Captain Lis did change the time on the ship to mirror "real time." It took us about 35 minutes to Maya Chan and it was so wonderful. My son and I each had very good massages and enjoyed talking with Mark, David and Jane. I don't know about expanding but they do have a brand new treehouse!

Personally I would go even if I only had two hours there.

Omigosh, do you have pics of the treehouse??????

We have booked the treehouse for our day in January.Mark sent me photos in an email.I can email them to anyone who wants to see it.

Would love to see the treehouse!! Can you send to me at fruitfly at shaw dot ca?

I didn't realize you could book the treehouse itself ... how much was it?

Edited by CanadianDee

We have booked the treehouse for our day in January.Mark sent me photos in an email.I can email them to anyone who wants to see it.

Can you not post them on here for everyone who finds this thread can see it? If you email them to me, I'll host them and post for everyone. mitsubishigirl19 hotmail