Misleading travel article about Cunard

Austcruiser84

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/the-cruise-director-the-queen-mary-2-20140227-33jwa.html

I love reading travel articles, especially ones about Cunard. However, I must say I am rather disappointed with a recent commentary on the Cunard Queens that appeared in Australia's Sydney Morning Herald.

The writer commented on the themed nights in what I would consider an inaccurate way. She used the phrase "to further complicate matters" after commenting on formal night etiquette. I felt that this implied that Cunard dress codes were difficult to comprehend and rather strict.

While I have no issue about strict dress codes (I prefer them), I really disagree that dressing for dinner on Cunard ships is 'complicated'. There is no obligation to attend theme nights, or to pack costumes - yet I feel the author is suggesting it is mandatory by the way the article is written.

Furthermore, she recommends Cunard to the senior citizen crowd. I found my Cunard experience to be a real mix of ages.

While I'm aware I'm unlikely to avoid sparking another dress code thread, my main question is this:

Do you think travel articles such as the one above are damaging to Cunard's plans to diversify its passenger base?

I think it says more about the sophistication of the writer not the Cunard brand.

It also says a great deal about her reportorial skills or lack thereof. It's sad that some people might be dissuaded from sailing with Cunard because of misleading stories like this. But who knows? Perhaps the prospect of traveling the seas with a ship full of pharaonic passengers will

draw a slew of archaeologists and antiquarians onboard.

Edited by Thaxted

It is a sad situation. The press publishes for the crowd. The crowd want's to read what they already new before, only to confirm their opinion.

Unfortunately it is nowadays the crowd that writes. I don't read this press anymore. Other sources offer much faster and non manipulated information.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/the-cruise-director-the-queen-mary-2-20140227-33jwa.html

I love reading travel articles, especially ones about Cunard. However, I must say I am rather disappointed with a recent commentary on the Cunard Queens that appeared in Australia's Sydney Morning Herald.

The writer commented on the themed nights in what I would consider an inaccurate way. She used the phrase "to further complicate matters" after commenting on formal night etiquette. I felt that this implied that Cunard dress codes were difficult to comprehend and rather strict.

While I have no issue about strict dress codes (I prefer them), I really disagree that dressing for dinner on Cunard ships is 'complicated'. There is no obligation to attend theme nights, or to pack costumes - yet I feel the author is suggesting it is mandatory by the way the article is written.

Yes, I think it's inaccurate too. Only a couple of people get into the themes so it's a bit silly to suggest that it "complicates matters" when next to nobody actually dresses up for the themes.

Furthermore, she recommends Cunard to the senior citizen crowd. I found my Cunard experience to be a real mix of ages.

So did I - until I boarded Queen Elizabeth.

Do you think travel articles such as the one above are damaging to Cunard's plans to diversify its passenger base?

Based on my recent experience on QE, I can assure you that Cunard has no plans to diversify its passenger base beyond people in their 60's and above.

Whitemarsh:

It could be that QE and QV attract an older crowd than QM2. That seems to be the case judging from what I've seen on these boards.

It also depends on the itinerary. New York to Sydney via the Pacific doesn't tend to attract younger people - lots of sea days is possibly part of that.

I hope that you didn't feel isolated on board? Was the conversation excellent, or we're people distant and boring?

Grills I assume?

Whitemarsh:

It could be that QE and QV attract an older crowd than QM2. That seems to be the case judging from what I've seen on these boards.

It also depends on the itinerary. New York to Sydney via the Pacific doesn't tend to attract younger people - lots of sea days is possibly part of that.

I hope that you didn't feel isolated on board? Was the conversation excellent, or we're people distant and boring?

Grills I assume?

I have just disembarked off of the Queen Elizabeth in Sydney after 39 days on board. It was a brilliant cruise and great mix of people. No-one had to dress up on theme nights but I did like the fact that Cunard do have a dress code. We had 11 formal nights on this cruise and it is so nice to see lovely long dresses and men in dress suits. If people want to be casual they can cruise with another line. Whitemarsh, it was great to meet you.

How was your Voyage Whitemarsh?

It was great thank you. The itinerary was amazing, especially the Panama Canal - everyone should do that. Loved Hawaii, I'll think I'll go back there for a holiday.

The suite was amazing and I have to admit the Grills area on the Vistas is better than the equivalent on the QM2. The views from the QG are fantastic.

Whitemarsh:

I haven't been on QV, but I think this may well be the case. QE is certainly smaller that QM2 and takes less time to get around.

I don't see why younger people wouldn't like sea days. I'd be surprised if your upcoming Mediterranean cruise on QE doesn't skew older, despite the lack of sea days.

I hope that you didn't feel isolated on board?

Rest assured that I didn't feel isolated, however it was very clear that people in their 30's were pretty much nonexistent, with people in their 40's just as rare. I've never experienced a cruise before with such a disparity between the generations.

And that's not to say I don't find older people interesting and enjoy talking to them, because I do, but I prefer a mix of generations.

Was the conversation excellent, or we're people distant and boring?

Well it depends who you're talking to doesn't it. :)

Grills I assume?

Yes, Queens Grill.

I have just disembarked off of the Queen Elizabeth in Sydney after 39 days on board. It was a brilliant cruise and great mix of people. No-one had to dress up on theme nights but I did like the fact that Cunard do have a dress code. We had 11 formal nights on this cruise and it is so nice to see lovely long dresses and men in dress suits. If people want to be casual they can cruise with another line. Whitemarsh, it was great to meet you.

You too Pat. And I love the formal nights as well, I agree that everyone that dressed up looked lovely.

Whitemarsh:

I don't mind if people are older on my upcoming QE cruise. Just so long as they dont wear singlets to dinner as occurred on my last Princess cruise. I suspect it won't be a very old crowd due to the late June/July sailing and the Med destination.

Saw the QE in Sydney last Saturday. Looks nice, but has nothing on QM2's exterior.

Britannia for me on QE, but I'll sample QG on QM2 several days before boarding QE. Looking forward to being spoiled either way.

I read it as the 'dressing up' for theme nights was compulsory, very misleading to the new cruiser. 'The writer travelled on QM2 courtesy of Cunard', wonder if she will get any more 'freebies'! We have had many cruises on P&O and found that the 'theme' nights only got a few dressing up.

Whitemarsh,

Can I ask you how you found the music levels in the QG and The Grills lounge, The Courtyard and private deck area, we have been driven away from Celebrity by their desire to deafen everyone. Our first cruise was an inside cabin on QE2 in 1991, and for next cruise in 2015 to celebrate our Golden wedding we are considering a top end suite on QE or QV depending on the iteneries when they are released.

Richard

What is a singlet, Austcruiser84? I am unfamiliar with the term.

Isn't it what wrestlers wear. Ideal for a formal night.

The article is a joke, very little information and what there is is wrong.

David.

While I'm aware I'm unlikely to avoid sparking another dress code thread, my main question is this:

The writer gave her e-mail address in her article. Why don't you e-mail her and express your concern about Sydney Morning Herald readers possibly misunderstanding her reference to theme nights.

I see she is transparent about accepting a freebie from Cunard so I'd think they would have expressed a concern if they had one.

My guess is that the author of that piece did not experience a themed night on board. If she had, she would have witnessed how limited is the number of passengers who dress in the "suggested" costumes, with the exception of the iconic Black and White Ball. Reading the Cunard website for recommended costumes - which is what I suspect she did, is obviously not the same as the actual experience of a themed ball.

It also seems to me that the author does not have much experience of the Cunard Line in general. If she had, she would have noticed that the age of passengers differs by voyage. For example: cruises during the summer or during school holidays, generally include more younger passengers, as do shorter cruises. Longer voyages that take place during school semesters are generally taken by those with the freedom of time and income to do so - more often than not, they are retirees. I believe this applies to all cruise lines based on my limited experience of 15 cruises on 3 different cruise lines (the majority of which were on QM2).

Austcruiser, in answer to your question "Do you think travel articles such as the one above are damaging to Cunard's plans to diversify its passenger base?" - Incorrect information as contained in that article does a disservice to both the reader and the cruise line. But I suspect that prospective passengers will take more into account than that one article when deciding their holiday plans - at least I hope so!:)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

There is another way of viewing this. The article also exposes the hypocrisy of those who insist that one part of the Cunard dress "recommendations" be observed to the hilt - but other parts of the recommendations less to their liking are to be ignored.

For example, there ARE recommendations for the themed nights - but it seems to be the general consensus here that they are and should be ignored.

"To further complicate matters, Cunard holds themed balls that involve full-on fancy dress: the Egyptian Ball, for example, requires gentlemen to don Pharaoh or Tutankhamen costume and ladies to appear as Egyptian empresses or in Cleopatra kit. As someone who still has to learn how to pack light, the idea of bringing my own Egyptian-style outfits presents a massive challenge - dresses and accessories for formal nights are almost a cinch in comparison."

There is then also the other matter where the Cunard recommendations imply that gentlemen should not wear shorts in the dining rooms at breakfast and lunch - another matter generally poo-poohed here :)

No - supporters of the dress code should also have a wonderful Pharohnic outfit ready for their next cruise. :)

Barry

There is another way of viewing this. The article also exposes the hypocrisy of those who insist that one part of the Cunard dress "recommendations" be observed to the hilt - but other parts of the recommendations less to their liking are to be ignored.

For example, there ARE recommendations for the themed nights - but it seems to be the general consensus here that they are and should be ignored.

"To further complicate matters, Cunard holds themed balls that involve full-on fancy dress: the Egyptian Ball, for example, requires gentlemen to don Pharaoh or Tutankhamen costume and ladies to appear as Egyptian empresses or in Cleopatra kit. As someone who still has to learn how to pack light, the idea of bringing my own Egyptian-style outfits presents a massive challenge - dresses and accessories for formal nights are almost a cinch in comparison."

There is then also the other matter where the Cunard recommendations imply that gentlemen should not wear shorts in the dining rooms at breakfast and lunch - another matter generally poo-poohed here :)

No - supporters of the dress code should also have a wonderful Pharohnic outfit ready for their next cruise. :)

Barry

Barry, I see a difference between a requirement (following the dress code) and a suggestion (dressing in costume for a themed ball).

"Suggested Attire For Theme Nights & Balls

You are not required to follow the theme dress in the same way you are required to follow the dress code of the evening (i.e. formal or informal)..." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

To my way of thinking, following a requirement but not a suggestion makes not someone a hyprocrite. -S.

Edit to add: Regarding the Great Shorts Debate - the following quote is very clear in stating that shorts do not meet the dress code for either breakfast or lunch in the main restaurants.

"During the day

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth)." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

Edited by Salacia

Barry, I see a difference between a requirement (following the dress code) and a suggestion (dressing in costume for a themed ball).

[/url]

Salacia

You have probably emphasized the crux of this "problem" -- cruiseline "Dress codes", including Cunard's, are NOT a requirement, but they are suggestions/recommendations by the cruiseline for the guidance of passengers.

I am not sure how you can read anything mandatory (as in required) into the Cunard dress recommendations. It is because they are only recommendations that it allows people to accept some and not others. The hypocrisy comes in when they then argue that the bits they agree with are in fact mandatory while the bits they don't agree with are only recommendations.

Barry

Salacia

You have probably emphasized the crux of this "problem" -- cruiseline "Dress codes", including Cunard's, are NOT a requirement, but they are suggestions/recommendations by the cruiseline for the guidance of passengers.

I am not sure how you can read anything mandatory (as in required) into the Cunard dress recommendations. It is because they are only recommendations that it allows people to accept some and not others. The hypocrisy comes in when they then argue that the bits they agree with are in fact mandatory while the bits they don't agree with are only recommendations.

Barry

Barry, Cunard specifies a "required" dress code. It is mandatory in the sense that passengers who do not follow the dress code can be refused entry to the main restaurants (and yes, I have seen that happen) and perhaps turned away from some other venues on the ship. Cunard also makes recommendations for themed nights, but clearly states it is not mandatory to follow those suggestions.

I don't know if passengers are being hypocritical when they argue about mandatory versus recommended, or if they are simply uniformed or confused about the dress code. Anyway, it's not my concern what others wear or their reasoning behind it - I have only to worry about my own attire :) -S.

Edited by Salacia

Salacia

I know what has been and still is "customary" - and have no argument with it. What I do have argument with is the concept that the Cunard Dress code is compulsory in any way.

Firstly - we here in Australia, when attempting to connect to the Cunard website Cunard.com, are redirected to a website Cunardline.com.au. On that website you can search and book cruises -- however nowhere in it can I find any reference to dress at all. I may be mistaken, but deliberating looking for a reference, I cannot find any.

But I do have an old 20102-13 Cunard glossy printed brochure. Under "TERMS and CONDITIONS", there is no reference to dress at all. However under "FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS", advice is given regarding dress, including that evenings are designated as being formal, etc - with a description of what that means. However -- much more specific in the FAQ - is this:" SHORTS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE MAIN DINING ROOMS"

The fact that these matters of dress are included in a mere FAQ page and not the Terms and Conditions page make the matter a little debatable in my view. However their statement regarding the wearing of overly casual wear in the main dining rooms eg shorts is unambiguous!!!!. Why do they then not make the wearing of Formal wear on Formal nights equally unambiguous.??

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

The World Cruise of Queen Elizabeth

Does attract an older crowd

That's because who else has the time

And $$$ to cruise for 2 or 3 months ?

I did an 8 day transatlantic on the QE

And it was on the last leg of the world cruise

Back to Uk

The passengers who boarded in NY

We're very diverse . Younger , Gays,

Singles , other nationals than the UK

The world cruise clientele is older

Personally the author lost all credibility with this statement, "Dressing up is de rigueur for formal nights on such high-end cruise lines as Cunard, Crystal Cruises, Princess Cruises, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn and Silversea..."

Princess high end?

There's nothing wrong what so ever with Princess, but I would hardly put them in the same sentence as the luxury brands Regent, Seabourn, etc..