Request to change out canapés for cheese and crackers... any suggestions?

DaisyFire

In just a few weeks now, we leave on our first 14 day cruise out of Miami on our first S-class ship. Needless to say I am beyond excited!

This will be our third time in concierge. Both previous times were on the Constellation. And having read here on CC that you can ask to change out the canapés for cheese and crackers, we did just that on our first cruise on the Connie, but did not have success with that request on our second cruise just last March.

When meeting our steward on embarkation day, I made the request but was told that they could not do that because the kitchen that services the canapés is different. Of course, I took him at his word as I had no reason to question what he said - plus I am a bit conflict averse, so am not one to push the envelope unless it is something really important. (I had intended to give him a $20 tip as a thank you for honoring the request - but was not about to offer it after he said no, since I did not want to be perceived as trying to bribe him.)

Since that cruise, I see folks post on CC that they do still request and get the cheese and crackers to replace the canapés. So... I will try again. However, if I get another 'no' - I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on the best way to push back a bit without actually being too pushy. Some folks just know what to say and how to say it to get what they want... so just trying to get some ideas so I am prepared. :D

Ask and write it on the order form. We have not had a problem but friends on another deck did--they ended up taking it to guest services to get resolved because their steward wasn't interested in making sure it got communicated to the kitchen. By the way, often they send saltines as the crackers, FYI. The cheeses can be quite nice so if we remembered, we'd grab nice crackers from the Oceanview to keep for the afternoon. The cheeses were often also accompanied by grapes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask and write it on the order form. We have not had a problem but friends on another deck did--they ended up taking it to guest services to get resolved because their steward wasn't interested in making sure it got communicated to the kitchen. By the way, often they send saltines as the crackers, FYI. The cheeses can be quite nice so if we remembered, we'd grab nice crackers from the Oceanview to keep for the afternoon. The cheeses were often also accompanied by grapes. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's very simple. It's a cost and convenience thing. They really don't want to do it but would for the few that asked. As with many other things, when people on Cruise Critic tell others that they can get whatever they want and everyone starts asking they bring it to a halt. All you can do is give it a try. If cheese is really important to you, order it from room service.

We asked our steward to have the canapés discontinued and he said something has to be delivered and asked if we would prefer a cheese plate. We said sure and then usually put it in baggies in our fridge for future consumption. As was previously stated, most days we just received saltines along with 4 different slices of cheese, grapes and walnuts. This was on the Equinox cruise ended 2/10. It was nice but I would have been fine without the canapés.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

It's very simple. It's a cost and convenience thing. They really don't want to do it but would for the few that asked. As with many other things, when people on Cruise Critic tell others that they can get whatever they want and everyone starts asking they bring it to a halt. All you can do is give it a try. If cheese is really important to you, order it from room service.

that is exactly what we did on the Connnie in our C1 aft cabin. We had friends up for sailaway twice and had nice cheese platters from room service to share with our guest.

Room service is great. you can order a cheese plate each day if you want.

I do like the canapes we got each day and also the fruit.

Since it is obvious that you can order it from room service daily I would at the time of the conversation ask if he would place a daily order with room service for you for 5 pm delivery (or whatever time). I suspect that would trigger the proper behavior. If still no just order it from room service.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I had seen some suggest room service before - but when I checked in March I did not see cheese and crackers on the onscreen order form, so didn't think that was an option. If this can be requested by calling room service, then it's probably just better for me to make that specific request for those afternoons when we'd like to have wine on our balcony in the late afternoon. :cool:

And NemoCrownie, I find it interesting that they told you that you HAD to have something delivered. When onboard the Connie back in March, we got a card each night to leave out indicating if we wanted (or didn't want) canapés. When we forgot to leave it out, we didn't get anything the next day.

We have always asked for a fruit and cheese platter instead of the canopies and have never been denied this request. As others have posted, it is usually a small variety of cheese, some dried or fresh fruit and saltines. There have been times when a different variety of cracker was brought, but we also did as a previous poster stated and took crackers from the buffet to keep in the room. Problem with this and especially on a humid cruise, the crackers can go stale fairly quickly so try to keep them as dry as possible. This time we will be in a suite so it will be a different experience for us. We do enjoy having the small cheese tray for when we are relaxing on the balcony or getting ready to go out. Hope it works for you this time.

I always have them stop brining the canapes and have never been told they have to deliver something.

Maybe it was just our room steward trying to be accommodating, I have no idea why he would say this. I had read they could be discontinued and we weren't feeling the need for any afternoon snacks in our room. He was fantastic, though, going above and beyond at every turn.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My husband is allergic to fish and as the canapés often contain fish, we always ask our steward at the beginning of each cruise if we can have a cheese platter instead and, so far, we have always been successful (including our Baltic cruise on the Eclipse last summer)! I hope neither of us will be disappointed this cruise as I know we're on the same cruise. Good luck and I look forward to meeting you in 6 weeks!!

I always have them stop bringing the canapes and have never been told they have to deliver something.

It may have just been our stateroom attendant feeling like we should be getting something, I don't know why he said this but he offered several options and we selected a daily cheese plate..

We had adjoining rooms once with our sister-in-law. She would ask for a fruit plate and we would ask for the cheese plate. Worked out great because we all had nibbles of both. The canapes weren't that great and small.

Things have changed. Now they want you to be there or at least tell them if you want canapes. They use to just leave them. Tell them if you would like a cheese or fruit plate instead. Most cabin stewards are very accommodating. Of course there are some that hate their job, although we have never had this problem.

Since for us we got to worry if we would be in the cabin or not so we just cancelled the appetizers all together. Before dinner we stop by the buffet and grab some cheese, crackers or bread, some fruit and a cocktail/wine. We take that back to our cabin to enjoy while we dress for dinner. To be honest, doing this is better than the canapes they serve.

At night we always grab some munchies to enjoy in our cabin, like pizza and a glass of wine at the buffet, unless of course it just too late.

It's just canapes folks. Get exactly what you want and bring it back or rush to your room to make sure you're there for the canapes. Yes, it's a nice perk, but it's not the end of the world if you miss out. You can also order canapes on a daily basis. They just don't want wasted food, which is understandable.

Don't miss out on ordering breakfast in you cabin though. Yummy!

I always have them stop brining the canapes and have never been told they have to deliver something.
We do the same, as we would rather go up to the buffet or the grill or the aquaspa cafe to choose our own afternoon snacks as the mood strikes us, instead of being tied to a set delivery schedule with limited choices.

Much greater variety to choose from that way, with no need to decide in advance what we will be in the mood for later.

Additionally, it provides us a good reason to walk around and get some exercise, and is very easy to do when we have a regular stateroom, with no butler.

But whenever we have a suite, the butler doesn't like us to do that.

If he catches us, he usually shakes his head disapprovingly and says that we should have called him to get it for us.

We then explain that we didn't decide what we wanted until we saw it, and it would be silly to call him at that point, when we were standing right there in front of it.

Now that the butlers are busy in Michael's Club in the afternoons though, in addition to getting the snacks from Michael's Club, it is much easier to "sneak" other snacks back from other venues on the ship without getting caught. :o