Tips for bringing bottles?

tbag124

We are cruising with our 5 yr old and 8 month old so I will have to bring bottles. Any tips that make it easier? Do you just bring a small container of dish soap? She is on Similac Total Comfort so a powder bc they don't make it in Ready to Feed.

Any tips for cousin with a baby so young welcome! My sons first cruise was when he was 20 months and he did great but we didn't need to worry about bottles, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family always used the plastic bottle that had the disposable liners (Playtex comes to mind). Just bring a few nipples and cleaning supplies for them and use the disposable liners.

my daughter uses the dr browns bottels w/ the long vent so i dont think the disposable liners will work. someone else suggested that to me too. that would definitely make it easier but i think they wont work. maybe i should grab a pack and try

DS was 10 months when we cruised. He is mostly breast fed, but had a few bottles when his grandparents were watching him. We took this and a sample/travel size dish detergent (we got babyganics from BRU just because it was the perfect size) and it was perfect for bottles + breast pump parts.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Travel-Drying-Bottle-Brush-/dp/B00AA7O4CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428683563&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+bottle+rack

DS was 10 months when we cruised. He is mostly breast fed, but had a few bottles when his grandparents were watching him. We took this and a sample/travel size dish detergent (we got babyganics from BRU just because it was the perfect size) and it was perfect for bottles + breast pump parts.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Travel-Drying-Bottle-Brush-/dp/B00AA7O4CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428683563&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+bottle+rack

This is great! Thank you!!

Breast feeding is the easiest! No bottles needed! No washing, no mixing...just feed on the go!

But, the disposables would be my next choice!

Yah, but if the kid is 8 months old, it's a little late for this as a plan B :p

I never cruised with my kids when they were that young. First trip my son was a year. I think at that age we were transitioning to homo milk. I think when we made the switch to milk we also made the switch to cups.

God, my kids are only 7 and 9 but that seems like a lifetime ago!!!!!

If milk, and cups are an option, maybe that's better than trying to worry about bottles? I think at that age, they are also on rice cereal, are they not?

Maybe the cruise is a good transition to the next stage of feeding/drinking.

Yah, but if the kid is 8 months old, it's a little late for this as a plan B :p

I never cruised with my kids when they were that young. First trip my son was a year. I think at that age we were transitioning to homo milk. I think when we made the switch to milk we also made the switch to cups.

God, my kids are only 7 and 9 but that seems like a lifetime ago!!!!!

If milk, and cups are an option, maybe that's better than trying to worry about bottles? I think at that age, they are also on rice cereal, are they not?

Maybe the cruise is a good transition to the next stage of feeding/drinking.

It seems like the OP's baby is still 4 months away from transitioning to milk (and not something I'd do on vacation anyway). The tap water should be fine for making bottles. Most babies are still eating soft food at this age.

Breast feeding is the easiest! No bottles needed! No washing, no mixing...just feed on the go!

But, the disposables would be my next choice!

:rolleyes:

my daughter will be 8 months old. is this a serious reply? Not sure what you mean by disposables either. I stated previously, the formula she is on is powder only. I'm pretty sure you just wanted to promote breastfeeding, so yeah, thanks. :rolleyes:

It seems like the OP's baby is still 4 months away from transitioning to milk (and not something I'd do on vacation anyway). The tap water should be fine for making bottles. Most babies are still eating soft food at this age.

Yes, correct, thank you. No milk yet. She needs to be on formula til 1 year. I was going to bring a case of water for the bottles b/c I wasnt sure about the ship's water. She does eat soft foods now as well which I know disney will provide in dining rooms plus i will bring some of her snacks and purees.

We brought bottles for my daughter on our last cruise. I packed 3 of the ones she normally used and a bottle brush in a big ziplock bag. I used bath soap from the ship to wash them. She was drinking milk at that time, but if I was still using formula, I would probably have used bottled water if it was easily available or drinking water from the ship. The hardest part was keeping an eye on where my girl was setting down her bottle so we didn't lose it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know it seems a shame to have to do dishes on vacation but it is what it is when traveling with a baby. My oldest was 15 months old on his first cruise and still took bottles. Later, we would still need sippy cups for him since he wasn't ready for an open cup. He had a dairy allergy so when I weaned him from nursing at 12 months, we had him on soy formula until he was 18 months. My usual routine was to pack enough for one day's worth of bottles so we wouldn't have to wash them in the middle of the day. I brought the tub of formula since that lasted us a week and a few small ziplock bags. We would generally have the diaper bag with us all the time whether out and about on the ship or in port, had portioned out scoops of formula into bags for each bottle, and kept clean empty bottles in the diaper bag. If you have other cups or dispensers for powdered formula, that would work too. You could also pre-portion directly into the bottles if they are well sealed (ours were missing their caps). We didn't want to pre-mix and have a bottle sit out in the caribbean heat all day. We used the ship water, and would fill a reusable bottle for port days. We packed a small bottle of dish soap, and the bottle/nipple brushes. At the end of each day, after DS went to sleep for the night, I'd take a few minutes to wash the day's bottles. We would just lay them out on the sink counter on a wash cloth to drain and dry. Before going to bed, I would prep the next day's pouches of formula and reassemble our bottles so we were ready to go in the morning. Oh and definitely have a way to tether the bottle or any pacifiers and toys to your baby or stroller - one of ours is a thrower and would not be a happy camper if she realized she's not getting her bottle back because she managed to pitch it overboard!

Most ships dining rooms can prepare purees for your little one, or cook veggies until really soft which was great for my 15 month old. Friends of ours cruised with us when their DS was 7 months, and he loved gumming thinly sliced cucumbers and the staff offered to puree whatever vegetables were available that evening. For my son, we packed single-serve sizes of his favorite snacks for port days since you can only take pre-packaged food off the ship and we needed to accommodate his allergy. We also found the small boxes of cereal in the buffet in the morning to be a handy snack for him. For my friend's infant, they packed pouched baby food and got him accustomed to eating from the pouch without a spoon. It's so much easier than using tubs/jars and having to bring spoons everywhere. Other feeding implements that were handy were disposable bibs, and we packed a couple disposable bowls and lids (Take n toss ones). We figured DS was able to self-feed to a degree but was not ready for real dishes, they got washed with the bottles at night, but I wouldn't be upset if any were lost. We also used disposable adhesive placemats on high chair trays so that he could eat off the tray directly.

Enjoy your trip with your little one!

Edited by NJfoodie

I definitely agree with the disposable bibs!! We took some of the Gerber tubs of baby food and some pouches and DS also are some table food (I can't remember if he was doing that at 8 months or not, I think maybe just starting it?). We took some of the take n toss spoons and washed/reused them but had extras and knew it was ok if a few got lost. We took those wipes made for toys/high chairs/etc to clean off the high chair and tray before we put him in it. The disposable adhesive place ate are also good if you think your LO will be doing finger foods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk