Seward to Anchorage Airport Distance/Transportation?

swimyfish

:confused: How far is Seward to the Anchorage airport?

I just realized after reading some posts that it sounds like it's far? How do the cruise lines expect you to get back to the airport? What's the cheapest option?

Our flight doesn't leave until 5 pm out of Anchorage and I thought we would have time to explore but nwo I am relaly confused at the distance from Seward to Anchorage??

:confused: How far is Seward to the Anchorage airport?

I just realized after reading some posts that it sounds like it's far? How do the cruise lines expect you to get back to the airport? What's the cheapest option?

Our flight doesn't leave until 5 pm out of Anchorage and I thought we would have time to explore but nwo I am relaly confused at the distance from Seward to Anchorage??

Here are miles/times from between Seward and Anchorage:

Seward to Anchorage:

Miles/km:128/206

Car - 2:30 hours

Bus - 3:00 hours

Train - 3:30 hours

Air - n/a

Your cruiseship should have a transfer option for you if you want it. Check with your travel agent.

You can rent a car in Seward. Hertz is your only option. It will be expensive since they will charge you a hefty drop off fee in Anchorage.

There is also a bus that some people have mentioned. Here is the link:

http://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule.html

but he did so because that is where he anchored his ship!

The actual anchorages in Anchorage are poor due to extreme tides and currents.

You will see a few freighters in the harbor at Anchorage, often serving the military facilities, but it is a very, very rare event for a passenger ship to come to the city of Anchorage.

The Alaska ferry system does not serve Anchorage.

Both the ports of Whittier and Seward were developed during WWII to provide all year around freight service and conveying military persons to Anchorage and interior Alaska.

Does every cruise come in to Seward or are there any ports closer to the airport? I had no idea they were so far apart!

Only options are Seward and Whittier. Whittier is about 60 miles from Anchorage. You can get to Anchorage via train, bus, or rent a one-way car. Again, your cruiseline would be offering you a transfer if you wanted to take advantage of that. Or you could spend time in Whittier on a PWS cruise, or in Seward on a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Seward also has a sealife center, Exit Glacier, Godwin Glacier Helicopter Excursion, Seaveys Dog Cart Rides. There really is a lot to do in Seward if you are so inclined.

Here are miles/times from between Seward and Anchorage:

Seward to Anchorage:

Miles/km:128/206

Car - 2:30 hours

Bus - 3:00 hours

Train - 3:30 hours

Air - n/a

[/url]

These are inaccurate.

By car allow 3 hours, Alaska RR is 4+++ hours, but cruise contracted trains go direct to the airport. You can charter a flight to Anchorage from Seward.

With a 5pm flight, your most "opportunity" option is the one way rental car. Although costly, what you can get in "experience" is way superior compared to just "transportation" between the two cities.

The rental car could offer you some am sightseeing in Seward, a couple stops along the Seward Highway and a late lunch before heading to the airport at 3pm.

In Seward, you can be off your ship around 7am, if you choose to.

does anyone know how long it takes to drive from seward to whittier. trying to figure out what time to leave for the cruise ( SB island princess) which says it departs 9:30 pm. I am not sure what is the latest we need to be on board, anyone know.

Archived